PDA

View Full Version : 1861 census lookup, Paisley, Renf.

geniebug
23-06-13, 22:22
1861 census lookup, Paisley, Renf.
I actually have a copy of Census 1861 page 6 of the Parish of Middle Church, Parliamentary Burgh of Paisley Town of Paisley. There are several people living in 8 Moncreiff Street, - I wonder if someone could look up page 5 and page 7 (before and after).

I am looking for a John McLaren who resided there in 1864 - if he is not residing in 8 Moncreiff Street at that time, then he would be in the same area. I am guessing his age would be in his 30s.

Shona
25-06-13, 15:45
There are five families living at 8 Moncrieff. Looking at one old pic, 8 Moncrieff Street is a four-storey tenement building.

For reference, these are the people at No 8 in 1861.

Bede Devine, head, 54, housekeeper, born Ireland
Peter Devine, son, dyer, born Paisley
Mary Ann Donley, boarder, 21, weaver, born Ireland
-------------------------------------------------------
John Fitch, head, 50, boiler labourer, born Ireland
Catherine Fitch, wife, 30, born Ireland
Mary Jean Firch, dau, 2, born Ireland
James Irvine, lodger, 19, moulder, born Ireland
Henry Irvine, lodger, 17, moulder's labourer, born Ireland
-------------------------------------------------------
Thomas McKensey, head, 32, boatman, born Ireland
Mary McKensey, wife, 34, born Paisley
Hellen McKensey, dau, 9, scholar, born Paisley
Thomas McKensey, son, 7, scholar, born Paisley
Mary McKensey, dau, 5, born Paisley
James McKensey, son, 7 mo, born Paisley
Mary Reid, lodger, 30, ag lab, born Ireland
Andrew Reid, lodger, 8, scholar, born Paisley
------------------------------------------------------
George McLerie, head, 48, boat worker, born Ireland
Cathran McLerie, wife, 46, born Paisley
Sarah McLerie, dau, 24, mill worker, born Paisley
George McLerie, son, 17, boat worker, born Paisley
Samuel McLerie, son, 15, turner, born Paisley
Peter McLerie, son, 13, scholar, born Paisley
Charles McLerie, son, scholar, born Paisley
Thomas McLerie, son, scholar, born Paisley
-----------------------------------------------------
Malcom Robertson, head, 26, brass moulder, born Paisley
Catherine Robertson, wife, 24, born Greenock
Flora Robertson, dau, 4, born Paisley
Neil Robertson, son, 2, born Paisley
-----------------------------------------------------

These are all the residents that I could find living at 8 Moncrieff Street. In fact, they were the only people I could find living in Moncrieff Street.

I wonder if the families lived there for long - my lot would 'flit' regularly.

JBee
25-06-13, 22:36
Can only see 2 John McLaren's in Paisley in 1861 but both youngsters born c1856 and c1858

geniebug
25-06-13, 23:18
No, Julie - this John McLaren would have had to be old enough to be an informant in 1864 - all I know is he was living at 8 Moncrieff St in 1864 according to the Death Certificate :(

geniebug
25-06-13, 23:21
I'll have to get back to you later. I posted before with a copy of the census I had, but it never got on to the message :(

JBee
25-06-13, 23:22
Those were the only 2 that came up as in Paisley in 1861 after that it went to the england census

geniebug
26-06-13, 12:28
Just lost a 2nd long message - too tired I think - will have another go tomorrow.

geniebug
26-06-13, 21:22
For the third and last time I hope, this message will be posted!

My reason for wanting to see if John McLaren lived in 8 Moncrieff Street iin the 1861 Census is that he was the informant at the death of George Laughland on 15th October 1861 as a cousin.

On my copy of the 1861 census there were 5 residents at the same address (a tenement I believe).

Details are as follows
Census of Scotland 1861 shows that
William Laughland lived at 8 Moncrieff St, Paisley aged 33 (Miners Labourer), born in Ireland,
Jane, aged 26 born Renfrewshire, Paisley,
Samuel, Son aged 10, (Scholar), born Lanarkshire, Glasgow,
William John, Son aged 2, born Auchinleck, Ayrshire and
George Laughland, Son aged 6 months) born Paisley, Renfrewshire,

I asked if the pages before and after the attachment could show that John McLaren resided there.

