PDA

View Full Version : opinions on Origins.net please

Kit
05-04-13, 02:13
Does anyone use it? Is it any good and can I find the same information on ancestry or fmp?

Also what is the yearly sub price? The subscribe button is over the price on my screen. :(

ElizabethHerts
05-04-13, 07:58
I haven't used it much in the past, Toni, but it does have some very good collections. The last month or so I've been looking at Oxforshire wills.

You could try a 72 hour subscription package to see what you think.

ElizabethHerts
05-04-13, 08:00
I don't know what prices appear for you in Australia but here are some:

Origins Total Access
Best Value!
British Origins
National Wills Index
Irish Origins
72 Hours * £8.00
Monthly £10.50
Annual £55.00

British Origins & National Wills Index
British Origins
National Wills Index
72 Hours * £7.00
Monthly £9.50

Irish Origins
Irish Origins
72 Hours * £6.00
Monthly £9.50

Kit
05-04-13, 08:25
Thank Elizabeth. I might do a month as the price is not much different and I don't have to rush then.

kiterunner
05-04-13, 09:07
If you take out a month or annual sub it will automatically renew unless you cancel it, whereas the 72 hour one is a one-off. I always take out the 72 hour one and I always find I have done everything I wanted to long before the 72 hours are up. They do have stuff that you won't find anywhere else, but not very much stuff compared to ancestry or FMP. Their "National Wills Index" is nowhere near as comprehensive (yet) as you would think from the title, but if it includes the places and dates that you are after it is well worth a look. Basically have a good look at their list of databases and try their free searches before you subscribe, to make sure it is going to be worth it.

Edit - oh, and also bear in mind it is a bit cheaper if you just subscribe to British Origins, if you aren't interested in their Irish records.

JayG
05-04-13, 10:10
I've taken out 72 hours subs in the past. I took a years sub out last August when they offered it at a reduced cost, £44 instead of £55. I've mainly used it for the Yorkshire probate index and Yorkshire marriage bonds and allegations index.

As Kate says they have stuff that isn't available elsewhere online.

From what i've found the years sub has been worth it, sometimes when I had a 72 hour sub I felt like I was rushing to look things up in that time.

Nell
06-04-13, 09:55
I've used it with just 72 hour subs, but I'd done my homework first and knew which names to look for on which databases.

If I had only one choice it would be Ancestry, especially as the London collections allow you to see the original parish register images. Very useful for Londoners!