PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to ancestry?

kiterunner
08-05-13, 19:13
I went onto ancestry.com (i.e. the US site) to look at something and I saw an advert which said something along the lines of "Coming soon - a new look and feel to your search results." I don't know whether it was an old advert about the "new search" or if they are bringing in a new new one! I was in too much of a hurry to do my lookup so I didn't click on the advert, and now of course I can't get it to appear again. :rolleyes:

maggie_4_7
08-05-13, 19:17
Oh that doesn't bode well another enhancement to keep the web designers in work that will upset the users!

kiterunner
08-05-13, 19:19
I wouldn't be surprised if they revamped their search so it was more along the lines of the FamilySearch one and the findmypast international one, i.e. using JavaScript (I think it is, well something like that), so it's all new-fangled and modern and everything. But I don't really like that kind of thing myself.

Phoenix
08-05-13, 19:50
They have been telling me since Feb (I think) that this month they will change the way I add facts, and this will be permanent. On about the fifth of each month, they move the date forwards by a month.

I hate change so much, I have only just discovered that Discovery has been revamped to pick up the entries that were falling through the net.

Mary from Italy
08-05-13, 19:59
I wish they'd leave it alone - Ancestry has the best search interface of any of the major sites, in my opinion. FMP and Familysearch are both really irritating to use.

Phoenix
08-05-13, 20:08
I wish they'd leave it alone - Ancestry has the best search interface of any of the major sites, in my opinion. FMP and Familysearch are both really irritating to use.

It depends where you start from. I use the new search on Ancestry and find myself time & again having to find the info on fmp because Ancestry seems to ignore some of the search terms (if someone was born in London, it seems to list all the London residents before condescending to suggest the county you have searched on) And you can't sort the retreived data, or skip five pages of results etc etc etc.

Merry
08-05-13, 21:52
Any particular reason you use the new search, Phoenix?

kiterunner
Can't you switch back to the old search, Phoenix? Or is it the library edition, which I don't think lets you?

Olde Crone
Aside - familysearch has gone quite mad, in my opinion.

On another forum, a few of us searched in vain for a known event, using all/none of the known (and correct) facts. Eventually we found it by using one name only and no other criteria at all - up it popped! Most unhelpful if you are looking for a marriage, say, which you KNOW took place in England.

OC

Rick
08-05-13, 22:08
Ancestry made me feel like I was the only person in the world using old search when I logged a few bugs with them. Glad to see some allies on here !

I guess they are spending lots on new data sources to keep ahead of the competition and the user interface comes second.

Mary from Italy
09-05-13, 01:40
The new search on Ancestry is totally useless - I tried it once and never went back to it again.

Sue from Southend
09-05-13, 07:39
Perhaps it's referring to the new "interactive" original images that they've been trialling. I did try it out and quite liked it. But I agree with the majority about the new search - not much cop!!

kiterunner
09-05-13, 07:55
No, it definitely said something about the list of search results.

kiterunner
09-05-13, 07:56
Managed to get it again; hopefully this link will take you to it.

http://ancestry.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_06qg4KDd0fAaCZD

kiterunner
09-05-13, 08:31
So it looks as though it is just a tidy-up of the page layout for the "new search" rather than anything drastic. Phew!

Asa
09-05-13, 10:01
I still use the old search and dread any changes. As people have said, Ancestry is by far the best search engine and I often use FS to find records on FMP first because that has such narrow search options.

It was suggested on twitter to Ancestry that they give us details of updated records which they acknowledged so it might be worth giving them feedback on there or Facebook although I'm sure I've given feedback on the site itself about New Search

Edit - sorry, only read the first page of this before replying

JessBow
13-05-13, 07:55
Remind me how to switch back to the 'old search' please

kiterunner
13-05-13, 07:59
Go onto the home page and click on the Search tab at the top, then there should be a "Go to old search" link in the top right-hand corner of the screen.

JBee
13-05-13, 08:36
It's been driving me mad lately - whatever area I want to search it still keeps giving me the US - even though I removed the US connection to someone (awaiting certificates to be absolutely sure).

I saw that it was changing the way census etc are viewed - comes in at the end of the month.

Hopefully the old search will still be there as when a member here found a census for me it wouldn't come up until I went back to the old search and put the reference in!!!!