The list of names provided by you Julie, I am not sure if they are the page before or after. I’m beginning to think John McLaren was not living there in 1861, and JBee says he was not living in Paisley either. Could he have been in Glasgow perhaps I really would like to track him down to see how he is related to my family.

I'm attaching the census I have plus the death certificate.

Merry
27-06-13, 06:46
There's two John McLarens living at 34 Thread St in Abbey Burgh, which is in Paisley, in 1861 - father and son aged 73 and 51, but the son and his widowed step-mother are still at the same address in 1871, so I don't know that these are the right people.

Could he have been in Glasgow perhaps I really would like to track him down to see how he is related to my family.

There are over 60 John McLarens living in Glasgow and 19 living in Renfrewshire. Some are too young of course, but still a lot to choose from!

Shona
27-06-13, 07:07
There's two John McLarens living at 34 Thread St in Abbey Burgh, which is in Paisley, in 1861 - father and son aged 73 and 51, but the son and his widowed step-mother are still at the same address in 1871, so I don't know that these are the right people.

There are over 60 John McLarens living in Glasgow and 19 living in Renfrewshire. Some are too young of course, but still a lot to choose from!

If John was in Scotland at the time. William was Irish, so there is a possibility that 'cousin' John was as well and, at that point, hadn't left Ireland.

Shona
27-06-13, 07:09
How do we know John is in his 30s in 1861?

geniebug
27-06-13, 09:38
Well all I know really is he was old enough to be an informant at his (I presume) nephews death (George Laughlan's in 1864. One of the children, George in fact, was George Hepburn Laughlan - I wondered if that was a clue. I've no idea why his parents were not the informants. William & Jane Laughlan, I mean.

Merry
27-06-13, 10:37
My reason for wanting to see if John McLaren lived in 8 Moncrieff Street iin the 1861 Census is that he was the informant at the death of George Laughland on 15th October 1861 as a cousin.

On my copy of the 1861 census there were 5 residents at the same address (a tenement I believe).

Details are as follows
Census of Scotland 1861 shows that
William Laughland lived at 8 Moncrieff St, Paisley aged 33 (Miners Labourer), born in Ireland,
Jane, aged 26 born Renfrewshire, Paisley,
Samuel, Son aged 10, (Scholar), born Lanarkshire, Glasgow,
William John, Son aged 2, born Auchinleck, Ayrshire and
George Laughland, Son aged 6 months) born Paisley, Renfrewshire,

Well all I know really is he was old enough to be an informant at his (I presume) nephews death (George Laughlan's in 1864. One of the children, George in fact, was George Hepburn Laughlan - I wondered if that was a clue. I've no idea why his parents were not the informants. William & Jane Laughlan, I mean.

Now I'm confused! Was it George who was aged 6 months on the census who died in Oct 1861 or another George? Or was it this George who died in 1864? Which cert said cousin for John McLaren?

geniebug
27-06-13, 10:48
Merry I posted the death certificate for George Hepburn Laughlin aged 3 and some months (unreadable) who died on 28th January 1864, son of William Laughlin, (fireman in a steamer) & Jane Laughlin (m n Grieve), with the informant named John McLaren (his mark) of 8 Moncrieff Street. It says George on the death certificate, but his real name was George Hepburn Laughlin.

I am just wondering if the above John McLaren was on the 1861 Census on the page before and after the page I posted, or was he somewhere else in 1861 I am trying to find out how John was a cousin (obviously of William or Jane Laughlin). I am guessing his age.

Merry
27-06-13, 11:05
Sorry, the death cert is too small for me to be able to read it!

So who is George who died 15th October 1861?

I am trying to find out how John was a cousin (obviously of William or Jane Laughlin).

I thought John was a cousin of George who died in 1861? Ah, is this George a brother of William? That would make sense.

But if John is a (first) cousin of William or Jane Laughlin then their son George who died in 1864 would be John's first cousin once removed, not his nephew. (wouldn't he??)

geniebug
27-06-13, 11:36
sorry about that death cert being so small.

It says George Laughlin (single) 1864 Jan 28th 4 Moncrieff St Paisley - Male - 3 and a bit years, Parents William Loughlin - Fireman in a steamer, Jane Laughlin, M.S Grieve. Consumption of the bowels 2 years. No regular Medical attendants. Informant John McLaren his x mark, cousin, 8 Moncrieff Street Registered Jan 28th 1864

So George is a son of William Loughlin. George is 3 and a bit years, and William is about 37 years old. Cousin John is hardly likely to be a cousin to George, more likely to William. As I said, I don't know why the parents did not inform of the death.

