PDA

View Full Version : Griffith's Valuations Ireland 1848-1864

tenterfieldjulie
15-06-13, 03:15
I am hoping that someone can explain how the Griffith's Valuations are produced, because it covers such a wide time frame?
Patrick Connors, then his widow Bridget and then probably their son Francis, farmed land as tenants at Glenastar townland outside Ardagh in Limerick, Ireland.
I looked at the Griffith's Valuations for the County Limerick, Barony Glenquin, Parish Newcastle, Townland Glenastar and looked at the headings under Names of Townlands Occupiers and Immediate Lessors. I had hoped to look at a book which gave descriptions what each column meant but I ran out of time.
It looks like there is an occupier and then someone leases something and then it is possibly relet.
For Glenastar it first has:
Michael Connors; (then adjacent column), Reps. John Upton; House, Office (Barns) and Land, bracketed with Land (including bog).
next entry Vacant; Michael Connors; House and office (barns).
Mary Grenane?; Michael Connors; House and gardens.
Daniel Madigan; Michael Connors; House.
Vacant; Michael Connors; House and office (barns).
Patrick Connors; Reps. John Upton; Can't read then Land.
Peter? Reid? Patrick Connors; House.
Overpage
John Connors; Michael Alley & partners; House Office & gardens.
further down
John Connors; Patrick Dillane; Land.

Can anyone give me an interpretation of what the above means?

To me it seems that somewhere between 1848-1864, Michael Connors was a tenant farmer with land & cottages which he then leased?
Patrick Connors also had Land and House and so did John Connors.
Possibly Michael was the father and maybe Patrick and John were his sons?

Any insights appreciated. Julie

Shona
15-06-13, 08:51
The primary valuation of Ireland (Griffith's Valuation) was carried out between 1848 and 1864 to determine liability to pay the Poor Rate within each Poor Law union.

The primary valuation for Co Limerick was conducted between 1850 and 1852.

tenterfieldjulie
15-06-13, 08:56
Oh that is great info Shona.
I saw a friend's father-in-law's family this afternoon and the name was notated as Sullivan (Crone). I wish the Connors were so notated.
I will have to spend more time magnifying the information and trying to understand it's implications. Julie

Shona
15-06-13, 08:59
Julie, this link takes you to Ask About Ireland's explanation of the meaning of the columns in the valuation.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/irish-genealogy/understanding-the-valuati/

On the right-hand side of the page, there is a menu column with explanations of:
- townlands and occupiers
- immediate lessors
- description of tenement and area
- rateable annual valuation

If the link doesn't work, I'll cut and paste for you.

Shona
15-06-13, 09:11
Had a lot at the orig document.

'Reps of John Upton' means 'Representatives of John Upton'.

This may mean the people put in charge of sorting out Mr Upton's affairs following his death.

Shona
15-06-13, 09:21
Here is a link to the Glanaster (that's the spelling used) in the Tithe Applotment Books - date 1829.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625704/004625704_00293.pdf

tenterfieldjulie
15-06-13, 09:37
Ooh thank you .. nothing is every spelt the same is it .. to confuse the tourists lol

tenterfieldjulie
15-06-13, 09:55
Interesting reading, thanks Shona.
Do I read it correctly Messrs. Connors?
They didn't have any first quality land, but did have 152 acres in total, the largest area of land in the townland. 26 acres 2nd quality, 54 acres 3rd and in actual fact 72 acres of 5th .. which is probably bog. I have so much more to work with when I return to Glenastar. Julie

Shona
15-06-13, 10:28
Looks like Messrs to me.

Wonder if this was found in their bog?!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardagh_Hoard

tenterfieldjulie
15-06-13, 10:50
No, I did read about it recently though. Looking forward to having a look at it in Dublin next year though. My friend and I went looking for a small museum in Ardagh but couldn't find it.
The map I found on Ancestry, showed me that when we visited Ardagh and went to look at Glenastar, the Satnav took us up the hill and away from Glenastar House and Cottages, so I will know better next time.