PDA

View Full Version : Meturatied ??

garstonite
06-05-13, 21:12
Can someone advise me please - researching in Liverpool and came across this
Birth place Meturatied ....is this a place ? if so - anyone tell me where it is please
Christina Egner, wife - aged 21 in Liverpool 1861 census
going to google meturatied now
thanks
allan

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M7GL-4RC

added - nothing for Meturatied on Google - I am baffled

Phoenix
06-05-13, 21:19
Sadly, birthplace is Germany: she is a NATURALISED British Subject

garstonite
06-05-13, 21:36
Sadly, birthplace is Germany: she is a NATURALISED British Subject

HA HA funny that ...OK thanks Phoenix ...us scousers can`t zpell ;...lol:d
cheers
allan

JessBow
07-05-13, 05:35
Is her husband of German origin too

Cri[s_]sina Drescher Jan-Feb-Mar 1861 Liverpool Lancashire
Friedrich Egner Jan-Feb-Mar 1861 Liverpool Lancashire

Shona
07-05-13, 09:30
Curses!

Did a long reply on this, but it vanished.

Summary: Frederich and Christina living in Scotland Road. 1861: He is a pork butcher. All the household were born in Germany. Other surnames in be house - Bier, Schurly, Leiper. They may have then returned to Germany, as in the 1891 census, son Charles, 23, merchant's clerk, is also a naturalised British subject. The family, along with a German servant named Lena Horning, lived in Broad Green Road, Liverpool West Derby. Still at the same address in 1901. Frederich is John F Egner, retired pork butcher. Charles is a butcher. They have yet another German-born servant - Annue Kimmich.

John Frederick Egner, gentleman, died on 20 May 1902. Effects: £14, 080 14s 11d. Christina died on 22 Feb 1994. Effects: £1,003 8s 6d. Resworn nil. Only son Charles died on the Isle of Mann in 1917 (could he have been detained in one if the prison camps because of his German birth?). He was described as a gentleman. Effects: £7,354. 13s.

garstonite
07-05-13, 21:15
Thank you for your replies - Christina Enger - father Henry Enger was my research ...marriage details ...I have sorted it out now ..looks like a possible name change to AGNEW ......
Shona ...maybe the German WW1 internment made them change the name from Enger to Agnew ??...looks that way - but no definite proof ...anyway - all sorted now
thank you all:)
cheers
allan

tenterfieldjulie
08-05-13, 01:59
If the Royal Family can change from Battenburg to Mountbatten .. then Enger to Agnew seems logical. We had a local family who didn't change their name, but the pronunciation .. Koch was still Koch, but pronounced Cook!!

Phoenix
08-05-13, 18:44
Ditto my Gerholds - through my childhood it was Gerrald, now it sometimes is Ger-hold again.

Shona
09-05-13, 16:55
Allan,

Earlier today, Kiterunnner posted a link to Naturalisation Papers held at The National Archives, which are now searchable.

As I don't have any naturalised British subjects in my tree, I thought I'd test the database by searching for your Egners. This is what came up:

Naturalisation Papers:
Egner, Friedrich, from Wurtemburg. Certificate 4084 issued 22 May 1863.

There are eight pages in total and it costs £3.36 to view.

When I was looking on Family Search, I did notice quite a lot of Egners came from Wurtemburg.

The only Drescher record is the following:

Naturalisation Papers:
Drescher, Pius, from Baden. Certificate 982 issued 23 May 1848.

However, I can see a way to search on surname variants.