PDA

View Full Version : Amos Ayshford OH’s FMMFFFF

Langley Vale Sue
19-04-13, 13:36
Name - "official" name and what they were known as – Amos Ayshford

Date and place of birth – about 1725, Burlescombe, Devon

Names of parents – probably Henry & Ann (nee Loney) Ayshford

Date and place of baptism - unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages – to Elizabeth Holly on 29 Dec 1749 at Burlescombe, Devon

Occupation(s) - unknown

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Born and died in Burlescombe, Devon and both known children born/baptised there in 1750 & 1752

Date, place and cause of death – 1764, Burlescombe, Devon

Date and place of burial – 17 Feb 1764, Burlescombe, Devon

Details of will / administration of their estate - unknown

Memorial inscription – unknown

Son
Henry Ayshford (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12713&highlight=ayshford)

Shona
19-04-13, 16:29
Sue, I've been going through my Burlescombe and North Petherton notes trying to sort out the Haines and Nash families for this week's challenge. The following may be of use to you at some point.

Protestant Oath of Allegiance 1641/42

Burlescombe

Arthur Aishford, Esq
Henry Aishford, Esq JP
John Aishford, Gent
Nicolas Aishford Gent
Thomas Aishford, Gent

There are several monuments and memorials in St Mary's church, Burlescombe, which mention the Aishford/Ayshford family.

From White's Directory 1850

Burlescombe, Ayshford and Westleigh manors used to belong to the Claville and Ayshford families. They are currently held by Edward Ayshford Sanford Esq.

Shona
19-04-13, 16:35
Ooh - this is intruiging.

Have you checked this website - it's all about the Ayshfords of Ayshford - there is mention of an Amos. Loads of info, including some family trees. I noticed the Kerslake family are linked in to the Ayshfords - I've got Kerslakes in my tree in those parishes, too!

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ayshford/Amos%20The%20Mystery.html

Langley Vale Sue
19-04-13, 18:55
Oooh thanks Shona.
I think another trip to Devon is called for, especially Burlescombe. :)

I have seen that website, thank you. My husband's 2nd cousin paid a professional researcher (:eek:) and he discovered this website - about the only thing he did get right! I have inherited all this research and am now trying to sort the wheat from the chaff - so to speak. ;)