PDA

View Full Version : Heir Hunters question.

Olde Crone
15-04-13, 22:19
I've been watching this programme for years, but the following has only just occurred to me, lol.

I understand the principles behind administering an intestate estate, but what do they do with the stuff like photo albums or gold watches engraved with someone's name and that sort of stuff? Does it all get disposed of and turned into cash, or does someone go through it and decide what might be of interest to the eventual heirs?

OC

Shona
16-04-13, 08:01
Good question, OC. I checked the web site of Fraser and Fraser, the firm on HH, and this is what it says:

In most cases the personal possessions of the deceased are liquidated to enable an equal and legal distribution from the estate. In some cases it may be possible for you and other beneficiaries to buy specific items, such as jewellery, at market value, or if the item has no value for you to have it. If you would like something from the deceased's estate it is best to contact the administering solicitors as early as possible.

Olde Crone
16-04-13, 10:32
Thanks Shona, that half answers the question I suppose, although what about estates which have laid unclaimed for many years? I expect they would only keep what would fit into a shoe box!

OC

Shona
16-04-13, 10:58
This is from the Treasury Solicitor's website.

Small Estates

When an estate consists only of cash of £500 or less, you can keep the money and don't have to refer the case to us.

When an estate consists of a cash residue of over £500 but under £2,000, you should refer the case and send the money to us at the same time.

In all these small cases, we would assume that you're not aware of any entitled relatives and that the deceased died without a Will. In all cases we will need to have at least the following information:
• the deceased's full name and marital status;
• the actual date and place of their death (and, if this a residential home or hostel, the date of the deceased's admission and their last private address if admission was recent); and
• if the deceased died at or had recently occupied a private address, confirmation that the tenancy has been terminated, that no rent is due and that furniture and belongings have been disposed of.

If there are personal belongings that you don't think have any saleable value, you can dispose of them as you wish. If you believe that some of them (usually jewellery) may have value, you can arrange to sell them through a local firm of reputable auctioneers.

If an estate has a net cash value of £500 and belongings that appear to be saleable, these should be sold and if the net estate then exceeds £500, you should refer the case to us.

How to refer a case to us:

You can refer a case to us using the online Deceased Person's Notification Form (Form BV1A) which you'll find on our website at Deceased persons notification form or you can print a hard copy from our Estates Guidelines Section or telephone us for a copy on 020 7210 4700.

When you're sending papers and valuables to us, please follow the procedures below. Thank you.
1. All documents of value such as Title Deeds and Share Certificates should be scheduled and sent by Recorded Delivery.
2. Credit/debit and store cards should be cut before you send them, to avoid fraud.
3. All bank or building society passbooks should be scheduled and sent by Recorded Delivery.
4. Please don't send cash through the post.
5. Please make cheques payable to The Treasury Solicitor, and write the case reference and name of the deceased on the back.
6. Please keep jewellery somewhere safe until we send you instructions on how to dispose of it.

My relative died 10 years ago; can I still claim a share of their estate?

Yes, an action to claim an estate is barred under the provisions of the Limitation Act 1980, after 12 years from the date of death. Interest will be paid, therefore, if a claim is received (but not necessarily processed) during the 12 year period.

If we have completed the administration of the estate, we will send you an estate account once we have received a copy of your Grant of Letters of Administration to the estate.

Please check the account carefully before you approve and sign it. Once you have signed the account, you have agreed to what we have done.

If a claim is received after the end of the 12 year period but within 30 years of the date of death, we will be prepared to account for the residue as a matter of discretion but only on the understanding that we will not pay interest on this amount.

If a claim is received after 30 years have elapsed, we will decline to consider it.

Olde Crone
16-04-13, 21:43
Ah, thankyou Shona, that explains it. I shall sleep easy tonight!

OC