PDA

View Full Version : Transcription help

Lindsay
27-07-13, 19:30
I'd be really grateful for some help with the Will I'm trying to read at the moment - I can't seem to make sense of any of the bequests.

This is the first one:

Edit: whoops, that didn't work. I'll try again in a mo

Lindsay
27-07-13, 19:53
Second attempt (the word at the end follows on a new line):

Phoenix
27-07-13, 20:07
Phillip Poyton dowter?

could that be Phillipa.... daughter?

Lindsay
27-07-13, 20:15
'Daughter' was the only thing I could think of, but it continues 'unto Thomas Poynton of Leighton Buzzard' .

Unless it means daughter of Thomas Poynton? Later he leaves something to 'Thomas son of Thomas Poynton'

Lindsay
27-07-13, 20:34
Phoenix, you're a star! Looking at it again and reading it as Phillippa means the next sentence is no longer complete gibberish.

Thank you!

kiterunner
27-07-13, 22:11
It looks like Phyllyp but the end is smudged so maybe Phyllypa. But I think Philip was sometimes used as a girl's name in those days.

Lindsay
28-07-13, 09:19
I agree there doesn't seem to be an 'a' at the end. But since whoever wrote it also missed an 'n' out of the surname I won't be too precious about it.

Philip seems to be one of those words that I just can't 'get' in old writing - churchyard was another, but having come across it a few times now I'm learning:)

Lindsay
28-07-13, 18:44
Just to confirm you were right, Kiterunner, Philip could be a girl's name - Familysearch have her baptism. Philipe Pointon, Leighton Buzzard, 10 Feb 1588, female, father Thomas Pointon.