I was not sure that George was a nephew of John McLaren. As I mentioned earlier, the George who died was actually George Hepburn Loughlin and I wondered if that was a clue to another surname we didn't know about.

Merry
27-06-13, 11:51
So it's the little boy's cert in 1864 that says the informant is a cousin and not the Oct 1861 cert you mentioned here:

he was the informant at the death of George Laughland on 15th October 1861 as a cousin.

Can I forget the 1861 death?

I think it's equally possible John was a cousin to the child as to one of the parents. The majority of my first cousins are 30 years older than me or more.

If it is one of the parents who is the (first) cousin though, then George (d 1864) would still be John's cousin, just that he would be once removed. Obviously the relationship might be second (or more!) cousin or a number of removes from either the parents or George - we just don't know!

I expect John was the informant because he was present at the death and him going to register the death saved one of the parents from having to do so.

I agree it's really irritating not to be able to identify who John is, but perhaps you just need to put his surname on the back burner - the knowledge of his existence may come in useful later!

geniebug
27-06-13, 11:59
Merry, my original question was to look at the page before and after the page I sent of the 1861 census to see if John McLaren lived at 8 Moncrieff Street, (remembering he lived in 4 Moncrieff St at the time of George's death, then I asked if he could be found anywhere in that area.

Merry
27-06-13, 12:06
Yes, but I don't have a Scotland's people sub so I can't do that for you.

I was just trying to work out how they were related, to see if I could find anything on Family Search for you. Whilst I thought there were two deaths and two relationships, I thought I might be able to help. Sorry.

geniebug
27-06-13, 12:15
It's ok Merry and thanks. If I could find something I would send away for a certificate, but I don't have enough information.

kiterunner
27-06-13, 12:28
"Cousin" could be used to mean anything in those days, they would be unlikely to put "first cousin once removed" or something like that on a certificate. But he could just as easily be George's cousin as William's or Jane's. Also it is very likely that he was living somewhere else altogether in 1861.

I'm not sure whether you realise this, but the images of the Scottish censuses are only available on Scotland's People, and if someone looked at them for you they would have to use up credits to view them. So assuming that we are unlikely to do that, we can only go by the transcriptions on other sites. Unfortunately FreeCEN is showing 0% coverage for Renfrewshire for 1861 so we would probably have to look at ancestry or F M P. Ancestry doesn't seem to have an option to search on Enumeration District for this census, so it would be a case of putting in the page number (i.e 5 or 7), town Paisley and civil parish Middle Church, then looking through all the results to see which ones are in ED 12. Unless there is an easier way of doing it that I haven't spotted! But luckily it looks as though the address will be Moncrieff St, or at least for page 5 it is, so we have:

Page 5
Margaret Brook and Mary Brook at 4 Moncrieff St
Hugh Gibson at 6 Moncrieff St
Isabella Wylie at 6 Moncrieff St
John Paton, Flora Paton, Margaret Paton, John Paton, James Paton at 8 Moncrieff St
Peter McClusky, Catherine McClusky, John McClusky, Anne McClusky at 8 Moncrieff St
Henry McGhee, Hugh McGhee, Barnard McGhee, Bidy McGhee at 8 Moncrieff St
James ONeil, Eliza Leon ONeil, John ONeil, Jane ONeil, Catharine ONeil at 8 Moncrieff St
James Rae, Catherine Rae, Henry Rae at 8 Moncrieff St.

I will do page 7 in a while. These names and addresses are just from ancestry's transcription so may be incorrect but you would have to check against another site or against the image on Scotland's People.

kiterunner
27-06-13, 12:29
Yes, but I don't have a Scotland's people sub so I can't do that for you.

Scotland's People subs don't exist!

Merry
27-06-13, 12:35
Scotland's People subs don't exist!

