PDA

View Full Version : John Ramon Alltoft

Shona
02-06-13, 17:12
In April 1917, JRA was recorded as missing in action - he was serving in France with the 8th Batt Lincolnshire Regiment. A month after the Armistice, he was officially declared as having been killed in action.

JRA's service records survive. He is easy to trace in the census records, as are his parents.

What puzzles me is that I haven't been able to find him in the CWGC database. He is listed on two war memorials in Barton Upon Humber, as well as a roll of honour. He should also appear on one of the memorials to the missing in France.

He was born in 1891, son of Charles Samuel Alltoft and Annie Louisa née Marr. Annie was widowed in 1912. His effects and medals were sent to her at 26 Queen's Avenue, Barton.

Can others please have a look for him, please.

kiterunner
02-06-13, 18:17
His service number is 27527 on his army records, and searching for that number on the CWGC site comes up with 36 matches but none of them looks like him.

Merry
02-06-13, 18:45
A site called "Reclaim the Bases" states:

An estimated 45,000 names are missing from the Commission's registers
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission is charged with the duty of commemorating any officers and men from Great Britain and her Empire who so courageously and selflessly laid down their lives in the service of their country. There are an estimated 45,000 of "The Fallen" missing from the Commission's registers and memorials throughout the world.

Mary from Italy
02-06-13, 20:27
Might be worth trying the International Red Cross - they have files on soldiers MIA which sometimes state the place of burial (I've seen some for Australian servicemen which are online on an Aus site).

Shona
02-06-13, 21:20
Thanks Kate, Merry and Mary for looking. Seems as if John is one of those 45,000 'missing from the registers'. I wonder if the CWGC add new names to memorials to the missing?

annswabey
03-06-13, 07:43
They do - have a look here

http://www.infromthecold.org/