PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Read -

tenterfieldjulie
25-05-13, 12:02
Has anyone read a book by Anthony J Camp (a genealogist writer) called Royal Mistresses and Badstarts? My interpretation as I don't want to get modded.. Julie (We might be connected to Royalty .. on the wrong side of the blanket:o .. and I am dying to know who?)

Olde Crone
25-05-13, 22:30
Julie

I haven't read it, but the reviews call it a scholarly work with fact and fiction intermingled........you presumably have to do the unmingling yourself!

OC

tenterfieldjulie
26-05-13, 01:02
Hi OC, I've ordered it on inter-library loan and I'm quite looking forward to seeing how Anthony Camp has written it, apart from the content. He has written quite a few books on genealogy, so I will be interested to see his approach. My grandmother's grandfather from Carmarthenshire, was the oldest of the family of 12. His youngest brother, Henry Bowen Davies, married Agnes Dalton Prytherch in 1871. Previously Agnes and her mother Caroline were lodging with them in the 1871 Census. Whether that is how they met, or whether they were planning to marry I do not know. Caroline was born in India and I think maybe it was the Dalton family who had the Royal supposed connection. I will be very interested to read what Anthony Camp says. Julie

Phoenix
26-05-13, 09:31
In pre-internet days, Anthony Camp was the deity we bowed to. When I received a personal letter from him (having read one of my book reviews!) I felt as if I had arrived.

His interest started as a boy, he was for many the years the Director of the Society of Genealogists and before he retired used to write a column for one of the monthly mags.

I always regarded his motto as "If you haven't found them, you haven't looked."

I haven't read his book (and wouldn't dare review it!!) but imagine it would be well worth the effort.

tenterfieldjulie
26-05-13, 11:20
Phoenix I am quite stunned at the moment, having read on another forum about Daniel Prytherch marriage to Caroline Dalton, who was the supposed granddaughter of George III and Hannah Lightfoot. I am eagerly awaiting Anthony Camp's book. Julie

Olde Crone
26-05-13, 18:29
Ooops.

the review I read of the book says he debunks the myth that George III and Hannah Lightfoot had a child together!

Still be worth a good read though. I'll be interested to know what you think of it, I could do with a good read myself.

OC

tenterfieldjulie
26-05-13, 22:28
I am really looking forward to seeing Mr Camp's approach and whether his end notes give me any links to unravelling the Davies.
I'll let you know what I think!! .... I'm a bit wary of my capacity for scholarly interpretation though lol!! Julie