PDA

View Full Version : Where there's a Will...

Lindsay
08-07-13, 20:08
..there's a happy family history researcher :)

I recently downloaded the Will of John Stace who died in Buckinghamshire in 1661. He named his father-in-law, his wife and their children, including my hitherto anonymous 9xg-grandfather, Christopher, who was helpfully described as 'recently deceased'. Armed with that info, I found Christopher's burial in London, together with his children's baptisms.

It also allowed me to take John's wife's family back another couple of generations. Her grandfather's Will named his 5 children and 14 grandchildren, and her grandmother's Will (made 5 days after her husband was buried and only two days before she was buried herself) distributed the contents of their house, including 'the bed in which I lye'. Each granddaughter was bequeathed a sheet. :)

I love it when it all comes together!

Phoenix
08-07-13, 20:57
That is amazing, Lindsay, especially for a period where most of us think we are unlikely to find anything more.

Olde Crone
08-07-13, 22:51
I do love wills, they are such good value for money.

My great great aunt died unmarried. She came from a huge family and left everyone a few bob. 35 names in that will, an absolute godsend to me because with very common surnames in the family, my research had ground to a halt.

That will cost me £3.50 - that's 10p a name, lol!

OC

Merry
09-07-13, 06:12
Thought I do have one will listing over 30 relatives and how they are connected, I have found that the majority of wills I have say "I leave everything to my wife" without even naming the wife! However, obviously it's men who say that, but the wills of widows and spinsters are often much more helpful, not having a spouse to bequeath to they often include far more information for the family history researcher. (love the bed and individual sheets in your ancestor's will, Lindsay!). I also enjoy reading bequests given without any grace - who was it who gave their "worst cow" to a relative?

Lindsay
09-07-13, 07:55
I have found that the majority of wills I have say "I leave everything to my wife" without even naming the wife!

Until recently that was my experience too. The Staces have been pure gold - they all left Wills, and each generation seemed to have a couple of spinster aunts or childless uncles who named all their nephews and nieces.

SUCH good value for money!

ElizabethHerts
09-07-13, 08:27
Lindsay, I'm very chuffed for you. I have had quite a few really useful wills, but also the bog standard ones mentioned, which make the gems even more memorable. It's also lovely to get that far back.

Phoenix
09-07-13, 21:43
The saddest one was the tudor man who left his estate to his six daughters. These six daughters were mentioned bitterly, several times, but none were dignified with a name.

Kit
14-07-13, 05:54
I'm very happy for you Lindsay and laughing at Phoenix.

I haven't found wills to be much use except to show what the person had to leave, which is interesting. I have 1 particularly annoying will that was written just before OH's 4g grandfather was born, names all born children and includes any yet to be born ie the 4g grandfather. So I can't confirm I have the will belongs to OH.

My sad will is for my 2g grandmother. I believe she was born "of a heathen woman" in India but haven't yet confirmed maternity. Her father did marry/remarry after her birth and only the children born of that marriage are mentioned in his will. It appears that when he returned to England he cut all ties and she was very young and unmarried then.