PDA

View Full Version : Confused!

Merry
21-07-13, 10:51
Research for friend so nothing added to BK6

This isn't really very important, but I wondered what others think.

I was trying to discover the parents of someone called Hugh Francis Cleghorn b 1820ish. I have found him on various Scottish censuses all of which show he was born in India.

He has a Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Cleghorn_(forester)

This fits with what I know about his occ etc and the connection with Dr Robert Wight.

The reason I was looking at him at all was because I guess he is also a relative of Dr Wight given that the name Cleghorn crops up in other branches of Dr Wight's tree.

When I read the Wiki page I missed out the bit that says:

"He was the son of the first British colonial secretary to Ceylon, Hugh Cleghorn." (there is a Wiki page for him too)

but did take in the bit that says:

"Cleghorn was born in Madras on 9 August 1820."

Because I'd missed out reading his father's name I looked at the IGI and saw (extracted entry):

Name: Hugh Francis Clarke Cleghorn
Christening Date: 19 Sep 1820
Christening Place: DUNINO,FIFE,SCOTLAND
Birth Date: 09 Aug 1820
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Peter Cleghorn
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Isabella Allan

Correct dob, but wrong parents and place and an additional forename.

There is a marriage apparently for the above to Mabel Cowan in 1861 at Penicuik,Midlothian,Scotland. "My" man b India is show with wife Mabel in 1881(listed as J. P. Hugh Cleghorn) along with his Cowan in-laws.

So, I can't believe two men called Hugh Cleghorn were born to different parents on the same day on opposite sides of the world, so what's going on? (I have just edited out a list of suggestions from me!)

Olde Crone
21-07-13, 11:08
Merry

A quick search of the batch number for "Cleghorn" reveals three other baptisms to the same parents (Peter and Isabelle) so it does seem unlikely that the church entries are wrong.

We have discussed, have we not, on previous occasions that unlikely as it might seem, there can be two children both called Artemis Fortescue-Baggins in an extended family. You might need to work out if Hugh the elder and Peter are related.

OC

Olde Crone
21-07-13, 11:17
Oooh, but look!

Peter Cleghorn = Isabella Allen, 20 July 1819 Madras, India

Could the wiki be wrong?

OC

Merry
21-07-13, 11:18
Hmmm, yes (to everything you said, OC!)!

Perhaps the Wiki dob is wrong because they didn't notice the father's name was incorrect when they pinched it from the IGI?

Olde Crone
21-07-13, 11:34
How likely is it that someone would be born in Madras on 9th August and baptised in Scotland on the 19th September? Extremely unlikely I think, that a grand lady would undertake a sea journey just after giving birth. So.......are the church records "reported" records from Madras? I don't suppose it really matters if they are but it would explain the oddness.

Also - what would young Hugh/Peter be doing in Madras if his father was governor of Ceylon?

OC

Merry
21-07-13, 11:38
The date of death on the Wiki page ties in with the will on Scotland's people for the cha with three forenames.

I thought of a reported baptism back to the "home"parish, but the father's name differs too!

Might I find something on FIBIS?

Olde Crone
21-07-13, 11:49
*Struggles*

Perhaps Hugh senior was known by all and sundry as Peter?

I am not sure who/how a wiki entry is made but I did notice that one of the citations was by a somebody-Clarke, suggesting (to me!) some sort of family connection. If it was that person who made the whole entry, they may just have made a mistake and typed Hugh instead of Peter. there's plenty of evidence of a Peter but none so far of a Hugh.

OC

Merry
21-07-13, 11:50
Also - what would young Hugh/Peter be doing in Madras if his father was governor of Ceylon?

OC

There's this book:

The Cleghorn papers, a footnote to history;: Being the diary, 1795-1796, of Hugh Cleghorn of Stravithie ... first colonial secretary of Ceylon, 1798-1800

So, perhaps Hugh was the grandfather, not the father? An advert for the book in The Times also says this Hugh was a professor at St Andrew's Uni 1773-1793, so he was an adult by then. The other Hugh wasn't b until 1820 (potentially son of Peter)

Merry
21-07-13, 12:07
Ah-ha! Quote from:

http://archiveshub.ac.uk/data/gb227-msdep53

Hugh Francis Clarke Cleghorn MD (1820-1895) was grandson of Hugh Cleghorn.

Merry
21-07-13, 12:37
I think the baps of the children of Peter and Isabella Cleghorn were reported back to Scotland as there is a bap in Madras for their dau, Isabella, in Feb 1823 and an entry in Dunino, Fife for the same date!

Shona
21-07-13, 12:38
I have a few exampes with my Scottish lot, where Hugh and Peter are interchangeable.

Shona
21-07-13, 13:35
Have you looked at the images on SP. Perhaps there is a marginal note explaining matters.

Merry
21-07-13, 13:51
I have a few exampes with my Scottish lot, where Hugh and Peter are interchangeable.

Hmmm, fair enough, but I think I've now proved that Hugh (the Ceylon one) was the grandfather, not the father. Of course perhaps there were three generations of Hughs!

Shona
21-07-13, 14:22
Have read other posts - I think you've established that Hugh is the son of Hugh, too.

Merry
21-07-13, 14:49
None of which shows me if/how they are connected to the Wights!

Never mind, as it's probably not straightforward I'll leave it for now. This is one of those families where people are never content to marry their first cousin, always opting for the second cousin twice removed of their step-grandmother's second husband's granddaughter's father-in-law! (or similar :rolleyes:)

In fact, thinking about it, I'm surprised they are not already on OC's tree!!! lol

Olde Crone
21-07-13, 16:02
HA! glad that's sorted satisfactorily. Didn't know Hugh/Peter were interchangeable, never come across a Peter in Scotland (in my lot that is). I shall put that info behind my ear and smoke it later, thanks Shona.

Merry, you and your Wights set me off searching a few weeks ago and I have made a useful contact which has given me five more generations, lol. Interestingly, the contact didn't have my 5 x GGM (a hole in the records) and I didn't have his (same reason) but having compared notes we are convinced we have the same, correct family. There is a famous WIGHT in this lot too, a reverend, with lots of children with three forenames. So I may meet your WIGHTS elsewhere, you never know!

Incidentally, Cleghorn isn't a particularly Scottish name I wouldn't have thought, more Lancashire/Yorkshire (Cleggie from Last of the Summer Wine).

OC

Shona
21-07-13, 16:10
In Scotland, a Clegg is a horsefly.

Merry
21-07-13, 16:19
Ooooh, these Cleghorns and Wights etc are not mine!

I don't know if you remember my grandmother ditching Harry (the solicitor who dreamed of buying a croft in Scotland) during WW1 in favour of the more flamboyant Leonard? She married Leonard, but sadly he was a bigamist who also went to jail soon after their marriage for committing theft from the army (along with being a jewel thief), only for his mother to write to the King to ask for a royal pardon for him, which was duly granted, which led directly to him being made into cannon fodder within a few weeks?

Well, the people on their thread are ancestors and other relations of Leonard's granddaughter who I have been in touch with for some years! :)

Shona
21-07-13, 16:19
OC - I only have a few examples of the Hugh/Peter thing and I suspect those twigs were being contrary. And they were from Fife, like Merry's Cleggies.

Shona
21-07-13, 16:21
So we are chasing a different tribe of Cleghorns?

Merry
21-07-13, 16:28
So we are chasing a different tribe of Cleghorns?

A different tribe from which tribe? :confused: