PDA

View Full Version : Rootsweb Message boards

JBee
18-05-13, 12:16
I've signed up to get the digest of two place name forums on rootsweb.com
which I get and now I can't find the actual message boards to look at or add to.

They are Sunderland, Co. Durham and
Berwick on Tweed, Northumberland

What am I doing wrong? and can anyone help me find them.

Thanks

kiterunner
18-05-13, 12:17
Are they message boards or mailing lists?

JBee
18-05-13, 12:27
Kite - This is what is in today email but I don't know how to access the Today's topics which I assumed was the message board.

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Thomas Brough Goodchild (Mary Orton)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To contact the ENG-DUR-SUNDERLAND list administrator, send an email to
[email protected].

To post a message to the ENG-DUR-SUNDERLAND mailing list, send an email to [email protected].

__________________________________________________ ________
To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to [email protected]
with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the
email with no additional text.

kiterunner
18-05-13, 12:54
Is there an attachment on the email, Julie?

JBee
18-05-13, 13:39
I was just about to say there wasn't an attachment and just checked the Sunderland one and yes there is.

There isn't for Berwick on Tweed though.

I've copied the Sunderland attachment below

Hi Grahame,

I have Goodchild connections in my family tree. The parish burial record shows a Thomas Goodchild of similar age buried in September 1832 at St Leonard's, Hackney, Middlesex (now in North London). Thomas Brough Goodchild was married in 1793 in the City of London, so perhaps a search in London or Middlesex help.

Mary

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:27 AM
Subject: Re: [ENG-DUR-SUNDERLAND] Goodchild

Hi List

Many thanks for the helpful responses, especially the images - all of them add to my knowledge.

One of the key pieces of information I would like to gain, is whether Thomas Brough Goodchild (born 1768, Bishopwearmouth), said to be living in Bishopwearmouth in 1800, was alive after 1800; even his death date. I have checked Durham Online - nothing, checked this list's archives where there are some Goodchild messages some years ago, and looked at the Co Durham directories, such as for 1827, online. The Directories are hard to use as one directory had nearly 700 pages. Its possible that Thomas may be listed without his second given name.

Any help appreciated.

Grahame
Australia
:-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:

When replying, please SNIP extraneous text.

Be sure list mail is in PLAIN TEXT.

Buy or sell family research items on the GEN-MAT-UKI mailing list. No fees!

:-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
-------------------------------
To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to [email protected] with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

JBee
18-05-13, 13:57
Sorry got to go out - be back later

kiterunner
18-05-13, 14:09
Yes, so the messages are the attachments.

JBee
18-05-13, 17:30
Looks like it - but I was expecting to view all the messages on the message board like I do with other message boards I use on rootsweb.

Mary from Italy
18-05-13, 17:35
It's a mailing list, where you only receive and send messages via e-mail.

You can view the archives here:

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/ENG/ENG-DUR-SUNDERLAND.html

JBee
18-05-13, 17:48
Thanks Kite and Mary.

It's a shame it isn't a message board as it's easier to look through the threads and see if there's any of the twig lines that jump out.

Uncle John
18-05-13, 20:04
Mailing lists are a hangover from when comms was very slow and the world-wide web hadn't been invented. The equivalent was Compuserve forums and newsgroups.

JBee
19-05-13, 16:04
Thanks everyone - I just thought I'd lost the plot when I couldn't find the boards.