PDA

View Full Version : Which book is this from?

scuda
14-06-13, 16:34
I was googling to find information for my research on north Devon mariners, and found this: http://s3.amazonaws.com/historypie_devel/class/files/6869/original/img016.pdf
Can anyone work out what book it comes from? I just can't find a way of getting more than these few pages to find out.

Thanks.

scuda

Shona
14-06-13, 17:40
I can find references to the rescue of the Austrian barque, Pace, by the RNLI lifeboat, Hope. Joseph Cox mentioned in tbe snippet was given a medal for the rescue. There is a painting of the event by Mark Myers. I wonder if the RNLI have an archivist?

scuda
14-06-13, 17:49
Thanks Shona. I have lots of newspaper articles and other information about this, I was just hoping to identify the source of this particular article.

scuda

Shona
14-06-13, 18:28
Long shot, but try typing a tract of the text into your search engine.

scuda
14-06-13, 18:38
I've tried every trick I can think of, including that one, without getting anywhere. I hoped someone here would know yet another trick!

scuda

Mary from Italy
14-06-13, 19:02
I also tried searching Google web search and book search for a couple of excerpts from the article, but no luck.

scuda
14-06-13, 19:57
Thanks for trying, Mary.

scuda

Phoenix
14-06-13, 20:55
It looks as if it comes from something called the banner of faith.

If you put the words Appledore Men and 1888 into FMP, you come up with the text.

I think what you found was someone's photobucket-style storage that wasn't protected.

Shona
14-06-13, 21:38
Great detective work, Phoenix.

This link takes you to an archive, which seems to indicate that the edition of the magazine the article appeared in can be downloaded.

http://www.sharehistory.org/janes/uploads/6869-appledore-shipwreck-of-the-pace

EDIT: The download contains the pages at the start of the thread.

Have seen a couple of editions of the magazine on eBay - wrong year, though.

scuda
15-06-13, 06:07
Well done, Phoenix, thanks. So the article is from a Victorian religious magazine - that fits with the general feel of the text.

That's an interesting site, Shona, I don't think I've come across it before.

scuda

Shona
15-06-13, 09:33
A number of Devon mariners ended up in Grimsby after the distant water fleet was established.

scuda
15-06-13, 12:08
I can well imagine that, Shona. The Grimsby connection probably won't be relevant to me, though, as I'm taking local headstones, etc, as my starting point, and researching the stories behind them.

scuda