22-03-13, 08:35
Name
Mary Ross

Date and place of birth
An Ancestry online tree has her birth as follows:
16 Apr 1729 in Standing Stones, Maryculter, Kincardineshire, Scotland

I haven't verified or disproved this.l

Names of parents
Alexander Ross and Henrietta Mores according to an Ancestry tree.
I need to investigate!

Date and place of baptism

Details of each of his or her marriages
Husband called Charles Laurie

Occupation(s)

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK)
Kincardineshire, Scotland

Date, place and cause of death

Date and place of burial

Details of will / administration of their estate

Memorial inscription

link to son James Laurie
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...t=James+Laurie

I haven't researched this. It's information that came to light when I posted James Laurie's thread thanks to Shona, and I need to investigate further.

Shona
22-03-13, 13:23
Checking on FS, Alexander Ross and Henrietta Mores/Morice had the following children in Maryculter.

- John, b 16 Feb 1716, bapt 16 Feb 1716, parents Alexr Ross and Henrieta Morice

- Margrat, b 25 Nov 1717, bapt 28 Nov 1717, parents Alexr Rose and Henreta Mores

- William, b 4 Dec 1719, bapt 7 Dec 1719, parents Allexander Ross and Henrieta Mores

- Kathrine, b 31 Jan 1722, bapt 4 Feb 1722, parents Alexander Ross and Henrieta Mores

- Andrew, b 19 Aug 1724, bapt 19 Aug 1724, parents Alexander Ross and Henrieta Mores

- Elisabeth, 18 Sept 1726, bapt 25 Sept 1726, parents Alexander Ross and Henrieta Mores

- Christan, b 17 May 1731, bapt 19 May 1731, parents Alexr Ross and Henreta Morice

- Mary Ross, b 16 April 1729, bapt 17 April 1729, parents Alexander Ross and Henrieta Mores

- James, b 13 May 1733, bapt 13 May 1733, parents Alexander Ross and Henreta Morice

ElizabethHerts
22-03-13, 16:13
Many thanks again, Shona. I'll have to research this line further. I've got visitors at the moment so it's on my to do list.

Shona
22-03-13, 17:07
You're welcome. I've been stumped for the past few weeks thanks to great-gran's father not being named anywhere and not being able to find the right McLean in a sea of McLeans with another branch.

tenterfieldjulie
23-03-13, 09:07
They are probably awol with my John Jaffrey/Ellen Thompson who disappeared in the wilds of Roxburgh .. Shona .. rotters lol Julie

ElizabethHerts
23-03-13, 09:15
You're welcome. I've been stumped for the past few weeks thanks to great-gran's father not being named anywhere and not being able to find the right McLean in a sea of McLeans with another branch.

Shona, I do sympathise. I'm perfectly happy researching my English branches, but the Scottish ones give me real headaches. I have rather a love/hate relationship with Scotland's People and don't know that many other sites.

tenterfieldjulie
23-03-13, 09:23
I'm the same Elizabeth .. should be able to find them and found them in 1841 but not sure if my Elizabeth is with her father, grandfather or great grandfather .. and then she is on her own in 1851 and then she migrates in 1855 her parents are supposedly dead .... but not sure where .. I was in contact with a Border Forum but they couldn't really give me any ideas .. I would love to know of a good research person on the Borders??? Julie

Shona
23-03-13, 10:04
I'm the same Elizabeth .. should be able to find them and found them in 1841 but not sure if my Elizabeth is with her father, grandfather or great grandfather .. and then she is on her own in 1851 and then she migrates in 1855 her parents are supposedly dead .... but not sure where .. I was in contact with a Border Forum but they couldn't really give me any ideas .. I would love to know of a good research person on the Borders??? Julie

I'm snowbound today, so happy to help people out with Scottish stuff. I have a subscription with Scotland's Places, so can always hunt for your people there. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can discover.

tenterfieldjulie
23-03-13, 10:09
You are a doll Shona.. I'll go track the threads down and what else I can find .. ooh goodie.. Many thanks.. Julie

Shona
23-03-13, 10:25
Just checking - it's John Jaffrey and Ellen Thompson? You mentioned Elizabeth. Ellen can turn up as Helen and Nelly. Jaffrey has a number of variants, inc Jeffrey, Japhray, etc.

