PDA

View Full Version : How can I find out about a marriage in Australia?

JessBow
30-07-13, 07:00
I was told of a person that married in Australia, Prob Melbourne, in the early 1980's

We are trying desperately to recall the name of the wife! As I didn't now that the marriage had even taken place, how can I find out?

I'd like to find out for definite if this person did marry, (I am not convinced myself)

Does anyone think its possible to find out, or are the registers not available that late?

Help!

tenterfieldjulie
30-07-13, 07:25
Sorry Jess the marriages are not available that late supposedly because of privacy issues !!
It is possible that the marriage may have been recorded in newspapers, but you would probably need a place and date. If you would like to send me the people's names by email I will see if I can find anything. The Trove newspaper database is only up to the 1950s. I hope to get into the library in Sydney next week and I will check and see if they have copies of the Victorian papers. Cheers. Julie

JessBow
30-07-13, 07:30
I guess I will never know then.

Thank you . x

Mary from Italy
30-07-13, 10:55
Ancestry has the electoral rolls up to 1980, if you think it might be worth a look.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1207&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

And if either party has died, burial information may well be available after that date.

If they're still alive, you could also have a look at the Australian phone book, to get an idea where they live.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/

HarrysMum
30-07-13, 11:05
Jess. Flick me a pm with the name and I'll look at the rolls if you can't.

JessBow
30-07-13, 11:47
Ancestry has the electoral rolls up to 1980, if you think it might be worth a look.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1207&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

And if either party has died, burial information may well be available after that date.

If they're still alive, you could also have a look at the Australian phone book, to get an idea where they live.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/

The marriage ( if it indeed ever happened) will have been between 1981 and 1992, the person was deffo still in UK in 1981, and came home to die , in late 1991

Yes one of the party has died, but he came back to the UK before he did so, I know all about his death

Bit of a non starter isn't it really?

HarrysMum
30-07-13, 12:00
I suppose it's not a rare surname?

Mary from Italy
30-07-13, 12:15
If the marriage did happen, there's a fair chance there'd be a notice in the papers, but it'd be a long job to search a decade's worth of newspapers unless they're indexed.

Mary from Italy
30-07-13, 12:18
The next of kin can apply for the cert:

http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/family+history+faqs/

Mary from Italy
30-07-13, 12:22
Do you have the English death cert? Was a spouse mentioned?

Shona
30-07-13, 13:45
If he died in the UK, there may be a local newspaper announcement or obit which mentions the wife's name.

Margaret in Burton
30-07-13, 15:07

If he died in the UK, there may be a local newspaper announcement or obit which mentions the wife's name.

I don't want to say anything out of turn but I believe Jess knew this person very well and would have been privy to the obit and death cert.

Shona
30-07-13, 15:58
Thanks, Marg. Understood.

JessBow
31-07-13, 07:16

Yes I do, no she wasn't

JessBow
31-07-13, 07:16

There was, and she wasn't mentioned.

JessBow
31-07-13, 07:17
If the marriage did happen, there's a fair chance there'd be a notice in the papers, but it'd be a long job to search a decade's worth of newspapers unless they're indexed.

How would I find out which paper to search?

JessBow
31-07-13, 07:20
I suppose it's not a rare surname?

There are currently 10 people on LinkedIn with exactly the same name ( forename AND surname )

Mary from Italy
31-07-13, 13:34

I doubt if you'll find anything online for that period, but if you look at post #2, you'll see that Julie from Tenterfield offered to have a look in Sydney library if you send her a PM with the details.

tenterfieldjulie
31-07-13, 22:04
Jess, I'll try and hope his name jumps out at me from Vic, not sure if I'll have time today or whether it will be next week. I will also be in WA in Sept and will go to the library in Perth and see what I can find. Julie

JessBow
01-08-13, 12:08
Thank you Julie, much appreciated. Have got a cousin of mine onto it too, he still lives in the vicinity but doesn't recall it happening.

marquette
02-08-13, 04:05

I have done a fair bit of Melbourne and Victorian research, although I live in Sydney.

Do you have any idea where in Victoria ? Do you want to PM me any names and details you know ?

This is a link to local papers of Melbourne, with their coverage areas - http://www.newspapers.com.au/melbourne.html.

I could also look at later Electoral Rolls (post 1980), which are on microfiche at the State Library, but I would have to have an idea of which electorate, as they are not indexed. He may be on the Electoral Rolls if he was resident British Citizen in Australia for six months, before the 1984 change (to be Australian Citizen to enrol).

Have you searched for his name in the National Archives of Australia ? He was here only a relatively short time, but there might be something.

Diane

JessBow
02-08-13, 05:51
Nothing in that Archive, but thanks.

I believe he stayed with a ( now Deceased) relative , certainly to begin with, so prob not on Elec roll, although I don't know the address of that rellie either!

marquette
03-08-13, 00:33
Well, I could start with the deceased rellie, if you like. Sometimes the roundabout way does bring some clues.

Di

Kit
04-08-13, 11:34
I have access to the Sydney Morning Herald online from 1955 onwards (after Trove). I can have a look to see if it made that paper if you want to tell me the name Jess. I don't know what Vic papers I have access to but can look at them as well.