PDA

View Full Version : '61 Lookup plus image if possible please

Glen TK
23-03-13, 15:04
Hi all

I'm missing the '61 census return for a rellie who is fast becoming the man with the biggest documented life of anyone in my tree.

John Goulson b 1836, Marston Lincolnshire.

'51 census he was an apprentice blacksmith living in Marston with his parents, they both passed away later that year.

1861 Marriage; 2nd Sept, Leicester Reg district to Mary Ann Freeman, her address at time of marriage is recorded in a book I found online and is given as Red Lion Inn, High Cross St, Leicester

'71 census a manager in a gas works and a beer seller near Boston, Lincs.

Thanks in advance

Anstey Nomad
23-03-13, 15:30
Already at Highcross Street at the time of the 1861 census:

Leicester St Martin 45 Highcross Street

Rebecca Freeman Head W 56 Licensed Victualler Leicestershire Desford
Mary A Freeman Dau S 27 Waitress(?) Leicestershire Desford
Susanna Philpott Dau W 25 Milliner Leicestershire Leicester
George Philpott G'son S 1 Aldershot(?)
John Goulson Boarder M 24 Whitesmith Lincolnshire Marston

The Red Lion is given as being #19, so I'm not sure if this is another pub. There seem to have been several in Highcross Street.

AN

Glen TK
23-03-13, 15:36
Thanks, that's close enough, I just found an early 1870's Leicester Directory with a correction on page 1 for the premises noted as "being too late for inclusion", presumably a late change to the victualler being the reason.

Just noticed he is recorded as married, wonder if that's an error or I've yet to find out the 51-61 period fully?

Just adding this for my own use later;

Name: Mary Ann Freeman
Christening Date: 06 Jan 1834
Christening Place: BELGRAVE,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
Birth Date: 28 Nov 1833

Father's Name: Joseph Freeman

Mother's Name: Rebecca

kiterunner
23-03-13, 15:59
Just noticed he is recorded as married, wonder if that's an error or I've yet to find out the 51-61 period fully?

It looks more like "Un" to me. The married people on that page have "Mar" and his entry matches the "Un" for the children on the page.

Glen TK
23-03-13, 16:58
Thanks, there isn't any likely marriage prior to Sep 61 (well let's just say that I have all the others elsewhere in my tree already).