PDA

View Full Version : Robert Harding

Phoenix
20-07-13, 09:33
I'm not sure whether I know a lot about this man, or very little.

Robert was baptised 9 December 1764, son of Robert Harding and Beata Cook in Woodford, Wiltshire. His parents and siblings remain in Woodford.

Robert marries Susanna Hibbard 3 February 1788 in Durnford, Wilts. This is a neighbouring parish. They have three children: Benjamin, Ann & Sarah before Susanna dies in 1797 in Durnford and is buried as Susan Harden, pauper.

This would appear to be the same man:
Salisbury and Amesbury County Petty Sessional Division
Justices' Minute Books B18/100/6 Jan 1801 - Sept 1802
Bastardy Order [no ref.] 19.05.1801
Contents:
Mother's Name: Hibberd Ann, Durnford
Father's Name etc: Robert Harding, Durnford labourer, female child born 23 March last
I presume Ann was his deceased wife's sister, though I have yet to find her baptism (fmp has huge gaps in its index)

So it would seem logical that the marriage of Robert Harding in Durnford 22 August 1802 to Sarah Downton is the same man.

11 August 1803, Robert signs up as a volunteer in the militia.

Phoenix
20-07-13, 10:00
Wiltshire OPC have tabulated militia in 1803 for Durnford, with names of dependents:
"In E182/1100 Part One we find the names of the following men, wives and children of Woodford and Durnford. These are shown in the table below
Harding Mary Ann Daughter of Robert
Harding Robert
Harding Sarah Wife of Robert"

I assume that children of the first marriage are not mentioned because they are already earning their own living.

The children of the second marriage all die young. Mary Ann, the eldest, was baptised 1 May 1803 - respectably after her father's marriage. She is buried 16 Jan 1814 - aged 18. So was she illegitimate, or couldn't they count?

Robert is "NAMED AS A TENANT IN THE WILL OF JAMES DEAR OF NETTON, DURNFORD MADE 19 SEPT 1822, PR 19 OCT 1826 WRO 1826"
Sarah is buried 11 October 1832 at Durnford: DIED OF SUDDEN PARALYSIS, AGED 54. LIVING AT NETTON.

Robert dies three years later: D OF DROPSY, AGED 56 and is buried 6 January 1835 at Durnford, being of Netton.

So... does a man manage to shave fifteen years off his age and nobody suspects? I can understand pretending to be a bit younger for the new wife and for getting work, but can a man in his seventies manage to look in his mid fifties? I've looked for other candidates for this man, but can find none convincing.

kiterunner
22-07-13, 16:50
Hmm, FamilySearch has a baptism for an Ann Hebbert 29 Aug 1756 at Idmiston, parents John and Ann, but maybe older than is likely for the Ann Hibberd mentioned in the bastardy order? Do you know the name of Susanna's mother's husband who left six years before Susanna's birth?

By the way, they also have the baptism of the child mentioned in the bastardy order - Ann Hibbard / Hibberd, christened 29 Mar 1801 Durnford, mother Ann Hibbard / Hibberd.

Phoenix
22-07-13, 18:12
That's got to be her. John and Ann had married in November the previous year. Thank you, Kite!

They had probably thought she was way too old to get caught, especially Robert.