PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone known multiple baptisms for poor relief help?

Glen TK
16-07-13, 19:35
Still hunting the elusive baptisms from the 1670's for my 6xgrt grandparents and I've just been made aware of two baptisms that may be for the same girl with a note that the family may have moved around in order to obtain poor relief, has anyone ever come across this at all before?

Name: Mary Page
Christening Date: 27 Jan 1675
Christening Place: IBSTOCK,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Fransis Page

Name: Mary Page
Christening Date: 03 Feb 1678
Christening Place: BANBURY,OXFORD,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Francis Page
Mother's Name: Mary

Glen TK
16-07-13, 19:38
The only details I can work from are a marriage in 1703, Broughton Sulney, Notts. Mary Page to Benjamin Gulson and 1704-1718 baptisms of children to a Benjamin Goulson and Mary Page at Ropsley, Lincs. The forenames of Frances, Francis and Page appear in subsequent generations along with dozens of Benjamins but I really don't know if I'm reading too much into the later names or not.

Glen TK
16-07-13, 20:05
plonking these up as the laptop seems to be having a fit with saving stuff right now;

Mary Gulson
christening: 23 September 1683 ALL SAINTS,LOUGHBOROUGH,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
parents: Joseph Gulson, Margaret

William Gulson
christening: 1681 ALL SAINTS,LOUGHBOROUGH,LEICESTER,ENGLAND

Joseph Gulson
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening: 10 October 1675 ALL SAINTS,LOUGHBOROUGH,LEICESTER,ENGLAND

Anthony Gulson
christening: 29 June 1674 ALL SAINTS,LOUGHBOROUGH,LEICESTER,ENGLAND

Benjamin Gulson
christening: November 1680 ALL SAINTS,LOUGHBOROUGH,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
parents: Joseph Gulson, Margar

Mary Gulson
christening: 23 September 1683 ALL SAINTS,LEICESTER,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
death: 23 July 1685
parents: Joseph Gulson, Margret

Will. Gulson
christening: 29 January 1681 ALL SAINTS,LEICESTER,LEICESTER,ENGLAND

William Gulson
christening: 16 February 1685 ALL SAINTS,LEICESTER,LEICESTER,ENGLAND

Tho. Gulson
christening: 23 December 1677 ALL SAINTS,LEICESTER,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
parents: Joseph Gulson, Margarit

Benjamin Gulson
christening: 22 November 1680 ALL SAINTS,LEICESTER,LEICESTER,ENGLAND

Joseph Gulson
christening: 10 October 1675 ALL SAINTS,LEICESTER,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
death: 31 August 1679

Anthonie Gulson
christening: 29 June 1674 ALL SAINTS,LEICESTER,LEICESTER,ENGLAND

kiterunner
16-07-13, 21:48
I should think it is more likely that the first Mary died and they gave a subsequent child the same name - if it is the same family, of course. Are there other baptisms for children of those couples (I mean Francis and Mary, not Joseph and Margaret) at either or both places?

kiterunner
16-07-13, 22:12
Oh, the Banbury one is on BMD Registers (non-conformists records website):

TNA Ref 1332 Register of Births belonging to the Monthly Meeting of Banbury, Oxfordshire from 1632 to 1756.

They also have a marriage for a Francis Page at Banbury Monthly Meeting in 1675, and another one in 1677, plus a Judith Page, daughter of Francis, born 1676. And burials for Mary Page, wife of Francis, in 1678 and Francis Page in 1724.

So I don't think they are likely to be the same family as the Ibstock ones.

Olde Crone
16-07-13, 22:16
I do have one family who baptised every child in every parish they ever went to and that was quite a few! But in the late 1700s/early 1800s, though. It wasn't for poor relief, it was for settlement rights (but it backfired, they were all removed to their original parishes and the family was split up).

OC

Glen TK
16-07-13, 22:17
Mmm

Nothing for the name at Ibstock except for the one posted

Oxfordshire, but a different mother noted

Name: Judith Page
Birth Date: 07 Sep 1676
To Francis and Elizabeth

kiterunner
16-07-13, 22:20
Yes, there are those two marriages for Francis Page - one in 1675 and one in 1677, so either there were two Francises in Banbury or Elizabeth died and he then married Mary.

Glen TK
16-07-13, 22:31
Ibstock seems way more believable, while it's not unknown for families to travel around back then Ibstock and Broughton Sulney are only 25 miles apart and a lot closer to where the family finished up, Oxfordshire is close to 100 miles away.

kiterunner
16-07-13, 22:42
Were your Pages Quakers, Glen?

Glen TK
16-07-13, 23:17
Not that I know of but Mary is the only one Page surname my tree, not sure where she was born or her parents, just her DoD and age from her headstone, Jan 21st 1729, aged 54.

Same problem with her hubby too, 1731, aged 54 but again no idea where or parents, nothing is documented prior to the 1703 marriage that I can use to narrow things down.

Asa
17-07-13, 06:49
I have an ancestor's daughter born 1835 who was baptised twice, in 1835 and in 1842. Her siblings were baptised at various ages, not always in the order of their birth and I haven't found baptisms for all of them. This daughter was re-baptised in 1842 with three siblings at a different East London church to her original one. Her father is recorded as 'poor' for an 1849 baptism, so I assume it was to do with Parish Relief but I haven't come across anything in the Poor Law Records yet. Of course, it may have been that they forgot which of their first 7 children had been baptised.

Glen TK
17-07-13, 09:01
Oh, the Banbury one is on BMD Registers (non-conformists records website):

TNA Ref 1332 Register of Births belonging to the Monthly Meeting of Banbury, Oxfordshire from 1632 to 1756.

They also have a marriage for a Francis Page at Banbury Monthly Meeting in 1675, and another one in 1677, plus a Judith Page, daughter of Francis, born 1676. And burials for Mary Page, wife of Francis, in 1678 and Francis Page in 1724.

So I don't think they are likely to be the same family as the Ibstock ones.

I missed this post altogether, I tend to agree in that it's a different family altogether. My hunch is that the Page and Goulson families lived much closer together, possibly Leicestershire and Notts or both Leicestershire,

I keep going back to the Leicester baptisms in the Gulson name as subsequent generations used the same names. One glaring omission is Margaret but there are children named Page, Francis, Frances and also Francis Page. Benjamin and Joseph run through to the present day but again am I reading too much into possible naming conventions?