PDA

View Full Version : 11th great grandparents!

Phoenix
09-07-13, 22:04
I have three or more Dennis branches in my family. So I felt inspired to investigate a little further, using the Norfolk registers. In one evening I'm back further than I've ever got unaided.

And if I ever get to Norwich, there are wills to back up the theory. Baptism in 1580 and still going strong.

Olde Crone
09-07-13, 22:09
Phoenix

I have one branch like that as well - never moved out of the parish, in fact never moved out of the farm.

Awkward creature that I am, never satisfied, I felt almost as if I'd cheated, it was so easy.....

OC

Phoenix
09-07-13, 22:23
*chokes on a cherry jaffa cake* first entry in the marriage register 1539 is a rellie.

Olde Crone
09-07-13, 22:30
Phoenix

Take it from me, it won't be long before you're sulking because there's no register before 1539!

OC

Phoenix
09-07-13, 22:32
OC, I do like having to earn an ancestor. There is always the sneaking feeling that in the next village (records not surviving) a parallel family existed.

What really gets me is that I subsidised the purchase of the microfiche for SoG so I could get my hands on the material and never noticed this branch. Though I have to say that the microfiche was pretty hard to read.

Phoenix
09-07-13, 22:35
Phoenix

Take it from me, it won't be long before you're sulking because there's no register before 1539!

OC

I've already checked to see how far back the wills go. Not sure whether I have the stamina for the manorial records, though at least these days we can take photos.

ElizabethHerts
10-07-13, 08:02
How wonderful, Phoenix. OC is right, you will wish that the registers started earlier.

I also found a register where the first entry was an ancestor. It was an eureka moment.

Olde Crone
10-07-13, 10:20
Manorial records are worth the sweat and tears too. I have one such record, I think from the 1200s (from memory"

"Deo gratias, this day my sonne is borne of my wyffe". A slight shame he didn't put his wife's name, but never mind....

OC

Lindsay
10-07-13, 12:01
That's great, Phoenix. I love that 'breakthrough' moment!

Phoenix
10-07-13, 21:10
Manorial records are worth the sweat and tears too. I have one such record, I think from the 1200s (from memory"

"Deo gratias, this day my sonne is borne of my wyffe". A slight shame he didn't put his wife's name, but never mind....

OC

And such snippets are worth a dozen William son of William son of Williams.

Glen TK
13-07-13, 23:06
I've got that annoying marriage record from 1700 in one spelling and everything later in another. To add to the problem the 1700 marriage and baptism of first child within the year are different counties.

There isn't anything likely for a baptism for either parent, well maybe one for the father but it's a leap of faith, he would have been a youngster and in yet another county if it is him. I'd love to crack this one, it's been eluding another researcher for over 4 decades.