PDA

View Full Version : George Carstairs

Shona
26-04-13, 11:56
Name - "official" name and what they were known as:
George Carstairs

Date and place of birth:
c1779, Fife
Estimated from OPR entry re death. 1841 census says he was born in county.

Names of parents:
Not found

Date and place of baptism - if applicable:
Not found

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any:
26 May 1802, Canongate, Edinburgh

'George Carstairs labourer & Mary Bavridge daughter of Jas Bavridge shore master St David's gave up their names for marriage.
David Wright mason Canongate'

Occupation(s) - if any:
Labouer and possibly ploughman

Addresses where they lived:

1802 - Married in Edinburgh
1812-1822 - birth of children in Aberdour, Fife
1841 - Wester Village North Side, Aberdour, Fife
1849 - Aberdour West

Date, place and cause of death:
24 December 1849
'George Carstairs, Aberdour West, age 70, labourer'

Date and place of burial:
Buried on 27 December 1849

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable:
Not known, but unlikely

Memorial inscription - if any:
Haven't yet researched this

Shona
26-04-13, 12:15
Found this on FS:

George Carstairs, born 28 September 1780, baptised 3 October, Carnbee, Fife. Parents - George Carstairs and Katherine Graham.

George and his wife Mary Beveridge had children named George and Catherine. Also one daughter was named Marian Gray Carstairs. Not too big a leap to get from Graham to Gray.

There are a couple of other George Carstairs born in Fife at about the right time, too.

Shona
26-04-13, 12:31
George Carstairs and Katherine/Catherine Graham in Carnbee had a son named Arthur in 1774.

My George named one of his sons Arthur, too. Not conclusive, but you don't get many Arthurs lurking around Fife.

George Carstairs and Katherine Graham are looking good as the parents of George Carstairs.

Do others agree?

kiterunner
26-04-13, 12:52
Yes, looks pretty likely.

Shona
26-04-13, 14:11
Thanks, Kite.

I haven't been able to find any deaths which fit in Carnbee parish. However, I found a death of an Arthur Carstairs - 29 September 1841, age 67 - at Barnyards, Kilconqhuar, Fife.

Checking Kilconqhuar parish, there's a death for a George Carstairs on 11 December 1821 who was buried on 13 December 1821. Abode: Barnyards, Kilconquhar.

My George had a son named George who married a Sophia - they named a son Arthur. My George also had a daughter named Janet, who named one of her daughters, Sophia.

Shona
26-04-13, 14:20
Blimey!

I'd assumed that the George's daughter, Marian Gray Carstairs, (b 1822) was a corruption of Graham - George's mum's maiden name.

Now I've found this...

'Arthure son of Arthure Carstaires and Katherin Gray baptised on 30 August 1685.'