PDA

View Full Version : A good name for a woman:

Phoenix
27-03-13, 18:08
Bartlett Amy!

Bartlett seems to be in use as a girl's name in Dorset, and Amy is a genuine surname, but it is clearly puzzling the researchers!

Anyone else got some wierd ones?

ElizabethHerts
27-03-13, 18:48
I've got a Battey Parrott (male) in my tree! Battey was the surname of the lad's grandmother. I don't think he made it to adulthood, though.

Lindsay
27-03-13, 19:05
I've got a Gurney Edmonds (also didn't make it to adulthood).

And I'm particularly fond of Mills Fluce. I'm not sure how (or if) he fits in my tree, but I traced him because the name was so easy to follow.

Olde Crone
27-03-13, 21:47
*smirks modestly*

Fish Fish Fish.

OC

Phoenix
27-03-13, 22:24
*realises when she is beaten, & slinks off thread ;)*

marquette
27-03-13, 22:37
*smirks modestly*

Fish Fish Fish.

OC

Why ?

Someone's idea of funny ? cute ? punishing ?

Exton Cole (b1750), most often mistranscribed as Emma. Married Thomas Banton to become Exton Banton !

Cubitt Brazill (b1796) he's male, though

and

Farmborough Collis (b1726) disinherited by his father for wilful disobedience !

Di

Mary from Italy
27-03-13, 23:12
The one in my BiL's tree that always confuses transcribers is a man with the Christian name of Mister.

Mary from Italy
27-03-13, 23:14
And I've always been fond of Quita Day.

Langley Vale Sue
27-03-13, 23:56
Waster Sanborn!

Although I think he was actually Worster or Worcester! ;)

Jill
28-03-13, 05:57
Hopestill Roots (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12917&highlight=hopestill+roots) (my husband's 4x great grandmother) and on my side Steeprock Bannister and Quick Nutter.

Steeprock's father named another son Cicero, and another after the vicar of Trawden Thomas Craven Humfrey. It seems that the original Steeprock was a native American runner who ran a number of races and toured the UK when Hartley was a boy.

Olde Crone
29-03-13, 22:43
Oh, I mustn't forget Parnell Stubbs. Not a particularly strange name, but it entranced me appearing as it did in a sea of Marys, Annes, Janes and Sarahs. I was even more entranced when I discovered the name was used for about six hundred years, the first mention being of Pernuille Stubbs in the 1200s.

Di

Fish Fish Fish is what passes either for humour in 18th and 19th century Lancashire, or maybe it's just a sign of mental instability? There are many doubled up names (Holden Holden, Fish fish, Eccles Eccles, etc,) but only the one triple name of Fish Fish Fish.

OC

Shona
29-03-13, 23:59
OC, there is a Fish Fish in Lincolnshire, too. Would be grand if Fish Fish got together with one of the massed ranks of Haddocks, Codds and Dolphins that lurk around Grimsby.

Mary from Italy
30-03-13, 00:05
Or with one of my Fryers.

Tom Tom
30-03-13, 18:36
Wonderful and Faithful Bastow.

King Fisher (although known as William!).

marquette
01-04-13, 08:53
Di

Fish Fish Fish is what passes either for humour in 18th and 19th century Lancashire, or maybe it's just a sign of mental instability? There are many doubled up names (Holden Holden, Fish fish, Eccles Eccles, etc,) but only the one triple name of Fish Fish Fish.

OC

I suppose he might not have seemed SO unusual amongst all the others. I wonder if he had a nickname ?

I have heard of Eccles Eccles, somewhere along the way. Don't think there's related to Mums lot.

Nell
02-04-13, 10:51
Although I have some unusual first names and surnames in my and my ex's trees, I don't have any that combine two, though a distant auntie did marry someone called Napoleon Bonaparte Money!

Examples in our trees are Onesiphorous is a good first name and Cowmeadow a good second name. Both my sons are very glad I didn't start tracing the family tree until after they had been born and registered with ordinary names.

Nell
02-04-13, 10:53
However I do pity various females given names to live up to - Temperance, Comfort and my poor gt gt grandmother Honor, whose first baby was baptised 3 weeks after Honor's marriage in a register office (1852).

Shona
02-04-13, 11:34
However I do pity various females given names to live up to - Temperance, Comfort and my poor gt gt grandmother Honor, whose first baby was baptised 3 weeks after Honor's marriage in a register office (1852).

At least she wasn't named Chastity!

Mary from Italy
02-04-13, 12:51
I have a lady in my tree called Virtue, who was married on 7th April and had her first child sometime in the June quarter of the same year.

