PDA

View Full Version : More frustrating!!

Merry
09-06-13, 17:42
Browsing my tree this morning I pondered the fact (yet again) that my 3xg-grandfather didn't write a will. How long ago was it I'd decided that? Maybe 10 years since I'd written to the county record office asking if they had anything and nothing showing on the PCC records. Had I ever looked at the death duty index on FMP for him? I couldn't remember, so looked and......Yeh.....Consistory Court of Ely - their records are at Huntingdon RO not Cambridge, where I'd written, so no wonder I didn't have it.

All that thinking and looking took probably 30 minutes or so and I was just debating whether to email straight away or do it later when I mentioned to OH what I'd found.

He said, "Oh, is that the will where he says he'll give his widow £50 if she remarries?"

I already have it and the image of it is attached to my tree as plain as day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read it, but don't remember seeing it before! How many other documents do I already have, but don't know it?

Does this just happen to me, or is it you as well??

Make me feel better with your stories! lol

Margaret in Burton
09-06-13, 19:40
Ive got the same WRONG death cert twice.

Merry
09-06-13, 19:46
Ive got the same WRONG death cert twice.

I think my OH has done that, Marg!!

Mary from Italy
09-06-13, 20:50
I quite often think I've made a really interesting find, go to add it to my tree, and it's already there.

I don't think I've got any duplicate certs, because I have a list of what I need, and tick them off when they arrive, but I have downloaded the same will twice from TNA.

ElizabethHerts
09-06-13, 20:59
I know I have asked a question on here, only to be told that I had already asked it before and had been given the information I needed. :o:o:D

tenterfieldjulie
09-06-13, 22:37
I was getting all upbeat the other day with what I was finding in Somerset and tried to phone an interested cousin, fortunately he wasn't at home. I then decided to look at some recent emails he'd sent me .. there was the info I was going to tell him... I was very pleased that he wasn't home when I rang .. or I can imagine his exasperation oops.
Yes we all do it .. Julie

Shona
10-06-13, 08:09
Discussing this week's 5 x great-grandparents challenge with the OH.

Me: 'You remember Beckie Blue?'
OH: 'Colonsay, right? Loads of illegitimate sprogs?'
Me (impressed): 'Yep. Her parents were Alexander Blue and Jean 'Jenny' Ross.'
OH: 'I remember.'
Me (incredulous): 'You do?'
OH: 'You tell me everything three time at least. Are you now going to reveal that you don't think the Ross family were native islanders?'
Me (slightly miffed): 'Er...yes.'
OH: 'Beckie was buried on the neighbouring island of Oronsay, wasn't she? You do remember that.'
Me (fibbing): Of course!'
OH: 'When we were on Colonsay years back - you hadn't discovered the Blue branch back then, otherwise we would've spent hours scrabbling through bracken and squelching through bogs, while being eaten alive by midges, to reach some teetering, remote ruin where your lot lived. Anyway, we walked over the tidal flats to Oronsay and you took lots of photos of the gravestones. Dig them out - there may be a Blue or Ross stone.'
Me (glaring): 'I didn't know there was a connection, then, so I didn't systematically photograph every headstone.'
OH: 'I'm sure you've hypothesised that the Ross family could have moved to the island to work for the MacNeill's who owned Oronsay House.'
Me (accusingly): 'You been reading my posts?'

Yes, Merry. Happens to us all.

Nell
10-06-13, 11:25
It does indeed. The number of times I've "found" something online or in an archive and gone through my paper files only to discover I'd already recorded it!