OK, credits or whatever! I do have expired credits, but don't see why they should have more of my money in order for me to use them!

kiterunner
27-06-13, 12:39
Page 7 is all at 8 Moncrieff Street and are the people who Shona posted in post #2.

kiterunner
27-06-13, 12:46
Then page 8 starts with some more of 8 Moncrieff St:
James McKensey, Mary Reid and Andrew Reid (from Shona's post #2)
Cathren Deans
Grace Greenfield
Patrick Baret, Susan Baret, Patrick Baret, James Baret

Then it goes on to 9 Moncrieff St:
John Marschall, Isabella Marschall, John Marschall, Jessie Marschall, Isabella Marschall
Alexander Robertson, Jennet Robertson, Jennet Robertson
Eles Begley, Mary Begley, Elen Begley
James Molseed, Agnes Molseed, Sarah Molseed, Elizabeth Molseed, James Molseed.

geniebug
27-06-13, 23:23
Thanks for all the lookups Kate. It was never my intention to expect people to use their own credits. I am not as familiar with UK sites as the UK residents.

John was living in No. 8 Moncrieff Street in 1864, but young George died in No. 4. I thought I'd find John McLaren easily, but not so. I wondered where he fitted into the family that's all.

Thanks for your help Kate, Merry, Shona and JBee

Shona
28-06-13, 14:37
I've put together a time line based on the info in this thread and others:

William was born in Drumaclose parish in Co Londonderry. Father, William, gardener, mother, Jane Stuart (from death cert in 1868). Mother recorded as dec.

Tithe Applotment records for Drumachose parish:

Samuel Allen, Ballyrisk More
Mark Hopkins, Bolea
Robert Kennedy, Ardgarvin
James McClelland, Ballynabery
William Nodwell, Glenkeen
Alexander Young, Largyreagh

c1847-c1849
Marriage to first wife, Elizabeth (if married at 21).
Emigration to Scotland.

William and Elizabeth may have married in Ireland. Protestant marriages were recorded from 1845.

524 Duke Street, Barony, Lanarkshire
William Laughline, 24, lodger, labourer - brickfield, born Ireland
Elisabeth Laughline, 24, lodger, born Ireland
Samuel Laughline, 2, born Barony, Lanarkshire

The Laughlines were lodging with the Bell family.

John Bell, head, 34, brick maker, born Ireland
Margaret Bell, wife, 24, born Ireland
Margaret Bell, dau, 15, at home, born Paisley
John Bell, son, 12, at home, born Paisley
Elizabeth Bell, dau, 10, at home, born Paisley
Jane Bell, dau, 7, at home, born Paisley
Mary Bell, dau, born Paisley
William Bell, son, 11 mo, born Paisley

1851-1855
Poss death of Elizabeth. Has her death been found?

William married Jane Grieve in Partick.

William John Laughlan born 2 Aug 1858, Cronberry, Auchinleck, Ayrshire.

Griffiths Valuation for Drumachose parish - no Lauchlan (and variants). However, there are a number with the Mc prefix.

Mc Loughlan, Charles, Ballyclose, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Anne, Ballyclose, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Bryan, Ardgarvan
Mc Loughlin, Daniel, Carran
Mc Loughlin, Daniel, Drummond
Mc Loughlin, Daniel, Keady
Mc Loughlin, Daniel, The New Row, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Edward, Coach Road, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, George, Catherine St, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Hugh, The Isle of Man, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Jackson, Carran
Mc Loughlin, Jackson, Main St, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, James, Drummond
Mc Loughlin, James, Pound Lane, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, James, Rathbrady Beg, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Jane, Main St, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, John, Dunmore
Mc Loughlin, John, Irish Green, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, John, Largyreagh
Mc Loughlin, John, Pound Lane, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Letitia, Irish Green, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Mark, Dunmore
Mc Loughlin, Martha, Pound Lane, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Patrick, Carran
Mc Loughlin, Philip, Drummond
Mc Loughlin, Philip, Dunmore
Mc Loughlin, Robert, Irish Green, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Rose, The Isle of Man, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, William, Irish Green, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, William, The New Row, Newtownlimavady

George Hepburn Laughlan born 5 Oct, Paisley (mother's name recorded as Jeanie)

8 Moncrieff Street, Paisley
William Laughland, head, 33, miner's labourer, born Ireland
Jane Laughland, wife, 26, born Paisley
Samuel Laughland, son, 10, scholar, born Glasgow
William John Laughland, 2, born Auchinleck, Ayrshire
George Laughland, 6 mo, born Paisley

As yet, John McLaren has not been identified in the 1861 census. However, he may not have been in Scotland at this point.

