PDA

View Full Version : Pring Family of Somerset and Devon

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 10:27
I have been trying to trace back my Pring Family and they have unravelled.
My first Pring Ancestor was Amy Pring, who married John Sloman (1792-1864) at Milverton in Somerset in 1816.
Amy’s parents were Edward Pring who married Mary Hall (1756-1825) in 1780 in Milverton. Their children – Thomas 1781, James 1782, William 1786, John 1789 and my Amy 1793-1833.
Edward was the son of William and Mary Southey (1723-1787) who married in 1748 in Milverton. Their children Hannah 1749, unnamed 1750, William 1752, Edward 1754-1825 and John 1756. Edward was the only one to reach maturity.
Edward’s father William, was the son of Anthony and Mary Farthing (1702-1737) who also married in 1725 in Milverton. The only children I can find recorded are William 1726 and Grace 1727-1730. I am not sure if my William died in 1780 or 1800.
Anthony died in the Workhouse in Milverton in 1757.
The Pring, (Pryng, Prynge) family can be traced back to Devon. It appears that they first settled in Somerset in Milverton and Runnington (only marriages transcribed). The first record of the Pring family, indexed online, that I have found in Milverton, is the marriage of Henry Pring to Margaret Perrie in 1618.
Then either they moved about a lot and the records haven’t survived or been transcribed, and/or the records at Milverton are extremely hard to transcribe.
The first baptism is in 1652 of John Pring, son of Francis and Margery. Then in 1664 Richard son of L……. ner and Margery (so possibly also Francis) big gap between 1652 and 1664.
Then baptisms for children of Anthony and Grace – Grace 1664, John 1671 and Edward 1681. I feel that there should be more baptisms and possibly an Anthony.
In 1708 Anthony and Margarett baptised a daughter Mary. I feel their marriage could be in 1706 in Milverton, mistranscribed as Abraham and Margarett Strang. This couple are possibly the parents of my Anthony who died in 1757, married in 1725, but no baptism found.
There are also early burials for William Pring in 1682 and Grace wife of William in 1705.
It appears that the Prings were tradesmen. In 1699 John was a serge weaver, in 1800 William a shoe maker, in 1815 Thomas, a carpenter and William, a mason. There were also a number of labourers. In the census I noted that Amy’s eldest brother, Thomas, was a carpenter. I also saw on an Ancestry record, that in 1708 in Devon that an Anthony Pring was an apprentice of Roger Huggins, hellier.
I know possibly the records have not survived, but would appreciate any suggestions as to where I could look now. Is there anywhere online I can view the microfilm copies of the Milverton registers, or do I need to visit the Taunton RO. The same goes for Devon records .. the family appears to be around Uffculme and Awilscombe from Roots Web chat.
Sadly I read where lots of wills for Devon and Somerset were destroyed when Exeter was bombed in World War II. Many thanks for suggestions. Julie

kiterunner
21-05-13, 10:42
It looks as though you would be able to order the microfilms of the Milverton PR's and BT's to your nearest FamilySearch Centre, Julie:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/381121
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/610674

kiterunner
21-05-13, 10:45
Also you can buy microfiche copies from Somerset Archives:
http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 10:55
Oh buying them would be wonderful. Our library has two great microfilm readers. So many of my mother's family are from Milverton. They have been transcribed and are online but sometimes knowing who you are looking for makes a difference. I know someone who looked for my Sloman's in Devon said that. Thank you Kate. Julie

kiterunner
21-05-13, 12:33
Oh buying them would be wonderful. Our library has two great microfilm readers. So many of my mother's family are from Milverton. They have been transcribed and are online but sometimes knowing who you are looking for makes a difference. I know someone who looked for my Sloman's in Devon said that. Thank you Kate. Julie

I think the Somerset archives only sell them on microfiche, not microfilm. :(

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 14:20
Thanks Kate.
I found Phillimores Devon Marriages Register Book of 7 parishes is free to view online and one of the parishes is Uffculme 1538-1837 (9 volumes - 1 missing 1753-1783). From 1539 to 1650 there were 14 marriages of Pringe and 1 of Prynge. From 1665 the name was spelt Pring, 24 marriages to 1835. John Pring of Stoke Damerel, 4th Battalion Artillery & Martha Gillard in 1790 and James Pring of Bradford Somerset, yeoman & Letitia Brice lic in 1815 were two I noted. Can't make any connections yet, but one day lol

Shona
21-05-13, 14:23
Thanks Kate.
I found Phillimores Devon Marriages Register Book of 7 parishes is free to view online and one of the parishes is Uffculme 1538-1837 (9 volumes - 1 missing 1753-1783). From 1539 to 1650 there were 14 marriages of Pringe and 1 of Prynge. From 1665 the name was spelt Pring, 24 marriages to 1835. John Pring of Stoke Damerel, 4th Battalion Artillery & Martha Gillard in 1790 and James Pring of Bradford Somerset, yeoman & Letitia Brice lic in 1815 were two I noted. Can't make any connections yet, but one day lol

Stoke Damerel is in Plymouth.

