PDA

View Full Version : Death certificate question

Asa
15-03-13, 07:42
Would the death certificate of a spinster in 1849 name her long deceased father?

I've found the will on British Origins of a spinster who names her sister Elizabeth Piercey as her beneficiary. My great x 4 grandmother appears as sister to the same Elizabeth Piercey in 1861. There is a gap in the parish registers where they were born for a few years so although I feel very confident I have the parents of the three sisters, I could do with some evidence.

Phoenix
15-03-13, 07:52
I don't think I've ever acquired an adult spinster's death certificate.

I would have said it was unlikely, but you might gain a clue from an informant if their relationship was stated.

Asa
15-03-13, 08:07
I have an adult (23) spinster from 1886 which states her as 'the daughter of'- women were usually either wife widow or daughter of but I haven't got anything from this time. I'll probably get the cert anyway but unfortunately only the father's name would really help because the only baptism of possible siblings belongs to a child who died at four

kiterunner
15-03-13, 08:13
I've got one from 1839 which just says "Spinster", but it is possible that the one you are asking about might have more info. I have some later ones which do give father's name. I think the only way to find out would be to order it.

Asa
15-03-13, 09:21
Thanks Kate - I will. I shall just wait to see if I need to buy more British Origins credits first :-)

HarrysMum
15-03-13, 09:56
The Ariel females were "daughter of" on their deaths whether they were married or not.

Asa
15-03-13, 10:50
Thanks Libby - I've not seen 'daughter of' on a married woman's death cert yet

JBee
15-03-13, 16:17
Have you thought about looking at the death entry in the parish records - if she was buried at the local church it might give more details.

Asa
16-03-13, 14:41
Thanks Julie - I tried one church today but the more likely one's records are at Oxford I think. However I did find a burial for an uncle which has led to a will which has linked up so many of my previously unconnected families I'm practically in ecstasies :-)

Tom Tom
23-03-13, 18:01
The majority of spinster death certificates I have do include "Daughter of" even when the lady was elderly.

Suppose it depends on the Registrar at the time. Would you be able to contact the local RO and say you only want the certificate if it says specifically daughter of...?

tenterfieldjulie
23-03-13, 23:59
Shona found a pension of Isabella Jaffrey in Paris -
"Non: Isabella Jaffrey; Naissance: 17 July 1791; Lieux: Kersmains, Angleterre
Pension: 530, 2 Janvier 1862; Domicile: Paris (Seine)."
These are my Jaffrey family of Kersmains farm, Roxburghshire in Scotland who I am trying to unravel. I wonder if her death certificate could be found, what information would there be on a French dc for her parents? Julie

Janet
24-03-13, 04:52
Have a look at this, Julie.

Isabella Jaffray death 1858 Roxburgh age 67 (http://trees.ancestry.fr/tree/22133777/person/1189880978/media/5?pgnum=1&pg=0&pgpl=pid%7cpgNum)

tenterfieldjulie
24-03-13, 06:06
I don't have a sub to Ancestry at the moment Janet, but it looks Very confusing, but then all the Jaffrey family are, see my Elizabeth thread lol I'll keep that noted for when I return from Sydney. Thanks Janet. Julie

Shona
24-03-13, 09:09
It's a different Isabella Jaffrey! I'll posts the details on the other thread.

tenterfieldjulie
24-03-13, 09:17
Thanks Shona... I will post on other thread too.