28 January 1864
John McLaren witness to the death of a 'cousin' George Loughlin. John's address - 8 Moncrieff Street. George's address - 4 Moncrieff Street. Father's occupation - fireman in a steamer.

29 January 1864
Jane Galloway Laughlan born at 4 Moncrieff Street

So we have one child, George, who died on 28 January 1864 and another child, Jane, who was born the next day. This may explain why George's death was registered by 'cousin', John McLaren. George's mum was in labour or about to go into labour at the time her son died. Relatives may have been caring for George - mum certainly wouldn't be able to chase around after a toddler! Also, George's father, William, had changed jobs and was working on the steamers, so could easily have been away from home when George died.

30 July 1866
Catherine Laughlan born at 12 Moss Street, Paisley (mother's name recorded as Jeanie).

William died in the Abbey Poorhouse in Paisley, age 41. Pauper, formerly labourer, married to Jane Grieve.

Old Sneddon Road
Jane Lauchlan, head, 39, widow, cotton thread mill worker, born Renfrewshire
William Lauchland, son, 12, scholar, born Ayrshire
Jane Lauchland, dau, 7, born Renfrewshire
Catherine Wiley, lodger, 50, farm worker, born Ireland

Jane married William Baird.

geniebug
29-06-13, 07:25
1827 15th April
William was born in Drumachose parish in Co Londonderry. Father, William, gardener, mother, Jane Stuart (from death cert in 1868). Mother recorded as dec.

Tithe Applotment records for Drumachose parish:

Samuel Allen, Ballyrisk More
Mark Hopkins, Bolea
Robert Kennedy, Ardgarvin
James McClelland, Ballynabery
William Nodwell, Glenkeen
Alexander Young, Largyreagh Not sure why you are telling me this, I don't understand Tithe Applotment records

c1847-c1849
Marriage to first wife, Elizabeth (if married at 21).
Emigration to Scotland.

William and Elizabeth may have married in Ireland. Protestant marriages were recorded from 1845.

524 Duke Street, Barony, Lanarkshire
William Laughline, 24, lodger, labourer - brickfield, born Ireland
Elisabeth Laughline, 24, lodger, born Ireland
Samuel Laughline, 2, born Barony, Lanarkshire

The Laughlines were lodging with the Bell family.

John Bell, head, 34, brick maker, born Ireland
Margaret Bell, wife, 24, born Ireland
Margaret Bell, dau, 15, at home, born Paisley
John Bell, son, 12, at home, born Paisley
Elizabeth Bell, dau, 10, at home, born Paisley
Jane Bell, dau, 7, at home, born Paisley
Mary Bell, dau, born Paisley
William Bell, son, 11 mo, born Paisley

1851-1855
Poss death of Elizabeth. Has her death been found? (No, nor birth or marriage) - since typing this I have found Elizabeth Lauchlan, 18/3/1844 Parish of Gorbals, Glasgow City, Lanark - how do you think that sounds?

William married Jane Grieve in Partick.

John Laughlan b 22 Nov 1856 in 40 Anderson Street (died 14 Oct 1857 Paisley

William John Laughlan born 2 Aug 1858, Cronberry, Auchinleck, Ayrshire.

Griffiths Valuation for Drumachose parish - no Lauchlan (and variants). However, there are a number with the Mc prefix.

Mc Loughlan, Charles, Ballyclose, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Anne, Ballyclose, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Bryan, Ardgarvan
Mc Loughlin, Daniel, Carran
Mc Loughlin, Daniel, Drummond
Mc Loughlin, Daniel, Keady
Mc Loughlin, Daniel, The New Row, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Edward, Coach Road, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, George, Catherine St, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Hugh, The Isle of Man, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Jackson, Carran
Mc Loughlin, Jackson, Main St, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, James, Drummond
Mc Loughlin, James, Pound Lane, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, James, Rathbrady Beg, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Jane, Main St, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, John, Dunmore
Mc Loughlin, John, Irish Green, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, John, Largyreagh
Mc Loughlin, John, Pound Lane, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Letitia, Irish Green, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Mark, Dunmore
Mc Loughlin, Martha, Pound Lane, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Patrick, Carran
Mc Loughlin, Philip, Drummond
Mc Loughlin, Philip, Dunmore
Mc Loughlin, Robert, Irish Green, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, Rose, The Isle of Man, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, William, Irish Green, Newtownlimavady
Mc Loughlin, William, The New Row, Newtownlimavady

George Hepburn Laughlan born 5 Oct, Paisley (mother's name recorded as Jeanie)

8 Moncrieff Street, Paisley
William Laughland, head, 33, miner's labourer, born Ireland
Jane Laughland, wife, 26, born Paisley
Samuel Laughland, son, 10, scholar, born Glasgow
William John Laughland, 2, born Auchinleck, Ayrshire
George Laughland, 6 mo, born Paisley

As yet, John McLaren has not been identified in the 1861 census. However, he may not have been in Scotland at this point.

