PDA

View Full Version : Death in San Francisco in 1941

tenterfieldjulie
05-06-13, 09:46
Bridget Mary Smellie, nee Butler (Mrs. William) died in San Francisco on the 12th Sept 1941.
I am wondering if there was a death notice for her in the newspaper of the day and where one would look for it please? Thanks Julie

kiterunner
05-06-13, 10:04
The two sites I would try for American newspapers are findmypast.com and newspapers.com but neither of them is coming up with anything for her.

tenterfieldjulie
05-06-13, 11:48
Thanks for looking Kate. I really need to get a sub for FMP.
I have been doing well with Smellie family on Ancestry through databases and Census.
I have found a marriage of Thomas S. (Smellie) Moncur in the 1st Q of 1918 at South Shields Durham No. 1a P1419 to a Miss Kelly. I tried looking through the Kelly's and there are thousands of them.
I tried looking on FreeBDM but it couldn't find it.
Can you suggest how to find the page please? Julie

kiterunner
05-06-13, 11:58
Yes, just search on FreeBMD for a marriage with surname Kelly and spouse's surname Moncur and it will come up - Elizabeth Kelly. But it also comes up if you search for Thomas's marriage on FreeBMD and just click on the page number, so I'm not sure why you couldn't find her. :confused:

tenterfieldjulie
05-06-13, 12:15
Not I am not sure either. I kept trying and re checking, I even just put Moncur and it wouldn't bring it up!!! .. Thanks that is great.
I'm trying to track the other children in case the parents are with them ..
I think Mary 1841 and Elizabeth 1849 must have died, as they are not on any Census. Margaret 1842 is on the 1851 census, so I hope she married before the 1861 there are at least 2 marriages in 1856 to Robert Gillon and John Buchanan that I need to check the Census.
Janet 1844 (Jessie) is a strange one, she doesn't appear on the census with Thomas and Marion until 1871. Maybe if I can find her in 1851 and 1861 it might connect me with other family.