PDA

View Full Version : William Poling & Ann

Phoenix
05-05-13, 18:12
William Poling was bp 25 Nov 1721, Petersfield, son of Thomas and Mary.

He was apprenticed to John Gillmar of Catherington, blacksmith, in 1736.

I can find no trace of his marriage to Ann, nor of his burial. (I had an idea that I found it in Catherington, but if I did, I've lost it again!)

Their three sons were baptised in Petersfield from 1747.

In 1784 a William & Ann Poling were removed from Petersfield to Portsea. It's possible that William worked in Portsea, doing enough to gain a settlement, and had more children there.

The name can be spelled as Pulling, Powling, Poulden etc.

Shona
05-05-13, 19:03
There is a William Poling in the 1806 Poll Book for Portsmouth.

I also saw a marriage for a William Poling and Elizabeth Hoare in Catherington on 19 Jan 1717. An uncle and aunt?

Phoenix
05-05-13, 19:35
William's granddaughter Eleanor decamps to Portsmouth, along with several of her sisters and half sisters in the early 1800s. There are already indigenous Pulling/Polling/Poulden families there but the parish records are so sparse and enemy action destroyed other potential sources, so it is difficult put them into relationships.

None of the Polings appear to marry, but they are so close to the Sussex border that I may simply be missing possible links.

William Poling's uncle William appears to have married a Mary, but that could have been a second marriage and you've found the first. Thank you for that!