PDA

View Full Version : Oxfordshire will transcriptions OFHS

ElizabethHerts
15-06-13, 08:34
Some of you will already be aware of this very welcome service provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society, but I thought I'd give it another plug.

You can send in transcriptions, and they are made available in indexed form.
You can easily search for other transcriptions too.

http://wills.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/index.html

I have started sending in my transcriptions, and I have been very pleased that I have. If you send the copy of the document, the very helpful site coordinator checks it against your transcription and helps with any problems.
It must a labour of love, considering there are references to over 55,000 people.

Asa
15-06-13, 09:10
Thanks, Elizabeth - I ought to do this as Ive gathered a substantial collection of Oxfordshire wills now

ElizabethHerts
15-06-13, 09:30
Thanks, Elizabeth - I ought to do this as Ive gathered a substantial collection of Oxfordshire wills now

I did think of you, David!
The first of my transcriptions appeared yesterday, and I think he has more to put on. I'm working on a few more - one with a rather challenging inventory.

Have you found any that you needed already transcribed?

Asa
15-06-13, 09:52
Not yet but I'm immersed in one set of families at the moment and as they don't appear, I haven't looked properly through the other names.

As I've gathered so many lately, I must admit I've been making points and not fully transcribing them so I really need some time to spend on this:-)

By the way, I have just subscribed to the Genealogist website and found an Oxfordshire will that I haven't found on Origins or the NA site.

ElizabethHerts
15-06-13, 10:59
That's interesting about the Genealogist website. I will have to take out a 3 day sub some time, but I'd need to make a list of what to look at.

Some of the wills on the OFHS website aren't fully transcribed, but just summarised.

kiterunner
15-06-13, 12:05
That's interesting about the Genealogist website. I will have to take out a 3 day sub some time, but I'd need to make a list of what to look at.

They don't offer a 3 day sub as far as I know. :confused: There is a 14 day free trial if you haven't had one before - it looks as though you have to give them your credit card details and then cancel if you don't want to pay for a sub. http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/14day/
I can't guarantee that the free trial is still available as I found it on Google rather than navigating the website. You would need to read the terms and conditions carefully to make sure you cancel in time.

ElizabethHerts
15-06-13, 12:23
I'm getting muddled with Origins, I think, Kate.
At present I've got far too much to work through to even think about it!

Asa
15-06-13, 18:05
Elizabeth, I did transcribe a will this morning with a few words missing - are they happy to accept that? Although if I can send a PDF image to them I can do that. I've just been through the whole list and not found anyone but there's a lack in the Henley to Wallingford area where mine mostly are so I might have to step up :-)

ElizabethHerts
15-06-13, 18:30
David, just send it to them with the PDF file. Dave Beames is very good at supplying missing words. I had an awful inventory and he sorted it out, and he has taught me a lot about what to expect in the probate clauses.

He also puts the wills in a very good format. Look at my transcription for my Edmond/Edward Armsby/Armesby, which was a complicated case. Not only did he supply difficult words, he also made sense of what happened.

http://wills.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/az/wtext/armsby_002.html

It is a great service, from someone who is really conversant with old wills.

Mary from Italy
15-06-13, 20:23
I can't guarantee that the free trial is still available as I found it on Google rather than navigating the website.

It is, I took it out a week ago.

Jill
15-06-13, 20:33
Some years ago I sent a transcript of a will to a lady on Genes Reunited who was a member of Radley local history society and I see their secretary has taken credit for my transcript. I also hold a marriage cert for one of the legatees, who as she had married a distant cousin had not changed her surname, and there's a note against it to say that the information should not be relied upon! Miffed, to say the least...

Asa
16-06-13, 05:29
Thanks Elizabeth - I will do some. I don't think I'll do any that I've bought from the genealogist because they have very strict rules about things and I'm already nervous about the "reasonable use" given that I'm at this "hobby" every day.

Jill, that's a shame you had that experience - at least this site looks like it's a help to everyone who's involved.

ElizabethHerts
16-06-13, 07:33
Jill, that is a cheek!

You have 3 options with this website, Jill, as I recall.
You can have your name acknowledged and be contactable, you can be totally anonymous and there is an in-between state, I can't quite remember the details.

(I wrote this last night, but I didn't press the "quick reply" box, so it was still sitting unposted this morning!)

ElizabethHerts
16-06-13, 21:43
Today I've had an e-mail from someone thanking me for posting the will of John Jeffcoat - it only appeared on the site yesterday!

Asa
05-07-13, 06:13
I've just submitted my first will - have sent a PDF and a bit of a dodgy attempt at transcription :-)

ElizabethHerts
05-07-13, 06:58
Asa, I'm sure David Beames will get back to you with any suggestions and corrections. He uploads the new transcriptions once every month, and they are highlighted in yellow.

I have sent a few more, and have some more to send him.