PDA

View Full Version : Are they still updating the British Newspaper Archive?

kiterunner
17-07-13, 18:39
Their front page says "New pages added every day. Thousands of new pages are scanned for you every day. The current total is:6,930,332"

But if I click to view a list of Recently Added Issues (titles that have been added to in the last 30 days), there are none.

Please don't say it's finished! I'm still hoping for some local papers for various parts of London from the later part of the 19th and early 20th centuries, and some Police Gazettes.

Anyone have any info?

kiterunner
18-07-13, 07:02
Well, the number of pages has gone up today so I guess they are still adding. But it is still not showing recently added issues.

bnarchive
18-07-13, 08:47
@kiterunner, Firstly, I promise we're not going anywhere! In fact, far from it - I'm delighted to announce that we are in the process of upgrading our newspaper ingest and post-processing system. Once we’re up and running with the new system, this will allow us to bring you more new content, more quickly! A small downside to this is that for the next few weeks while we upgrade, there will be few or on some days no new pages added to the site.

Please be assured that we continue to scan newspaper material at an ever increasing rate. The good news is that because of the continuous scanning, we have a rather large number of new titles and additional pages of existing titles waiting ‘in the wings’! We cannot wait to start processing the new scans through the improved system and make them available to you on The BNA.

So long and short is that we're not going anywhere!
* The new system will mean that we'll get new content available to you via The BNA much quicker than we can currently.
* We're making the switchover shortly : )

Hope this helps clear things up. I'm sorry for any confusion (or worry!)
Best wishes,

Team BNA

kiterunner
18-07-13, 08:48
Thanks for the info, Team BNA. Glad to hear there is lots more still to be added.

ElizabethHerts
18-07-13, 08:51
Do they give us any inkling of what is to be added? I would like many more local/regional newspapers.

ElizabethHerts
18-07-13, 08:55
[QUOTE= we are in the process of upgrading our newspaper ingest and post-processing system[/QUOTE]

What does that actually entail?

Kit
20-07-13, 13:26
Glad to hear more papers are being added and the system is being upgraded.

Please do some papers from Staffordshire, a significant portion of my family are from there.

JayG
27-09-13, 09:52
This annoucement has been on for a week or so, but not many new papers have been added yet!

Latest News:
New content now available!
We are extremely pleased to announce that the upgrade to our newspaper ingest and post-processing system is now live! This means that new content is now appearing on the site. We will gradually be increasing production to almost double the previous process limits of about 10,000 pages/day. In addition, the next few months will see inclusion of new titles from Yorkshire, Sunderland and Burnley.

ElizabethHerts
27-09-13, 10:14
I've just had a newsletter from them.

Mary from Italy
27-09-13, 10:40
Ooh, that sounds good.

ElizabethHerts
27-09-13, 10:46
Part of the newsletter:

BNA content update
The BNA Team has been busy working on upgrading our newspaper ingest and post-processing system, which is the pipeline for uploading new content to The Archive.

Many of you have been enquiring about when the new process will start. We are pleased to announce that the new pages are now beginning to appear on the site, and will gradually increase in number to almost double the previous process limit of about 10,000 pages/day.

In addition to this system upgrade, the next few months will also see the inclusion of new titles from Yorkshire, Sunderland and Burnley. We apologise for the temporary inconvenience caused to visitors to the BNA while we made this important change, and plan to post further details about the upgrade in the near future.