PDA

View Full Version : Which source would you trust the most?

BlueSavannah
23-05-13, 10:34
A date of marriage given on a Scottish birth cert, or transcribed marriage register via Genuki?

I have a couple in my tree that married at Holy Trinity, Wentworth in 1878. (June Q). John Adams to Laura Dodson.

There are some registers for Wentworth on Genuki that just gives the two names and the date of marriage which is given as 16th June 1878. However, I have purchased the birth cert of one of their children that was born in Scotland and this cert states that the couple married at Wentworth on the 11th May 1878.

Would any of you trust on source more than the other? I know that maybe I should purchase the actual marriage cert from the GRO but unfortunately money permits at moment (2nd baby due next week) and this isnt my direct ancestors.

Regards

Merry
23-05-13, 10:44
Wentworth in Surrey?

If you can access other marriages at the same venue on Genuki (before and after the date they give for "your" marriage and before and after the alternative date) then you could look at those marriages on FreeBMD and see if the page numbers make sense - ie all the marriages conducted at that venue should appear in the GRO indexes with consecutive page numbers (obviously some will have the same page numbers - four names to a page at that date) and in date order, so you might be able to determine which date is the more likely.

Good luck with your delivery and the arrival of a new family member!! :)

BlueSavannah
23-05-13, 10:47
No, Wentworth near Rotherham in South Yorkshire. Many apologies, didnt realise there was another Wentworth in the country.

I think I will have to give that idea a go to try and work out which is more likely. I would have thought that a couple would remember the date they married, but then I think would the registers be wrong :confused:

ElizabethHerts
23-05-13, 10:48
It's Wentworth in West Yorkshire, Merry. I use the web page frequently for some of OH's family. It's on the Wath upon Dearne page.

I think I'd trust the register transcription more, but either could be wrong.

Olde Crone
23-05-13, 10:54
I have several Scottish birth certificates quoting a date and place for a marriage which never took place, lol and a few more which shifted the dates about to make a birth appear respectable when in fact it took place rather too soon after the marriage.

Either source could be wrong, for different reasons.

OC

BlueSavannah
23-05-13, 11:03
Thanks Elizabeth & OC. Think I will put the date on the register in tentively but with extensive notes about both dates and that both could be wrong

Shona
23-05-13, 11:29
Could the earlier date be when banns were read?

BlueSavannah
23-05-13, 11:47
Very possible Shona, though without a visit to the relevant archives, I wouldn't be able to prove that. Maybe their memories weren't very good lol

Merry
23-05-13, 11:51
No, Wentworth near Rotherham in South Yorkshire. Many apologies, didnt realise there was another Wentworth in the country.

It doesn't matter, I was only checking it wasn't somewhere in Scotland, as I don't think my advice would work then!

Olde Crone
23-05-13, 15:00
Ummmmm....I've been married twice and while I can remember the date of my first wedding, I simply CANNOT remember the date of the second...it was either the 29th,30th or 31st of January.

OC

Shona
23-05-13, 15:16
Ummmmm....I've been married twice and while I can remember the date of my first wedding, I simply CANNOT remember the date of the second...it was either the 29th,30th or 31st of January.

OC

I can't remember in which year I got married. I do recall, though, that the day in question was a Saturday :D:D:D:D:D.

Uncle John
23-05-13, 18:49
It's Wentworth in West Yorkshire, Merry. I use the web page frequently for some of OH's family. It's on the Wath upon Dearne page.

Part of the confusion perhaps lies in changing of county boundaries. Wentworth near Wath (wherein lies the stately pile Wentworth Woodhouse) was in the West Riding when I was at school. In 1974 the three Ridings became 4 counties (ignoring all the metropolitan boroughs that sprang up at the same time) and Wentworth moved into the People's Republic of South Yorkshire.

Glen TK
23-05-13, 19:31
I can't remember in which year I got married. I do recall, though, that the day in question was a Saturday :D:D:D:D:D.

Same for me and it was in a Lincolnshire building also used as a court, safe to say the registrar handed out a stiffer sentence than any judge did to a felon who ventured in there.