I've already found a Jaffrey family in Ednam, Roxburgh, which looks good.

tenterfieldjulie
23-03-13, 10:38
Sent you a pm Shona .. yes, in the 1841 Ellen was Helen .. and lots of surname variants - in Aus she was named Elizabeth Jeffrey on her headstone, but found her in 1851 as I think Bessy Jeffrey and Elizabeth Jaffrey in 1841 (luckily in the 1851 Kersmains is crossed out as pob) .. I have visited both places and stayed twice at Kersmains with the lovely young couple who are now tenants of the Duke of Roxburgh. Julie (oops sorry Liza!!)

ElizabethHerts
23-03-13, 11:51
Sent you a pm Shona .. yes, in the 1841 Ellen was Helen .. and lots of surname variants - in Aus she was named Elizabeth Jeffrey on her headstone, but found her in 1851 as I think Bessy Jeffrey and Elizabeth Jaffrey in 1841 (luckily in the 1851 Kersmains is crossed out as pob) .. I have visited both places and stayed twice at Kersmains with the lovely young couple who are now tenants of the Duke of Roxburgh. Julie (oops sorry Liza!!)

Go for it, Julie - we need all the help we can with our Scottish ancestors.

tenterfieldjulie
23-03-13, 12:28
Thanks Elizabeth .. I think I'd better head for bed now .. off to Sydney on Monday.. I'll be in contact from there. Cheers. Julie

ElizabethHerts
23-03-13, 12:51
Take care, Julie. We're off on a trip to - trying to plant a memorial tree in frozen ground!

kiterunner
25-03-13, 08:11
I've just posted Mary's marriage on the Charles Laurie thread - Charles Loury married Mary Ross 22 Jun 1742 Nigg, Kincardine, Scotland. They had a daughter Isobel Lawrie born 29 Aug 1743 and baptised 4 Sep 1743 at Maryculter, Kincardine (all this is from FamilySearch.)

So it seems very unlikely that Mary was born in 1729.

If you view the image on Scotland's People there may be more info about Charles and Mary.

ElizabethHerts
25-03-13, 08:31
Thanks, Kate. Will investigate when I'm able.

Shona
25-03-13, 10:53
So it seems very unlikely that Mary was born in 1729.

I thought the same, too, but...

This is the birth/baptism on Family Search.

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Amary~%20%2Bsurname%3Aross~%20 %2Bbirth_place%3Amaryculter%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1729-1729~

A public tree on Ancestry names two witnesses to the baptism as William Mores of Standing Stones and William Tait of Burnside, Crainoch. Also according to that tree, Charles and Mary had their last child in 1771 - which would make her 42 at the time.

It was possible to marry from the age of 12 in Scotland at the time - rare admittedly. But from the research I have done, very young marriages were more common in the north east of Scotland than other areas.

I also wonder if the social conditions in the late 17th century (which impacted into the 18th century) may also explain a very young marriage. There was severe famine in the area in the late 1690s and a quarter of the population died - women and the young were more likely to be affected. Perhaps this lead to people getting hitched and having children younger than usual. Knitting stockings was the main source of income for women and they started this work at the age of seven.

As you say, Scotland's People may provide the answers.

kiterunner
25-03-13, 11:04
Yes, Shona, I saw that birth / baptism on FamilySearch, I just don't think it is likely to be the same Mary who married Charles. But hopefully the image on SP might have some info.

Shona
25-03-13, 11:07
There is 1 match for a Mary Ross born in Kincardine between 1720 and 1730 on SP.

kiterunner
25-03-13, 12:24
Nigg, where Charles and Mary got married, looks to be very close to Aberdeen, so I suppose it's possible that she was born in Aberdeenshire? There are a few possible baptisms in Aberdeen (on FamilySearch). It's a shame that Charles and Mary don't seem to have had many children, so we can't easily figure out Mary's parents' likely names from their children's names! (Two of their children were James and Isobel after Charles's parents.)

Shona
25-03-13, 16:32
This is a transcription of the marriage from the OPR - the ends of some of the lines are missing.

Nigg parish - 1742

May 21

Charles Loury in Mary-Culter and Mary Ross in this
parish declared their purpose of marriage consign(???)
pledges & adduced cautioners conform to law. Ja(???)
Loury in Tilliskeith cautioner for the man & Joh(????)
Hunter farmer in Kirk-hill cautioner for the wom(???)
proclaimed 1.2.3 & no impediment occurring they
married on June 22nd.

I wonder if John Hunter is related to Mary Ross?

Checking on FS:
1 John Hunter married Isabel Ross at Banchory Ternan on 25 August 1709.
2 John Hunter married Christian Rose on 23 June 1716 at Banchory Devenick.
3 John Hunter married Anne Ross on 1 June 1724 in Arbuthnot.