Date and place of birth
1774, possibly Castlemans, Seddlescomb Sussex

Names of parents
Robert and Elizabeth Mosley

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
22 Jun 1744, St John the Baptist, Seddlescomb, Sussex

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
married Ann Banker abt 1770-71, Seddlescomb Sussex

Occupation(s) - if any - possibly a tanner, as this was two sons occupation listed on their childrens baptisms

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Crowham or Crossham Manor, between Seddlescomb(e) and Westfield Sussex

Date, place and cause of death
Date and place of burial.
24 Feb 1798, St John the Baptist, Westfield Sussex

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Sunny Kate
29-04-13, 09:27
What a co-incidence Di!
Robert Mosley/ Mosely is also my 5th great-grandfather but I don't have any new information to add to what you have.
I'm descended from his son Spencer who married Elizabeth Ades at Brede, Sussex in 1810.

Sussex Maid
29-04-13, 20:28
Sussex Marriages CD has the following
Northiam, East Sussex
7 Nov 1768
Robert Mosely 'of Seddlescombe' to Ann Baker by license.
Plus possible for the parents? -
Sedlescombe, East Sussex
9 Apr 1743
Robert Moseley to Mrs Elizabeth Hyland (otp)

marquette
29-04-13, 21:39
Hi Kate

Then you must be a cousin of my OH. Robert is his 5GGF, through his daughter Ann to married Moses Ades, then to Charlotte who married Thomas Taylor. So you will doubly related to OH - on both Mosley and Ades sides !

Thank you for the marriage dates, and that Ann was Baker not Banker. I had come to that conclusion, as did not get any results with Banker searches.

That married of Robert to Elizabeth Hyland makes sense - there are Hylands scattered through the Mosley/Ades tree.

Will be off to search for Elizabeth Hyland and see how she fits into the rest of the tree.

There is at least one website on the Ades family, from where I gleaned lots of information, but now I am following up the vague dates there with the Sussex FHS database.

I have only just started following up and down the Mosley lines

Cheers

Di

Sunny Kate
02-05-13, 04:04
Di, it's fascinating to see all the various Ades/ Mosley connections. The Ades mob were very prolific and there must be many thousands appearing on a full Ades tree. With the repetition of some names it's also all very confusing!

Years ago I was sent a modified Ades register which follows the line from Thomas Ades bn. 1732, died 1811 and who was the father of my Ades ancestor Elizabeth. Sarah Hyland appears on it as Thomas's second wife and the only information I have about her is she was born in Sedlescombe in 1767 , married Thomas on 30 March 1793 at Battle and died 12 December 1843 at Brede. The death is from the gravestone at Sedlescombe church.
Moses Ades doesn't appear on my register.
If Moses is descended from Thomas Ades bn 1732 I have a copy of Thomas's will and a few other bits and pieces you might be interested in.

In regards to the Mosley children I have only names. Ann Elizabeth bn 1812 married a John Nash?, my Charlotte bn 1813, married Thomas Shorter bn. Mountfield Sussex in 1800 then there were Maria bn. 1814, Harriet bn 1815, Caroline bn 1815 and Mary bn 1821.
Charlotte and Thomas Shorter's eldest daughter Selina was my 2 x great grandmother who emigrated to NSW in 1857 with her sister Bertha.

I noticed that Thomas Ades bn 1643 at Brede married an Elizabeth Baker on 9 Aug 1670 at Brede - wonder if there was a connection with Ann Baker's family from back then and was Sarah Hyland connected with the Elizabeth Hyland who married Robert Mosley snr?? All interesting puzzles!

marquette
02-05-13, 06:30
I probably have the same modified register, that was sent to me too years ago !

It IS an interesting puzzle indeed. I can add more to the tangle too.

Moses Ades father was Edward Ades (b 1740) who was a brother of Thomas (b 1732).
Charlotte Ades m Thomas Taylor (of Cranbrook Kent)
daughter Mary Taylor m Edward Tanner (of Speldhurst Kent) - they came to Sydney.

Edmund Tanner m Ada Sanderson, whose mother Ellen Sheather was born in Brede, also.

There is a large family of Sheathers around Brede and Udimore, but the only other link with the Mosley/Ades clan is two Ticehurst brides who might be related. At least 3 of the Sheathers (two brothers and a cousin) brought about 25 chilldren to Aus and settled in various parts of NSW, from Camden to Albury, Gundagai and Nangus to Taree and Port Macquarie.

I would love a copy of Thomas' will and anything else of interest. I will send you some printouts from my datbase on the Ades and Mosley families. My email add is [email protected]

I would imagine that the Hylands ladies, as well as the Bakers are related, but its hard to find their baptisms when you go back that far !

Di