PDA

View Full Version : How many avenues do you explore?

Phoenix
19-03-13, 23:13
I started off by simply looking at the families in a hamlet whom I knew to be related, then tracing their descendants. This was prompted by a whole ghetto of them living in Portsmouth: clearly the kinship and friendship ties kept them together.

But now I find I am diving down every rabbit hole, chasing spouses, and their parents, and their parents. Emma Mary Watton was a small (but fascinating!) twiglet, but this evening I've been looking at the will of her stepfather's uncle.

Is it rational? Is this sane?

Shona
19-03-13, 23:39
It's fun and exciting - isn't that enough? Emma isn't even a cell in a twiglet in my gnarled tree, but it was enjoyable looking for her. It's the search and sense of excitement at a discovery that is so addictive.

ElizabethHerts
20-03-13, 06:29
Phoenix, I'm so nosy/inquisitive that I too seize upon anything interesting and go up and down the generations, often of people who are twiglets upon my tree. As Shona says, the search and detective work are a huge part of the enjoyment, and the result is the icing on the cake.

Lindsay
20-03-13, 07:34
Not forgetting that sometimes these sideshoots lead back to your main tree in a way you never expected!

Phoenix
20-03-13, 07:48
That is my theory, Lindsay. I know how my ancestors would probably have travelled from Poole to Portsmouth because I made contact with the descendant of their neighbours who had migrated at about the same time. His ancestor lived to be 100 and was full of stories. And I was subsequently able to pass that information on to an australian branch of the family who had been searching independently.

maggie_4_7
20-03-13, 19:31
Not forgetting that sometimes these sideshoots lead back to your main tree in a way you never expected!

Oh yes. I am always being distracted by offshoots and then think errr hold on what am I doing but sometimes I have followed the trail and it leads right back to where I wanted to be with the information that I needed.

Asa
20-03-13, 19:50
Every avenue that interests me and all sorts of things grab my interest - and I'm so glad I record things that don't always seem to be closely related - having a wonderful week of genealogy after the Oxfordshire wills appeared on Origins. Several things I noted from PRs about twenty years ago have been such a help because several loosely connected families have turned out to be be closely related on other sides.

marquette
20-03-13, 20:47
I have chased up and down many branches - partly because some of OH's branches and some of mine came from the same small areas of a county and I wanted to find out if there was any other inter-marriages over the years (aside from ours, of course).

I have never found another direct marriage of the two families in Berkshire, but both appear to have married into the same families at one time or another.

I will chase down every descendent or ancestor, because I love the hunt and sometimes there are very interesting stories to be found. I do sometimes wonder, how far should I go, but I keep going until I can find no more.

Olde Crone
20-03-13, 22:00
I go so far sideways I often meet myself coming round the corner. As you have all remarked, not wasted effort at all because it often throws up connections you wouldn't ever have found by "normal" research paths.

OC

tenterfieldjulie
21-03-13, 07:52
A cousin did research on our Slomans in Somerset on a trip to UK 20+ years ago .. and he didn't know if the families were connected .. Now he finds from online research and online contacts that the familes are connected and he is very chuffed ..

Kit
22-03-13, 09:55
Phoenix I'm not sure sane and rational are 2 words that describe our hobby but if you are happy doing it then carry on. It is a hobby, there are no rules so do what you want.

Phoenix
22-03-13, 19:18
Lol, Kit. That is more or less exactly the response I used to give my mother when she said I ought to research my direct line (by which she meant my father's father's father). This never stopped her being fascinated by the females and thrilled to discover that Eleanor of Acquitaine, one of her personal heroines, was an ancestor by a very convoluted route.

Margaret in Burton
22-03-13, 19:29
Blimey if I stuck to OH's father's line I'd be stuck at his grandfather. Peter Henry Harrison 1885-1965.

Phoenix
22-03-13, 19:45
I think I remember that name;)

Olde Crone
22-03-13, 21:37
...and I'd be stuck on James Hidey-Holden. The little scamp.

OC

Shona
23-03-13, 18:22
...and I'd be stuck on James Hidey-Holden. The little scamp.OC

And why is he such a wee scamp, OC?

Olde Crone
23-03-13, 22:26
Oh, Shona, you'll be sorry you asked!

Fell to earth a fully formed adult in 1858 aged 34. Smiled nicely in 1861, 71 and 81, then went back to Mars till his death amongst strangers in 1898. On earth of course.

I THINK I have his birth and I have researched trees back from that birth to the year dot. But all speculative really till I have absolute proof I have the correct birth.

Every time I give up on this man, REALLY give up, he pops out from behind a stone and waves a tiny clue at me.........the little stinker.

OC

tenterfieldjulie
23-03-13, 23:53
Don't think he arrived as Olden and picked up the H along the way? ... scarpers off thread rapidly ..

Olde Crone
24-03-13, 11:35
*Glares at Julie*

OC

Shona
24-03-13, 13:11
Fell to earth...went back to Mars

Listening to David Bowie, OC?

Phoenix
24-03-13, 13:17
*smirks* I decided to go back to basics and have found a marriage taking me back to a baptism in 1685.

(*double smirk as NOBODY using Ancestry has spotted it yet*)

Lindsay
24-03-13, 13:24
Love it when that happens!

maggie_4_7
24-03-13, 14:14
*smirks* I decided to go back to basics and have found a marriage taking me back to a baptism in 1685.

:) knowingly.

marquette
27-03-13, 22:44

I have one of them too, a marriage which links back to Berkshire and well published parish registers, which take the tree back to the early 1600s.

I cannot find anyone else on Ancestry who has found it yet !

(*smiling, smugly and superior*)

Di

Nell
06-04-13, 09:51
Sometimes I get so involved chasing nephews of daughters-in-law of someone else that I forget what I was originally looking for! However, our ancestors didn't live in a vacuum and its useful to learn about their rellies by marriage and neighbours etc. Quite often of course the neighbours become rellies by marriage - and vice versa! It all adds background which is useful when the foreground is obscured.