PDA

View Full Version : Frederick George Hanson born 1861 Denmark

tenterfieldjulie
07-04-13, 01:34
Frederick married Hannah Osborne 23 April 1886 at Raymond Terrace, NSW.
He died 26 September 1957 at Chatswood (Sydney) NSW aged 97 years. I found a Golden Wedding notice of Frederick and Hannah and photo on Trove. His grandson knows that his grandfather considered himself Danish. According to a tree Frederick was born in 1861 Fredeisdorf, Schieswig Hoststein, Denmark. Other googling says that he came to Australia in 1872. Fredeisdorf I think became part of Germany in 1866. It is one of those places that has been fought for and part of Denmark and Germany at different times and also called itself independent at one stage.
If anyone can find Frederick's entrance into Australia that would be wonderful although it is possible that he jumped ship.
Any advice on Danish records would also be appreciated.
All the information is either what has been found online or is anecdotal.
Should the next step be to contact Deutschman/Gleason - Ferguson/Kempf Ancestry tree owner? They had the full date for the marriage and I would imagine have the marriage certificate. I've never contacted a tree owner before and I'm not quite sure how to do it? Julie

Macbev
07-04-13, 05:29
Julie, there is a certificate of Naturalization for Frederick Hanson on Ancestry, which says (amongst other things) that he arrived on the 'Smyrna' in 1879. I have saved the image which I can send to you if you dont have an Ancestry sub: otherwise the link is http://search.ancestry.com/browse/view.aspx?dbid=1549&iid=30516_081746-00185&pid=5159&ssrc=&fn=Frederick&ln=Hanson&st=g

HarrysMum
07-04-13, 05:30
Hi Julie~~~~

All you do is click the "contact tree owner" bit and it brings up a message box.

Hanson/Hansen is a great name to research. My bestest childhood friend is/was a Hansen and there are a lot of them and even more Fredericks......lol

tenterfieldjulie
07-04-13, 05:47
Ooh how exciting .. naturalization papers .. I had forgotten about them .. I don't have a sub at the moment Bev, but I can aquire it from the library tomorrow if it is difficult for you to send .. I do have one ancestor who was naturalised, but his records were acquired back in the horse and buggy days .. well pre internet anyhow lol
I will see if I'm brave enough tomorrow to contact the person Lib .. I don't know how keen they will be if I don't have a sub .. I'll keep you posted. Many thanks. Julie

Macbev
07-04-13, 05:52
Not hard to send, julie....just PM an email addie

Macbev
07-04-13, 05:58
If this is your Frederick, there is a bit of a conundrum. He says he arrived in 1878 on the 'Smyrna'...which is a bit later than your original info. I have looked at the crew and passenger list for the Smyrna in that year(only one sailing, in August) and can't see a Hanson listed. Off to check 1872. Was your chap a railway fettler?

tenterfieldjulie
07-04-13, 06:37
I think it is him Bev.
Children born Waratah (Newcastle) in 1900 and 1902 - Naturalisation says he is of Hexham which is about 11 klms away. He moved around a lot according to children's births so I think he probably was on the railway.
His death cert doesn't gives parents names, but says he was 97 in 1957.. so birth around 1860, which ties in age 40 on naturalization 1901.
Native of Schleswig Holstein, and it was in Germany in 1901.
I'm wondering if he isn't listed on the Smyrna as a passenger .. he might have come as crew. It does say that he was 21 years in NSW in May 1901 .. so maybe he came into another state .. saying he came 1878 .. might have just miscounted years.
I found the ship register online, clicked on the name and it bought up the typed transcript. I think to be sure of the transcription, I will need to have a look at the library at the Archives reel of the original document and see if there might be some errors in transcription. Probably I won't be able to transcribe it any better, but sometimes when you are looking for something you can see it.

Macbev
07-04-13, 07:17
There is another entry on Ancestry...you probably won't want to claim this one...for Frederick Hanson b. abt 1860 in Denmark...but he is in Darlinghurst gaol in 1886 for theft. Nice piccie of the chap though, if you want to try for an ID :)

If interested, I can send you that image too.

tenterfieldjulie
07-04-13, 07:24
lol .. bil will love that .. please send the pic .. probably someone Lib is looking for lol
He was married April 1886 at Raymond Terrace .. so maybe not him .. love to tell bil he had a criminal ancestor lol
No maybe the other members of the family won't share my sense of humour .. well if convicts are Aussie royalty .. why not!!
Frederick and Hannah Osborne's Golden Wedding in Trove ..
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17328669?searchTerm=frederick%20hanson&searchLimits=

kiterunner
07-04-13, 09:29
If you're using the ancestry library edition then I don't think you can use it to contact people, sorry, Julie. I remember someone trying that before and it didn't work.

tenterfieldjulie
07-04-13, 09:32
Thanks Kate. I thought there might be a problem.