Len of the Chilterns
03-04-13, 15:17
My dad and several of his predecessors had Magnadge (Magenage vaiation) as their middle name. Never could find out where it originated but glad it stopped with his generation

Joy Dean
03-04-13, 20:44
Jolly Sadd. Suffolk

Macbev
04-04-13, 07:44
I'm quite fond of Waterloo Maude Glover in my tree

Michael
04-04-13, 10:52
The most unusual names I've come across haven't been in my tree, but since I've come here. Most Chinese people intending to have any sort of contact with the English-speaking world adopt an English name, for the sake of non-Chinese speakers who will invariably be unable to pronounce Chinese names. Some choose (or have their parents choose for them) what might be considered normal English names; others pick ones which are real names, but which went out of fashion in the UK the best part of a century ago (I don't think I've known an Ada, Arthur or Norman in the UK who was born after 1930, but I've taught all of them here). Still others choose names which, like the Puritan ones of Temperance, Virtue etc., may be rather hard to live up to: Handsome, Angel and Fairy; in the last category are those who opt for English words which wouldn't usually be considered names at all - Green, Leaf, Apple (fortunately those three aren't in the same class!), Circle, but the worst of the lot... Demon.

garstonite
04-04-13, 17:35
Meschach Howett burial 23rd june 1917 Burnley cemetery
aged 65
abode 10 master street
grave 14429
gender male

marquette
05-04-13, 06:03
Hi Michael

When we went to Beijing for the Olympics, our lovely Chinese tour guides had been asked to pick an English name and some were quite close to their real name, but the one I recall most was "Chocolate".

We have quite a few Chinese and Koreans at our high school and they usually pick an English name quite close to the pronunciation of their own name, or, as you have found, one of the really old or traditional English names.

Michael
05-04-13, 15:29
I have a two boys in one class who are inclined to mess about if allowed to sit together. Their names, I kid you not... Tom and Jerry.

HarrysMum
06-04-13, 02:42
Michael...we have a lot of Asians here in Oz and they often name their children something they think is "English".

Susan seems to be a common name for girls, yet hardly heard in the Aussie population now. Junior is a favourite for boys.

Strangely the Aboriginal names are often 'older' style ones as well. Lionel, Arthur, Norman, Roberta, Edna, etc.

Many yeras ago I was at a meeting and spoke to a 90 year old lady who had the name of India. I commented how much I liked it and she said she had three sisters, Storm, Fern and Summer. They all would have been in the 1800s.

Nell
06-04-13, 09:42
I have a friend called Mary, who was born in Hong Kong. Mary is her adopted name, her real name translates as "Lovely Apple".

Shona
06-04-13, 15:15
Meanwhile back in Scotland, I've just found an 18th-century Jelly.

Michael
06-04-13, 15:21
Meanwhile back in Scotland, I've just found an 18th-century Jelly.

Male or female? In the latter case I was just imagining a marriage between yours and OC's resulting in Jelly Fish.

Shona
06-04-13, 15:46
Oh yes! Jelly is a lassie.

The name can appear as Giles - a Gaelic form if Julia.

crawfie
13-04-13, 22:05
I've just come across a Wilmoth Mann marrying Fay Ward. Wilmoth is the wife and Fay the husband.

Shona
14-04-13, 14:47
Now this is a new one on me for a Scottish lassie - Dugalina. Wee Douglina never made it to adulthood, though.

Olde Crone
14-04-13, 21:39
LOL, I remember a tremendous thread on GR (I think) where we all set about looking for someone called Stuart something and couldn't find him. The OP came back in high dudgeon and said that everyone knows that STUART is a female name!

OC

Nell
18-04-13, 11:49
Crawfie

There's a Barbara Pym novel where the heroine is called Willmot.

tenterfieldjulie
18-04-13, 12:11
Ooh one of my best friend's surname it Wilmott .. I will tell her that tomorrow .. she will be chuffed... Julie

kiterunner
21-04-13, 18:16
This is nothing to do with my tree but I just came across him when doing some transcribing - Nutcombe Quick(e), who changed his name by Act of Parliament to Nutcombe Nutcombe. (It seems to have been one of those cases where he had to change his surname to his mother's maiden name for an inheritance.)

Mary from Italy
21-04-13, 19:57
Also while transcribing, I've come across a lady called Enough Barker. Can't find her baptism (probably Essex, early 1800s), but I would imagine she was the last of a large brood :)

Shona
22-04-13, 08:01
Also while transcribing, I've come across a lady called Enough Barker. Can't find her baptism (probably Essex, early 1800s), but I would imagine she was the last of a large brood :)

I can just imagine the baptism!

Came across a lass named Plenty Penny when researching my Somerset branch. A comment on the cost of bringing up a large brood?

Shona
26-04-13, 23:02
What is it with the Scots?

Today, I came across a woman named Bruce Carstairs, wife of George, living in Dunfermline, Fife, in 1851.

Phoenix
28-04-13, 22:01
Ann Foot appears in Ancestry as Foot Both...

as in AB & CD both of this parish.

Shona
04-05-13, 13:41
Marcina Squelch - 1851 in Birmingham.

Mary from Italy
04-05-13, 15:06
That's as bad as my Belchers :)