PDA

View Full Version : William Rolfe & Mary Eltham

Asa
20-04-13, 06:02
William Rolfe & Mary Eltham were married 6th May 1790 Aldermaston, Berkshire and both of the parish.

William was born c1766 and was buried at Aldermaston 22 May 1826 aged 60. He was described as a labourer on his son's marriage certificate of 1839 and his widow's death certificate. I don't know where he came from - there are online trees attaching him to famillies from Baughurst in Hampshire but I haven't seen any evidence of this. There were a lot of Rolfes in Newbury where some of his children ended up living and it's possible he's one of this family.

Mary was living on her own in Aldermaston in 1841 aged 77 and born in Berkshire - so born c1764. She died in Burghfield, Berkshire (where her youngest son lived) 4th April 1847 aged 83 of old age. She was buried a week later at Aldermaston. Given that she was born c1764 Berkshire, there seems to be only one candidate which is Mary Elton baptised at Steventon, Berkshire in 1767 daughter of Richard and Betty but I've never been confident enough to accept it. Mary's third son was Richard and second daughter Elizabeth so it seems very possible.

William and Mary had 6 daughters and 5 sons. One son died in childhood and four daughters have vanished into the ether.