PDA

View Full Version : Robert Carter possibly went to USA

KiwiChris
24-05-13, 23:55
I am trying to find what happened to the Rev Robert Carter, probably born 1827 Masham Yorkshire, who sailed to New Zealand in 1855 with Bishop Selwyn. He had an exciting time in the short time was in NZ, being shipwrecked alone on an uninhabited island for some months. He was last seen in New Zealand about 1860, and does not appear to have returned to England. He wrote about his adventure and it was published in Harper's New Monthly Magazine in 1866, which suggests that he went to the USA or Canada.
He was still alive in 1893 when he spoke at the Annual Commemoration of the Melanesian Mission at Eton College, and was acknowledged there as the last of Selwyn's New Zealand Clergy.
I have checked the 1880 USA Census and he does not appear to be there.
I could have his birth details incorrect, at the moment Robert Carter b 1827 Masham, is the best fit to be the man I want, but by no means definitely him. He certainly is born no later than 1828.

Could some kind person with access to USA/Canada records have a look and see if they can find an English Clergyman called Robert Carter please??

If I don't come back until tomorrow, I am out of town celebrating my Mum's 86th birthday!

Thanks heaps.

kiterunner
25-05-13, 10:00
He isn't listed in the Clergy List of 1897. And I can't find him in any edition of Crockford's either.

What date in 1893 did he speak at Eton College? There is a Rev Carter sailing from Liverpool to New York on the Campania, 19 Aug 1893. I don't think this is him though as there is an A Carter age 40 arriving in New York on this sailing.

I can't find any trace of him! Apart from on the 1851 English census.

KiwiChris
26-05-13, 02:53
Thanks for looking Kate. He really is a ghostly person! I am only guessing that he the one b Masham for the following reasons:
The one that I want does not appear in any edition for Crockfords that we have checked.
There is an ordination of Robert Carter as deacon 1852 and priest 1853 and that ordination says he was of Bishop Hatfield's Hall.
That Robert Carter does not appear in Crockfords either.
The ordination dates indicate that he was born before 1828, he could not have been ordained priest unless he was at least 25.
I trolled through the 1851 census and found the Masham one was a graduate Bishop Hatfield's Hall.
The Masham Robert does not appear on any other census after 1851.

He spoke at Eton 11 June 1893 - that person has to be the Rev Robert Carter that I want.
I did find Rev Carter with a wife and possibly daughter sailing New York to Liverpool in 1892, but no age or initials.

Further information over the past couple of days suggest:
He may be Robert D Carter.
1862 he was author of article From the Black Rocks on Friday in Charles DICKENS weekly, All the Year Round
c1863 may have been vicar Haydor near Sleaford diocese Lincoln
1866 he was in New York and supposedly on his death bed, but he must have recovered enough to be at Eton in 1893!

I had hoped that him publishing in Harpers indicated that he was in the States or Canada for most of his career, but not if he is not on any census there.