PDA

View Full Version : Occupations in the 1871 Census

tenterfieldjulie
30-05-13, 05:27
The Smellie family lived at Bell Street, Renfrew in Scotland in the 1871 Census.
Thomas, the father, was absent, in previous census he had been a joiner, joiner journeyman and then an engine smith. His son's marriage cert gave Thomas' occupation as engineer.
The sons living at home in 1871 were:- William, 19, whose occupation was transcribed as clerk commerant ? (later to work as clerk/accountant for Shipping Cos in India, Australia and U.S.A.) and John, 17, whose occupation was transcribed as pattern maker. He worked in Australia as engineer on ships and tugs.
I am hoping that someone may tell me specifically what the boys occupations were in 1871. Thanks. Julie.

ElizabethHerts
30-05-13, 07:07
FMP says William is Clerk commercial.
John Apprentice pattern maker.
However, there are no images, just transcriptions.

tenterfieldjulie
30-05-13, 08:54
Thanks Elizabeth. Commercial makes sense ..
Not sure what a pattern maker did. I've only seen a poor copy of John's marriage cert and his occupation is impossible to read. I'll have to see if I can find an image online for SA marriages. John's trade or calling looks like .....fitter? he married 13/9/1881 at Port August, SA to Sarah Fulton.

Vicwinann
31-05-13, 20:16
Hello
Patternmakers are those men who make templates (patterns) to create moulds, which are usually then used for casting metal in foundrys.
The other sort of pattern maker worked with fabrics.
Vicwinann

tenterfieldjulie
31-05-13, 21:52
Thanks Vicwinann .. I wish I had a better image from his marriage cert, to see if it related to his apprenticeship with pattern making. Julie

garstonite
01-06-13, 10:51
If he was a Joiner ( as am I ) sometimes a Joiner would make a pattern by hand so that it could be used in a factory ...for instance - a roof spar - 14ft long / birds mouth cut out on wallplate / purlin / and top angle and bottom angle cuts ...the joiner would make ONE exact ...and that would go to be copied 80 times to produce all the roof spars ....does that make sense to you ......hope it explains that a Joiner may well have been the pattern maker in a Sawmill / Joinery Factory ...
allan