PDA

View Full Version : So excited!

Shona
13-04-13, 11:58
For the past few days, I've been attempting to sort out my McLean-McCallum branch. A private tree on Ancestry looked interesting, so I sent a message to the owner.

Well, what a generous person the tree owner has turned out to be.

She has given me access to her tree. On the first OPR record I viewed, not only was there our shared ancestors' marriage, but three other entries for another of my branches. There are lots more OPR images to look at, too.

The tree owner has been able to gather a tremendous amount of info from the archives in Edinburgh, which she is happy to share with me - including all the people who visited our shared ancestor, John McLean, when he was in Campbeltown tollbooth (prison).

Making contact with someone who is obviously passionate about genealogy, but also thorough in her research and generous in wanting to share what she has discovered is so exciting. I'm like a wee kiddie at Christmas.

Hopefully, I'll be able to fill in some gaps for her by way of thanks.

tenterfieldjulie
13-04-13, 12:05
Wonderful news Shona. So pleased for you. Knowing how generous you are with your time helping others, it is really lovely to know that someone is helping you. It might be genetic lol.. Great news. Julie

Olde Crone
13-04-13, 12:37
Isn't it wonderful when you come across someone who is as INTERESTED in the details as you are!

I found a 13 year old message (!) by googling. The lady still had the same email addy and it turned out we shared 3 x GGPs. We each had half the story - I didn't know about the second wife, she didn't know about the first, so together we made a wonderfully full picture.

Incidentally, she had copied a spelling mistake in the place name. I googled that spelling mistake more or less as an afterthought, otherwise I would never have found her.

OC

kiterunner
13-04-13, 13:11
That's great news, Shona. Did she have any info on Marion McCallum?

Asa
13-04-13, 13:38
Shona, that's brilliant and she is bound to be delighted to share her information with someone whom is as passionate about it as her.

Shona
13-04-13, 15:35
That's great news, Shona. Did she have any info on Marion McCallum?

Some - on 19 April 1853, Marion visited her son who was (once again) in Campbeltown prison - she was recorded as being 90 years of age. Will revisit the thread on Mirren/Marion McCallum to see how this fits in with the death of Mary McCallum in 1857.

Kit
15-04-13, 08:19
Fantastic Shona. :)

ElizabethHerts
15-04-13, 21:28
I'm very chuffed for you, Shona. It's great when someone is generous with their research, especially when it has been meticulously done.

Nell
18-04-13, 11:52
Shona

It's lovely to share your research with someone who appreciates it, I hope you both have a rewarding time!