PDA

View Full Version : Ann Goulson b1810 Ropsley, Lincs. HELP!!!

Glen TK
25-05-13, 01:57
Oh boy, just been hit by a major bombshell on my tree

Ropsley, Lincs baptisms 1800-1825 have a series of entries in the surname Goulson, parents Joseph and Mary. For a long time there was a bqptism dated 16th July 1810 baptism of an Ann, dau of Joseph and Mary on the IGI/familysearch. Everything looked to show 12 children born to the couple BUT...........

I've been on Lincstothepast and the scan of the register shows;
16th Jul 1810, Ann Goulson, dau of Joseph and Ann

The familysearch record now shows Joseph and Ann as parents too. It's the record for my 2x grt grandmother and blows my entire tree apart,:eek::eek: I can't find a Joseph/Ann marriage or any other children to a Joseph and Ann.

Ann married in 1839, both witnesses are Goulsons (same names as the baptisms), the 1839 cert along with m/certs for the other Goulson children all show father as Joseph, blacksmith. Is my tree wrong or did someone foul up the register at the time of the baptism?

ElizabethHerts
25-05-13, 06:57
Glen, all I can think is that, having written the baby's name as Ann, the writer had a mental block and wrote Ann again for the mother's name instead of Mary.

Merry
25-05-13, 07:25
I have that happen in my tree. Child Elizabeth, mother Mary, but mother entered in the baptismal register as Elizabeth. I know it's just a mistake as this child is a middle one of several and when Mary died she named all her daughters, inc Elizabeth, in her will!

Phoenix
25-05-13, 08:04
Is there an Ann shaped gap in the series of baptisms?

If there is, I'd be content that the vicar was new/elderly/deaf/forgetful/didn't care.

I once read a learned article about common law wives, based on the appearance of mothers with different names. I have plenty of examples in my tree (and it is not helped when there are two men with the same name in the parish:(). In one case it took thirty years and the chance discovery of a child's death certificate which named a grandmother to enable me to prove conclusively that the register was wrong.

If you have another set of parents, you have another marriage and two burials to find. If you can't find them, the chances are that the register was wrong.

kiterunner
25-05-13, 10:59
Are the Bishop's Transcripts available? It's possible that the entry might be different in there.

Glen TK
25-05-13, 14:17
She had an aunt called Ann and so was her granny, granny was long gone by then and lived in a nearby parish and an uncle who was well to do in the church so maybe it was a brainfade as they all used the same names, and her cousin (son of the uncle) was a Loseph too so that could be where the names get vcrossed.

Lincstothepast was down earlier and I didn't copy the image as their watermark runs through the name, I'll try again later, it's a scan of the genera; register but odd how the IGI/familysearch record has changed too, I wouldn't normally go back to them but I;m checking everything I can just as belt and braces, familysearch seem to swap the records out at times as some I have seen before don't come up recently.

kiterunner
25-05-13, 14:43
odd how the IGI/familysearch record has changed too, I wouldn't normally go back to them but I;m checking everything I can just as belt and braces, familysearch seem to swap the records out at times as some I have seen before don't come up recently.

I was wondering whether the old entry was from the BT's and the new one from the PR's.

Glen TK
25-05-13, 15:56
Possibly, since they swapped familysearch round last time I can't seem to find half of what I could previously. Frereg is still a bit patchy for the area too.

kiterunner
25-05-13, 16:03
I had a brick wall for many years in my tree trying to find the mother of a Mary Wilkinson - Mary's baptism gave her parents' names as John and Mary but I couldn't find their marriage. Also it seemed that Mary sr must have died soon after Mary jr's birth as thte subsequent children of the family had a mother called Elizabeth, but I couldn't find John's marriage to Elizabeth either. I finally found John and Elizabeth's marriage before Mary jr's baptism, and realised that her mother's name was wrong in the PR's.