28 January 1864
John McLaren witness to the death of a 'cousin' George Loughlin. John's address - 8 Moncrieff Street. George's address - 4 Moncrieff Street. Father's occupation - fireman in a steamer.

29 January 1864
Jane Galloway Laughlan born at 4 Moncrieff Street

So we have one child, George, who died on 28 January 1864 and another child, Jane, who was born the next day. This may explain why George's death was registered by 'cousin', John McLaren. George's mum was in labour or about to go into labour at the time her son died. Relatives may have been caring for George - mum certainly wouldn't be able to chase around after a toddler! Also, George's father, William, had changed jobs and was working on the steamers, so could easily have been away from home when George died.

30 July 1866
Catherine Laughlan born at 12 Moss Street, Paisley (mother's name recorded as Jeanie).

William died in the Abbey Poorhouse in Paisley, age 41. Pauper, formerly labourer, married to Jane Grieve.

Old Sneddon Road
Jane Lauchlan, head, 39, widow, cotton thread mill worker, born Renfrewshire
William Lauchland, son, 12, scholar, born Ayrshire
Jane Lauchland, dau, 7, born Renfrewshire
Catherine Wiley, lodger, 50, farm worker, born Ireland

Jane married William Baird.

I am thrilled with this Shona, it sets it out much easier. - you sure were clever to work out that when George died, Jane was born, never noticed that before, Also it never occurred to me to look up Jane Stuart, as I naturally thought it was Jane Stewart.

I now have some credits with Scotlands people - what do you suggest I look for first?

Shona
29-06-13, 08:29
Glad you like the time line. In trying to answer your Qs, I had written down the info in chronological order. I thought it would help if I posted it as a reply.

You asked about the Irish Tithe records. These are a useful census substitute for pre-famine times. Households with more than 1 acre of land had to pay a tithe (a tax) to the Church of Ireland. The name of the head of household only is listed. I was curious to see if either William's family name or that of McLaren appeared in the parish.

Stuart/Stewart are interchangeable, so I search both spellings of the name.

Is that a death record for Elizabeth in 1844?

Be careful with your SP credits - they vanish faster than snow in a heat wave! I do a great deal of preparatory work using Family Search, etc, before viewing images on SP.

OPR records can be v basic - it depends on parish. There are v few burial/death records pre official registration.

What to look for next depends on what you already have. Might help if you list which records you have.

Just a final word about 'cousin'. The term is loosely used at this time. John McLaren may be a cousin or, just as likely, someone related in another way. He may not be related at all - he could have simply said cousin when asked what his relationship to the deceased was. He may not have spoken good English if he was Irish.

The Irish (and Scottish highlanders and islanders) who flocked to the area around Glasgow after what the Scots called 'the six wet years' (the blight hit Scotland, as well as many other countries) tended to stick together in kinship groups - people who came from the same area. Terms such as 'my family', 'my people', 'my folk', etc, were used to describe others in the group. 'Cousin' could, therefore, refer to someone who was born in the same parish or a neighbouring parish.

geniebug
29-06-13, 22:35
Is that a death record for Elizabeth in 1844?
No, I was on the brink of ordering it. (the first one)

1 18/03/1844 LAUCHLAN ELIZABETH ----- F GORBALS GLASGOW CITY CITY/LANARK 644/02 0110 0125
2 23/09/1854 LAUCHLEN ELIZABETH ----- F AYR/AYR 578/00 0130 0173
3 24/11/1859 LOUGHLIN ELIZABETH JOHN F EDINBURGH EDINBURGH CITY CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/01 1010 0361

I have birth certs for John Laughlan (IGI) 1867
William John 1858
death certs for
John Lachlan 1857, Catherine Laughlan 1867, George Laughlan 1864, Jane Laughlan 1881, William Laughlan 1868
marriage certs for William Laughland & Jane Grieve 1855 - then Jane Grieve & William Baird 1876

I do have my fathers - but that is irrelevant at the moment.

