PDA

View Full Version : What is this batch number, please?

ElizabethHerts
17-07-13, 14:09
C02938-8

Name: Rebecca White
Christening Date: 05 Jun 1837
Christening Place: London, London, England
Birth Date: 02 Feb 1801
Birthplace: St Mary, Surrey, England
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: George White
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02938-8
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 596982

This is the last child of my 4x-great-grandparents George and Elizabeth White.
This is the only one who wasn't baptised as a child and is found under non-conformist births.

I'm trying to find out whether she was recorded as a Baptist or some other persuasion.

kiterunner
17-07-13, 14:20
It looks likely to be Dr Williams' Library.

kiterunner
17-07-13, 14:24
If you search for Births and Baptisms, all names, George White, on the BMD Registers website it comes up with Rebecca White birth London 1801, father George White, national archives reference RG4/4665, which it says is Dr Williams Library. Also listed as birth in Surrey under reference RG5/122, Protestant Dissenters' Registry.

Janet
17-07-13, 14:36
Not sure if this helps any, Liza. It says Batch C029388 covers a large number of parishes all over England.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SUSSEX-PLUS/2007-01/1168725230

It's what turned up when I Googled:

C02938-8 site:ancestry.com

EDIT: Ooops, as usual while I was dithering Kite has supplied a far better answer, but I'll let this one stand.

ElizabethHerts
17-07-13, 15:12
Thanks, Kate and Janet!

It's the christening that is perplexing me.
I haven't seen that before, and it doesn't say where!

kiterunner
17-07-13, 15:21
I don't think it is really a christening at all, Elizabeth, just misclassified as one by FamilySearch's index. I think it will just be the date that they registered the birth details with Dr Williams Library - there was a big rush to get people registered there just before the start of civil registration.

You can view the images for the two entries on the BMD Registers website if you buy some credits.

ElizabethHerts
17-07-13, 15:40
Thanks for the explanation, Kate.
It is rather misleading, in that case.

Olde Crone
17-07-13, 17:11
Elizabeth

there were (still are?) indeed some misleading batch numbers on the familysearch site. I remember finding a "C" batch, which usually means extracted christening records from an original parish register - it was nothing of the sort but had been mis-classified at some point.

I notice that under the new system on Family search, there are some batch numbers beginning with "I" which purport to be original extracted records. They may be - but they were never done under any supervision and were donated by nameless individuals to the LDS and sometimes contain only the names that person was researching.

OC

HarrysMum
18-07-13, 11:24
Rebecca's birth is the 2nd Feb 1801. Father George White and mother Elizabeth White, daughter of Thomas Miles

ElizabethHerts
18-07-13, 13:18
Rebecca's birth is the 2nd Feb 1801. Father George White and mother Elizabeth White, daughter of Thomas Miles

Where did you get Thomas Miles, from, Libby? I thoght he was Thomas Strudwick.

ElizabethHerts
18-07-13, 13:39
I'm very confused.

George White married Elizabeth Miles on 6 June 1791 at st Mary's Guilford.

I have him marrying Elizabeth Stradwick. Im on my tablet so will have to wait until I get home.

HarrysMum
18-07-13, 14:03
I am on mine as well and need to go to sleep. It has just gone midnight...lol. I will check first thing and let you know.

ElizabethHerts
18-07-13, 14:06
Thanks, Libby.

Merry
18-07-13, 14:25
I'm very confused.

George White married Elizabeth Miles on 6 June 1791 at st Mary's Guilford.

I have him marrying Elizabeth Stradwick. Im on my tablet so will have to wait until I get home.

Both those marriages are the same year. The Eliz Strudwick one is before the Elizabeth Miles marriage - 28th Feb 1791.

HarrysMum
18-07-13, 22:18
Elizabeth.... Do you have a marriage for Rebecca? I'm thinking she may have married a non-con and then had her birth recorded. Dr Williams has many births that were registered with him in 1837. they are for much earlier events, however I can't find any record of Rebecca's family there so wondering if the non-con started with her marriage.

Usually if one child was recorded with Dr Williams, they all were. It did cost money to register them.

kiterunner
18-07-13, 22:41
Usually if one child was recorded with Dr Williams, they all were. It did cost money to register them.

One family in my tree only has one registered with Dr Williams - the youngest - and the rest are baptised at C of E churches. I guess they switched to a non-con church between the births of the older children and the youngest one.

ElizabethHerts
19-07-13, 06:51
Libby, Rebecca didn't marry. She lived with her mother Elizabeth until Elizabeth died.

1841 Census
HO107, 1082, 3, Folio 34, page 9, line 1
High Street Guildford
Elizabeth White 71 Stay Maker Yes
Rebecca White 40 Stay Maker Yes
Ann Linard 20 Stay Maker Yes
Emma Graham 20 Stay Maker Non
Mary P?ts 16 F.S. Yes

1851 Census
HO107; 1594; 511; 11
Guildford Saint Mary
75 High Street
Rebecca White Head U 50 Stay Maker Employing 3 ? Surrey Guildford
Jane Burchatt Serv U 18 Stay maker Surrey Hassell
Maryann William Serv U 14 House servant Surrey Walton
Joseph White Nephew U 9 scholar Hants Headley

The Joseph White on the 1851 Census was a big shock to me when I saw it because it turned out to be a third son of my 3x-great-grandfather Edward White, Rebecca's brother. Joseph, like his brothers, wasn't baptised as I believe Edward brought them up as Baptists.

ElizabethHerts
19-07-13, 06:54
One family in my tree only has one registered with Dr Williams - the youngest - and the rest are baptised at C of E churches. I guess they switched to a non-con church between the births of the older children and the youngest one.

This appears to be the situation here too, Kiterunner.

Rebecca was the youngest, and her siblings were all baptised at St Mary's, Guildford.