PDA

View Full Version : Robert George Marsh

Phoenix
13-11-09, 11:29
Name - "official" name and what they were known as Robert George Marsh -probably known as Bob, like his grandson
Date and place of birth 29 June 1860 Wingfield Street, Portsea
Names of parents Daniel Marsh and Mary Elizabeth Newman
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 6 January 1861 at All Saints, Portsea, together with his elder brother Joseph
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any to Catherine Turner 24 December 1882 at Crofton, Hants
Occupation(s) - if any Coach painter (in 1911 for the Southsea Carriage Company) 1887 - shopkeeper, per his father's will.
Military service - if any None
Addresses where they lived Wingfield Street, Basin Street, Agincourt Road - all in Portsmouth, Hants
1860 - Wingfield St at birth
1861 - Kingston Place at baptism
1861 Census 2 Kingston Place Portsea
1864 - possibly in Bishop's Lane Portsea, where his mother died
1865 - St Marys St Portsea - where his father remarried
1871 11 Waltham Street - with Dad, step mum, sister Polly & two step-brothers, both wrongly given the surname Marsh
1881 157 Upper Wingfield St - with Dad & stepmother Rebecca Rumble
1882 Crofton - but probably just to save money on the banns!
1887 41 Hertford Street - where he quarrelled with a neighbour over a cat and in the resulting court case his father dropped down dead.
1891 13 Basin Street
1892 Basin Street
1891 (and to his death) 129 Agincourt Rd
Date, place and cause of death 26 July 1836 at the Royal Portsmouth Hospital. His wife had died a few months earlier. Allegedly, he took the opportunity of her death to chop down a tree he had always disliked, which she insisted he keep.
Cause of death:

shock
haemorrhage
varicose ulceration
From the Portsmouth Evening News:
28 July 1936
In loving memory of our dear father who passed away peacefully at the Royal Hospital July 26th. From his loving sons & daughters, sons in law, daughter in law & grandchildren, also his sorrowing sister Polly. Reunited with dear mother. Two of the best.
30 July 1936
The sons daughters & relations of the late Mr Marsh of 129 Agincourt Road wish to thank all the friends, neighbours, members of the Brotherhood, & Blind Institute for the beautiful floral tributes & great kindness shown during their sad bereavement. Also thanking the doctors, sister& staff of the Victoria Ward, Royal Hospital for their great kindness & care during his brief illness.
Date and place of burial / cremation.
Probably at Kingston Cemetery, on or before 30 July.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Fairly sure I checked for a will, but they would have been living in rented property and although he haunted bric a brac shops & auctions, I don't think he had anything will-worthy to leave
Memorial inscription - if any

Merry
13-11-09, 11:44
As you don't have a birth marriage or death for him, could we have a rough idea of when he was around?!!!

marquette
13-11-09, 12:00
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Date and place of birth PORTSEA ISLAND Sep Q 1860 2b 323
Names of parents Daniel Marsh and Mary Elizabeth Newman
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Occupation(s) - if any Coach painter
Military service - if any None
Addresses where they lived Wingfield Street, Basin Street, Agincourt Road - all in Portsmouth, Hants
1861 Census 2 Kingston Place Portsea
Date, place and cause of death
Date and place of burial / cremation.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Fairly sure I checked for a will, but they would have been living in rented property and although he haunted bric a brac shops & auctions, I don't think he had anything will-worthy to leave
Memorial inscription - if any

added some details

Phoenix
13-11-09, 12:14
Thanks, Marquette, for giving a bit of context!

Am just too slow at this! I do have his birth, marriage & death cert - somewhere!

marquette
13-11-09, 12:17
no trouble, but I am too tired now to search for his marriage and death, maybe later, if you cant find the certs.

Di

Phoenix
16-11-09, 18:23
Back off home to check cause of death & see if I can find the details of the death notice.

Phoenix
18-11-09, 13:16
Death notice duly inserted, but cause of death, though presumably accurate, doesn't actually explain the circumstances of his death.

soccerbear97
07-03-14, 18:34
Just found Robert's marriage listed at http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcriptions/Parishes_C/Crofton/Marriages/marriages.htm. It lists Catherine's father's name as Elias.