PDA

View Full Version : Directories for occupations/addresses of ancestors from Herford, Westfalen, Germany

tenterfieldjulie
20-03-13, 22:33
I have had an email from a friend who asked me the following:
“After 20 years, I have finally tracked three generations of baptisms and marriages of my German ancestors through Familysearch.
Do you know if there are any directories in German, to try to get any information on occupations or addresses for these people?
We hope to get to Germany later this year, to Herford, Westfalen where my family came from, but it would be even better if there was something more to look at than the Church where it all was recorded.”
Any suggestions really appreciated. Julie

kiterunner
20-03-13, 22:47
This is the only one I can find that is searchable online so far:

http://adressbuecher.genealogy.net/entry/book/475

The word Adressbuch and place name seem to be the best way to search for German directories on Google etc.

tenterfieldjulie
21-03-13, 06:38
Thanks Kate I will tell Katie lol

Durham Lady
22-03-13, 13:07
Julie they should enjoy the area if they get there, I used to do my shopping at Herford Naafi when we lived in Germany :)

tenterfieldjulie
22-03-13, 20:44
Oh lovely Daphne. K has been trying to unravel her family for a long time. I am looking forward to seeing her in Sydney and finding all about what has happened. I can't quite recall exact details, but the family were for a few generations in Canada before coming to Australia. Julie