PDA

View Full Version : William Winfield

Asa
19-07-13, 12:05
The surname varies a lot Wincot, Wincut, Wingate etc but generally, he latterly appeared as Winfield.

Born c1758 (92 at burial) almost certainly in Oxfordshire and very probably in Britwell Salome.

Parents almost definitely Thomas and Catherine Wingate. Not found a record of his baptism but it was probably at Britwell Prior RC, Oxfordshire- I can only get records from post 1765. In 1769, William appears as a member of the Britwell Prior RC congregation underneath the names of Thomas and Catherine with his likely siblings and is noted as not being able to take the sacrament yet. William has children named for his parents. William was confirmed with some of his siblings in 1781, when he was about 24.

Married to Elizabeth Morris. The Britwell Priors RC records list under "Conjugati" William Wingate and Elizabeth Morrice 1 Nov 1775. Given their ages and that I have no proof of children born before 1783, I wonder if this was some sort of promise to marry. They married at Swyncombe, Oxfordshire 4th March 1781, William Wincot of Brittwell (sic) and Elizabeth Morris of the parish. Both made their mark and the witnesses were William Appleby and William Wixen (both relations of mine on other branches). They had five sons and three daughters that I know of, all but one surviving into adulthood and there may have been older ones. The eldest two of these were baptised at Britwell Prior RC as probably were the next two (records finish at 1788) and the remaining children were baptised at Ewelme, Oxfordshire

William was a labourer and lived in Ewelme, Oxfordshire from at least 1793. By 1841, he was living in the Cloisters at Ewelme (almshouses) and was an Almsman

He died in 1850 and was buried 19th Oct 1850 aged 92