PDA

View Full Version : Scottish naming pattern? Help

JayG
08-06-13, 16:53
My 5x great grandparents William Curry (son of John Curry & Elizabeth Elliot) and Jane Gordon (dau of Robert Gordon & Jane Atkinson) married in 1795 in Monkwearmouth, Durham. Their first five children appear to follow a naming pattern

John - grandfather (P)
Robert - grandfather (M)
Elizabeth - grandmother (P)
William - father
Jane - mother and grandmother (M)

The rest of their children were

Ralph
Mary Ann
Thomas
Isabella
Mark

I don't have any Scottish ancestors, though I think Jane Gordon's family will lead that way. Is it possible to workout who the last five children may be named after?

Asa
08-06-13, 17:08
This is the one I keep hold of but there are varieties

"First son is named for the Father's Father.
Second son is named for the Mother's Father.
Third son is named for the Father's Father's Father.
Fourth son is named for the Mother's Mother's Father.
Fifth son is named for the Father's Mother's Father.
Sixth son is named for the Mother's Father's Father.
Seventh through Tenth sons are named for the Father's Great-Grandfathers.
Tenth through Fourteenth sons for the Mother's Great-Grandfathers.

First daughter is named for the Mother's Mother.
Second daughter is named for the Father's Mother.
Third daughter is named for the Mother's Father's Mother.
Fourth daughter is named for the Father's Father's Mother.
Fifth daughter is named for the Mother's Mother's Mother.
Sixth daughter is named for the Father's Mother's Mother.
Seventh through tenth daughters are named for the Mother's Great-Grandmothers.
Tenth through fourteenth daughters for the Father's Great-Grandmothers.

NOTES:

In some cases you will find that the order is reversed with the first and second children, i.e. the first-born son being named after the mother's father and the second-born son after the father's father. If this is the case then the daughters are also usually reversed.

You will also find instances where a child is named 'out of pattern', after an aunt or uncle who has died, or after an admired other relative or friend of the parent.

If a child dies in infancy, his or her name is often given to a subsequent child - a natural consequence of the high birth rate and infant mortality rates of past times.

These are only general guidelines and were certainly not always followed."

Shona
08-06-13, 17:18
Currie is a Scottish surname.

kiterunner
08-06-13, 17:43
If they were following the traditional pattern then the first daughter should have been named Jane, so it doesn't look as though we would be able to work out for sure who the rest were named after.

JayG
08-06-13, 18:09
Thanks Asa, I think i've seen that and many others when I was googling, none seemed to be the same, hence this thread.

Didn't know that, thanks Shona, something to bear in mind.

Thanks Kate, knew something would put a spanner in the works lol. All the children upto Jane were born two years apart so I can't see a space for an earlier Jane might of been born.

Asa
08-06-13, 18:15
I have some Scottish ancestors who do seem to use naming patterns but of course it doesn't take into account duplication of names. I find it helpful to find likely ancestors and narrow them down by looking at the children's names if that makes sense

JBee
08-06-13, 19:35
I have one scottish family where all the children are named after the father's side of the family including the surnames as middle names - even step-mother's family too but none after mother's family.

Also in Sunderland I have eldest son given the names of both grandfathers John paternal grandfather and William maternal grandfather and second son named after his father!! lol
The eldest girl after paternal grandmother and second girl after material grandmother!!!

Shona
08-06-13, 21:44
Maiden names used as middle names is fairly common in Scotland. My Mum has her gran, great-gran and great-great gran!s maiden names as her middle names.

JBee
08-06-13, 23:16
Yes I know - some of her grandchildren were given her family's names as first and middle names. I just thought it strange given the usual naming patterns.