PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please

Kit
22-03-13, 00:36
My 4g grandparents immigrated to Australia in 1848. I have the assisted Immigrants passenger list for them. One of the questions is the name of your parents and if alive where they live.

Both my 4g grandparents list their parents names and residence. He says he was 49 and she was 60 on this list (they both knocked a couple of years off their ages) and that the couple mentioned above them on the list says their parents are dead, is it likely that my 5g grandparents for each side were alive?

Kit
22-03-13, 00:48
Scratch that. 4g grandfather's father is probably dead as he is not on the 1841 census. Mother was alive on the 1851 and living where stated on the form. I have a death date for the father but didn't record the source so I am off to look for that.

Given 4g grandma was 60, is it likely her parents were still alive?

Janet
22-03-13, 01:26
If it were my tree I think I would hold open the possibility, Toni. Some people did live to a ripe old age. I suppose the likelihood would depend on whether her parents were married very young or not, if she were among the first born or not, their inborn longevity, and the fickle finger of fate!

Kit
22-03-13, 09:42
Thanks Janet.

I'm going to re-search the 1841 census for everyone. I can't find the death for my supposedly dead 4g grandfather. Lots of ancestry trees have a death date but even familysearch isn't talking.

Fingers crossed. A bit more research and I'm hoping that a will I found is mine too.

marquette
22-03-13, 10:55
I found the assisted migrants records regarding parents were pretty accurate and very useful. They usually said whether they were still alive.

At 60, you might think 4x g grans parents would have probably died, but they may have been around for the 1841 census !

Happy hunting, hope you can find them

Mary from Italy
22-03-13, 18:07
In one line of my family all the women lived well into their nineties, even some born in the 18th century.