Shona
21-05-13, 14:27
Is this what you were searching?

http://archive.org/stream/devonshireparish01phil/devonshireparish01phil_djvu.txt

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 14:29
Love Plymouth .. it would have been the last place in UK that many of my ancestors would have seen ..
I visited there in 2009 and was very moved.
I Love the image of playing bowls! when the Spanish Armada came into view from the Barbican? .. (If my memory is correct) Julie

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 14:48
A bit of Pringingenalia

FROM THE MUSEUM OF ENGLISH RURAL LIFE

Devon 'ship' Wagon

Built at Upton near Cullompton, Devon, c.1850,
and used by the Pring family who brought it to Easthampstead, Berkshire.

ElizabethHerts
21-05-13, 15:06
Julie, Upton is just 5 miles from Honiton where I grew up, and of course my parents' practice was all around there. My brother was a school at Broadhembury for a while, just a stone's throw away.

Awliscombe is only just outside Honiton, and is pronounced "Arlescum" by the locals, with a nice drawl on the vowels! We used to go to the pub there with my mum and have a very good dinner!

We were down there a few weeks back planting the memorial tree for Mum - we'll be back in the summer, if you want any photos or look-ups.

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 15:09
Shona that is a different version. I find them very hard to read because the names and the dates are not together. The book I saw was very easy to read. I will see if I can find it again. Julie
I googled Uffculme Parish records - clicked on Genuki, then church records, then Phillimore, then full text highlighted - then on left view book flashing - Read online. Parishes were Ipplepen, Kingskerswell, Werrington, Countisbury, Trentishoe, Martinhoe, and Uffculme.

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 15:10
Liza Oh I wish I was just down the road .. and could hop in the car for a few hours drive .. Are you at home? Julie

Shona
21-05-13, 15:16
Love Plymouth .. it would have been the last place in UK that many of my ancestors would have seen ..
I visited there in 2009 and was very moved.
I Love the image of playing bowls! when the Spanish Armada came into view from the Barbican? .. (If my memory is correct) Julie

My mum lives in Plymouth, so I know it well - lovely place.

But the bowls story is based on a misunderstanding.

The English had been expecting the Spanish for some time. The news that the Spanish had been sighted off the Isles of Scilly was delivered by Captain Fleming when he docked in Plymouth on 29 July 1588. Whether this news was delivered to Drake is disputed, as he was second in command of the fleet. The news that the Armada were on their way was more likely given to Lord Howard - first in command.

Drake did like to play a game of 'Devon boules', but this was a pub skittles game - not the one played on an open green!

Drake and Howard were experienced mariners and knew that they couldn't leave Devonport - the tides in the Sound and the Tamar were against them. They would have to wait for a favourable tide.

So there would be plenty of time to stay in the pub, polish off a tankard of ale and finish a game of skittles.

ElizabethHerts
21-05-13, 15:17
Yes, Julie, we have been home about half an hour!
It's very cool here compared to Italy, unfortunately.

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 15:22
Well there was a little truth in there lol .. like all good stories ..
When I get enough breath one day soon, I will post about my Smith coachman of Kent ancestor, who I have uncovered a possible truth about .. only possible lol Julie

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 15:24
Italy sounds a dream .. I have the air con and gas heater on and 2 cranky cats who think as it is nearly 1.30 in the morning, we all should be in bed. Talk later. Julie

ElizabethHerts
21-05-13, 15:25
We've put the heating on just for a while as the house feels very cold.
Keep warm, Julie.

Durham Lady
21-05-13, 15:58
Stoke Damerel was a large Army base, it's where we found our naughty Adlena Anna Maria, supposedly the wife of a Scottish soldier but there's no marriage. She had a child by him but she later married another soldier and gave birth to her second child 8 days later LOL

Shona
21-05-13, 17:26
Stoke Damerel was a large Army base, it's where we found our naughty Adlena Anna Maria, supposedly the wife of a Scottish soldier but there's no marriage. She had a child by him but she later married another soldier and gave birth to her second child 8 days later LOL

I went to Stoke Damerel school - a huge three-storey block of granite and limestone. There was no outdoor space - we had games on the flat roof!

During the World War 1 it was turned into a military hospital.

Asa
21-05-13, 19:36
I knew a Miss Pring whose father came from Awliscombe I think :-)

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-13, 21:45
It is such a small world. Thanks everyone for memories past and present .. brings us all so much closer .....
.............ponders if our ancestors were friends or enemies lol .. Julie