PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction

Zoemcdougall
12-04-13, 11:00
How would I go about finding out whether a family story is fact or fiction. It has long been said in my family that my Great grandmother Evelyn Augusta Jones new Brotherton sang in the Royal Albert Hall. Also her husband Edward Owen Jones

tenterfieldjulie
12-04-13, 11:05
You might find them under Royal Albert Hall - History and Archives Zoe. I suppose it will depend whether they sang as individuals or as part of a group. You would need to work out the timeline for when they would possibly have appeared. Good luck.. Julie

Zoemcdougall
12-04-13, 11:54
Thankyou Julie, The only thing I can go by regards to dates for Evelyn at least is between 1876 & 1901. As the family story goes that her imparticular sang in front of Queen Victoria. I think this is fantasy but I do remember her own son my grandfather saying this. (appologises in advance if I take a while to any replies I may get, Hospital visit, Had an epilepic fit over Easter on my birthday!) will be back later.

tenterfieldjulie
12-04-13, 12:28
Look after yourself Zoe. I hope your meds work for you. Julie

kiterunner
12-04-13, 13:00
You could try looking in the British Newspaper Archive:
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Zoemcdougall
12-04-13, 15:24
Thankyou for your replies Julie & Kate.

Zoemcdougall
16-04-13, 08:17
Kate,

I have had a look at the the link you gave me, what criteria should I put in to help me find what I am looking for.

kiterunner
16-04-13, 08:59
Good question! Unfortunately I don't really know without more information! If she was in a choir then it would likely not have her name, just the name of the choir.

Zoemcdougall
16-04-13, 09:03
The family story is that she sang on her own & also with her husband Edward Owen Jones.

kiterunner
16-04-13, 09:19
I would go on the Advanced Search and put Albert Hall as the exact phrase and then one or both of their names in the "All of these words" box, then search, then when the results come back, filter by date and see if any of the results look likely. But as you know, with a name like Jones, it is going to be difficult! You might be best to look for local papers in the area where they lived, rather than London papers.

Zoemcdougall
16-04-13, 09:29
Thankyou Kate, they lived in Llanasa.. but not sure what paper in North Wales that would be. I'm guessing the North Wales Chronicle?

kiterunner
16-04-13, 11:09
Yes, I think so.

kiterunner
17-04-13, 09:46
There is also the new free Welsh newspapers site but I don't have any searching tips for it! I've found it quite hard to use.

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

Zoemcdougall
17-04-13, 15:38
Thankyou once again Kate

Shona
17-04-13, 15:50
The Royal Albert Hall has an archive, but it's closed until next year. However, this link to the RAH has some links to other sites which may help.

http://www.royalalberthall.com/about/history-and-archives/archives.aspx

Zoemcdougall
17-04-13, 16:35
Thankyou Shona, will let you know how I get on. won't be in for a few days, going into hospital for an op tomorrow.

tenterfieldjulie
18-04-13, 00:12
Wishing you all the best tomorrow Zoe. Keeping you in my prayers. Hugs. Julie

Zoemcdougall
25-04-13, 12:06
Haven't been in for a while due to being.in hospital, Still looking for info, hoping one day I'll find what I'm looking for. I've contacted a cousin to see if he knew anything all he said was, he was told Edward & Evelyn sang at the RAH..