PDA

View Full Version : New game - Take One Great-Grandparent

kiterunner
12-11-09, 07:19
Our new research game, starting this weekend.

The idea is that each week everyone who wants to take part focusses on one great-grandparent - with a weekly poll to decide which one, first poll being on this very thread. The g-gs that have already had their go will be left out of subsequent polls.

This is how it's going to work, when we have the poll results to see which great-grandparent we're starting with.

Can you fill in all of the information:

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Date and place of birth
Names of parents
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Occupation(s) - if any
Military service - if any
Addresses where they lived
Date, place and cause of death
Date and place of burial / cremation.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Adoptive or step-great-grandparents welcome! If your great-grandparent is still alive then sit that week out or use your partner's great-grandparent instead.

The idea is to see what blanks need filling in, and get help with filling them. If you're lucky enough to have all the information already, then you can still post it up if you want, so that search engines can pick it up.

Guinevere
12-11-09, 07:25
I've voted for my favourite ancestor.

Rosie Knees
12-11-09, 09:45
tagging this for later so I can decide and vote.

Uncle John
12-11-09, 10:04
I've voted for the one I know least about.

Jennifer Eccles
12-11-09, 10:21
I voted for the most trickiest one.

Merry
12-11-09, 10:34
I've voted for my favourite ancestor.

*frets as to who that might be* :o

I've selected with a bit of paper, blindfold and pin :D

Rosie Knees
12-11-09, 11:42
I shall choose one of my dad's GPs

Phoenix
12-11-09, 11:50
Voted for my mum's favourite grandparent. Can't fill all the boxes, but do have plenty of stories.

Lynn the Forest Fan
12-11-09, 13:33
I'm lucky n that I know a bit about my g grandparents, so it was hard to choose, but I have done. :)

Rosie Knees
12-11-09, 15:01
Got to be a Foster .... :D

Georgette
12-11-09, 15:10
I've chosen too :D

Joan of Archives
12-11-09, 16:15
Omg if you can find OH's mother's father's father I will be thrilled lol!! :d

Phoenix
12-11-09, 16:20
I've just realised *gulp* when my father's father's father was born. Blow the military service. Suffice it to say that his uncle was in the militia;)

Katarzyna
12-11-09, 16:31
Trickiest one for me too!

Muggins in Sussex
12-11-09, 17:36
I only know who two of them were, so have voted for one of them :d

Phoenix
12-11-09, 17:38
Out of curiosity, why are the men more popular than the women? Back in the 1700s some women get very shadowy, but my great grandmothers all have clear personalities, even if none were in the army or made wills.

borobabs
12-11-09, 18:38
Oh well have voted but think I have done it wrong ;;Its my G.Gradfather William Baker

Rosie Knees
12-11-09, 18:48
can sks enlighten me; what happens when the thread closes tomorrow?

Sorry to sound thick lol

maggie_4_7
12-11-09, 18:54
I know a lot but is this just confined to England and Wales Family History?

peppie
12-11-09, 20:38
No Idea what I'm letting myself in for but I voted :d

kiterunner
12-11-09, 21:56
The idea is that starting tomorrow, everybody who wants to take part copies out the form from post #1 of and fills in all the info they already have about whichever great-grandparent has come top in the poll (at the moment, father's mother's father is in the lead).

Then you post up a new thread on the Research board with a prefix of [TOGG] (don't worry if you don't know how to do this because you will see the option as soon as you click on the New Thread button; just select [TOGG] from the prefix dropdown menu. If you forget then we can add it for you anyway).

Put your great-grandparent's name in the thread title - or if you don't know their name put whatever you like, lol. Fill in the info that you have and then we can all get busy trying to fill in the blanks for ourselves and for each other.

JayG
12-11-09, 22:47
I know a lot but is this just confined to England and Wales Family History?

Hope not Maggie, the one I voted for was born in America.

marquette
13-11-09, 04:52
Am I too late ? i don't know what the time is, over there in England !

Muggins in Sussex
13-11-09, 05:34
Hi, Marquette -:) - The game starts tomorrow, so you are not too late :)

It's 6.34 on Friday morning here and the game starts on Saturday

kiterunner
13-11-09, 08:07
It starts this morning, actually, as soon as I've posted up the instructions! And it covers all the world, definitely not just England and Wales. I for one am certainly hoping for help with other countries.

Mary from Italy
13-11-09, 09:47
Oh dear, I don't think I'd better participate in this one. I've got loads of information about the person I thought was my father's mother's father (who's listed as her father on her birth cert), but some recent information suggests that his wife was playing away...

Phoenix
13-11-09, 15:30
Have to say this game is very good for highlighting what I thought I knew BUT HAVEN'T WRITTEN DOWN:o

Margaret in Burton
13-11-09, 15:34
Well I think it's a brilliant game. Got mine sorted already thanks to Jackie.

Durham Lady
13-11-09, 17:15
Fiddlestick! am I too late, hadn't made my mind up so didn't get around to voting, was sure I had more time!!!!!
Also can someone tell me what TOGG means? I noticed it on the main threads page too.

Phoenix
13-11-09, 17:24
Take One G Grandparent - and I hope you're not too late, as I'm off home to dig out old certs!

Tilly Mint
13-11-09, 17:37
Great idea.....and to start with my g grandfather is my biggest wall !!

kiterunner
13-11-09, 18:03
Daphne, you're not too late to take part - just read the sticky thread at the top of this board and all should become clear.

HarrysMum
14-11-09, 00:52
Can we do our OH's as well????

Margaret in Burton
14-11-09, 09:38
Can we do our OH's as well????

I was going to ask that. :D

kiterunner
14-11-09, 10:14
Yes, you can.

Margaret in Burton
14-11-09, 11:24
Yes, you can.

Ooh thanks. I'll do OH's James Cox then in a bit

Rosie Knees
14-11-09, 13:08
Thanks for this game.

It has brought to light the fact that I hadn't located my bloke's death. Just found him on BMD and it's so sad, he died the quarter before my dad was born so Ada, dad's mum, would have been pregnant with dad when HER dad died.

Have ordered the cert now.

Wonder if he left a will?

Margaret, my OH's mum was a COX. Farndon, Notts being the ancestral village.

Margaret in Burton
14-11-09, 13:40
All OH's Cox's were Ashby

HarrysMum
14-11-09, 21:37
Thanks Kite...........

kiterunner
16-11-09, 15:48
Due to the unexpectedly large number of participants, we've moved the threads onto a new board of their own:

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21