PDA

View Full Version : India records

Kit
26-07-13, 06:07
I forgot to cancel my findmypast.com worldwide sub and it automatically renewed, luckily for the $60 I paid last year, rather than the large price it is now, as I found the search facility useless. In the 'we just renewed your sub' email it said there would be India records released "soon".

As I have been waited about 2 years since it was announced that fmp were digitising the India Office records I am very excited and hope that is what they are referring to.

FMP.co.uk on FB deny all knowledge and FMP.com are not replying via FB or their contact page as I want to know if the records are only available with the worldwide sub or if they will be part of the .co.uk full british sub as I'd prefer that.

I know there are people on here who are also interested in the records so I'll let you know when I have some more news.

Kit
26-07-13, 06:31
This is what FMP.com said on FB "Toni, timing hasn't been finalized for the new records. Keep an eye on the Facebook page and blog for all the latest updates. Additions to the U.S. site will also be added to the British site."

So no idea on time. It does sound like it will be available on the normal sub on .co.uk.

kiterunner
26-07-13, 09:47
If they didn't include it in the British sub, they would have to set up a whole other site for it.

Kit
29-07-13, 13:34
I just hope it is not part of the worldwide sub only.

kiterunner
29-07-13, 21:41
I don't think they could do that, Kit, because at the moment all the stuff that you need a world sub for on one site is included in the normal sub of another. But I suppose we can't be sure until it is launched.

kiterunner
18-10-13, 22:12
Ooh, an official post today on their blog says this:

You won’t have to upgrade to view British in India records as they are British governmental and company records, if you have a Britain full subscription you’ll be able to access them without an issue. Expect news on the release of these records shortly. - See more at: http://blog.findmypast.co.uk/2013/10/findmypast-and-familysearch-org-to-make-billions-of-records-available-to-search/#sthash.w9bup7GW.dpuf

Kit
19-10-13, 10:04
and this in reply to my comment:

The India Office collection is very near completion and has been a massive project, expect news on that very soon once we’ve put the finishing touches to what we have

that sounds promising :)

Kit
21-10-13, 01:24
They also say this:
As to Indian records there will definitely be more than just the BMDs, which is one reason why it’s taken such a long time to digitise such a collection!

kiterunner
21-10-13, 08:13
I'm hoping that wills are included.

Margaret in Burton
21-10-13, 12:00
I'm hoping that at last I might find the two marriages for my 3 x great grandfather Thomas Newey who spent 26 years in the army most of those in India.