I also have this from Scotlands People, but never ordered the cert.
29/11/129 Stewart Janet William MacLagan/Fr2023 2151 F of Dull/Perth - no idea if they are mine though.

Shona
01-07-13, 10:45
No, I was on the brink of ordering it. (the first one)

1 18/03/1844 LAUCHLAN ELIZABETH ----- F GORBALS GLASGOW CITY CITY/LANARK 644/02 0110 0125
2 23/09/1854 LAUCHLEN ELIZABETH ----- F AYR/AYR 578/00 0130 0173
3 24/11/1859 LOUGHLIN ELIZABETH JOHN F EDINBURGH EDINBURGH CITY CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/01 1010 0361

I have birth certs for John Laughlan (IGI) 1867
William John 1858
death certs for
John Lachlan 1857, Catherine Laughlan 1867, George Laughlan 1864, Jane Laughlan 1881, William Laughlan 1868
marriage certs for William Laughland & Jane Grieve 1855 - then Jane Grieve & William Baird 1876

I do have my fathers - but that is irrelevant at the moment.

I also have this from Scotlands People, but never ordered the cert.
29/11/129 Stewart Janet William MacLagan/Fr2023 2151 F of Dull/Perth - no idea if they are mine though.

The death/burial record for Elizabeth Laughlan in 1844 won't be William's wife, as she's on the 1851 census. Were you thinking of a daughter?

The 1854 one in Ayr would seem more likely to me.

I reckon the odds are against the Perth couple being yours.

If you dm me the details of what is on each record, then I'll see what I can turn up. One of my branches was in Renfrewshire and Ayrshire (came from Ireland, too), so have some bits and pieces around.

geniebug
01-07-13, 11:35
That was stupid of me saying 1844 for her death, when I knew Samuel had been born in 1851 - I think I just saw the Lanark, where he was born.

You want me to dm my records (I presume you mean census, births deaths and marriages. Do you want me to email them to you? If so, can you pm your email address?

Shona
01-07-13, 14:41
Sorry, I meant to pm me!

I've been looking at a transcript of the 1831 Co Londonderry census for the Parish of Drumachose to see if there are any useful clues. Here's the list of the heads of household with the name Stuart and McLoughlin and the respective townlands.

Charles Stuart, Ballynahery
Samuel Stuart, Ballynahery
Matthew Stewart, Drumramer
Robert Stuart, Limavady, Lanes and Yards
David Stuart, Limavady, Linenhall Street
William Stuart, Limavady, Linenhall Street
Miss Steward, Limavady, Main Street
Edward Stuart, Limavady, Pound Lane
Samuel Stuart, Limavady, Pound Lane
Matthew Stewart, Ruskey

Thomas O'Loughlin, Limavady, Scotch Row

William McLoughlin, Ardgarvan
Patrick McLaughlin, Ballynahey
Brian McLoughlin, Carran
James McLoughlin, Carran
John McLoughln, Carran
Patrick McLoughln, Drummond
Mark McLoughln, Dunmore
Brian McLoughln, Enagh
John McLoughln, Enagh
Edward McLoughln, Glenkeen
David McLoughln, Keady
Billy/Betty? McLoughln, Limavady/Ballyclose
Hugh McLoughln, Limavady/Isle of Mann
James McLoughln, Limavady, Lanes and Yards
Edward McLoughln, Limavady Linenhall Street
Edward McLoughln, Limavady Linenhall Street
Daniel McLoughlin, Limavady, Market House Street
James McLoughlin, Limavady, Market House Street
Josh McLoughlin, Limavady, Market House Street
John McLoughlin, Limavady, Pound Lane

I wonder if the Samuel Stuarts are connected with William's mother?

The most common surnames in the parish of Drumachose in 1858/9 were:
1 McLoughlin
2 Smith
3 Stuart/Stewart

geniebug
01-07-13, 22:23
Have pmed you

geniebug
06-07-13, 23:19
Shona did you get my email?

Shona
06-07-13, 23:23
Yes - sorry for not replying. Have been going through your info - will get back to you with some suggestions v soon.

geniebug
06-07-13, 23:50
Thanks - was just curious. Dont forget I have scottish credits now so up for suggestions which certs I should try for.