PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the occupants of a house in Barmouth in 1908

Zoemcdougall
10-03-13, 06:27
How would I go about finding out who were the occupants or owners of a house in 1908. I have the address I would like to research but not sure how to go about it.

Any help would be be greatly appeciated

ElizabethHerts
10-03-13, 06:51
Do you know who the occupants in 1911?
What is the address - we could have a look for you.

Zoemcdougall
10-03-13, 07:10
The address is 1 Coventry Terrace, Park Road Barmouth, North Wales on my great aunt;s birth cert this is the residence of the time of her birth. I don't know for sure who the occupants were in 1911, but in 1908 my Great grandparents Edward & Mary give this as their address. I don't know if they owned the house or just visiting etc. In 1911 Mary & Edward were living in Pendryndeudraeth Railway Crossing if my memory serves me correctly.

Zoemcdougall
10-03-13, 09:45
Can you search electoral rolls for 1908, if this can be done how would I go about it.

Guinevere
10-03-13, 10:08
If they still exist they would be held at the county record office or (perhaps) a local studies centre.

Merry
10-03-13, 10:11
You would need to ask the local record office or main library where copies of the electoral rolls are held for Barmouth. If you are lucky you might get the library to do the look up for you, From personal experience I would be surprised if it took them longer than five minutes to select the nearest book to 1908 (where I live they have one a year in the Edwardian period) guess which electoral ward the street might be in (probably just from personal knowledge of where the street is/was or they might have to check on a map first) and then look at the alphabetical street listings within the ward for the street you need and then check out who was recorded for the number you require. Not everyone will be listed though and if you only get one name (probably the male householder) and it is a common name it might not be easy to work out who they actually are unless they were perhaps still there in 1911 or were already there in 1901.

Phoenix
10-03-13, 10:48
Street directories or rates books (which, if they survive, are usually held by local studies rather than record offices) would be a better bet in 1908.

It was only after WW1 that you get all men (and women over 30) able to vote.

Zoemcdougall
10-03-13, 11:35
Sorry to sound really dumb !! but what do you mean "by Local studies". This is new to me.

Phoenix
10-03-13, 20:08
Many libraries will have a local studies section. These will house records local to the area: newspapers, photographs, street directories, electoral rolls etc etc. The records are often, but not always, printed material.

What a Local Studies Library contains varies hugely from place to place. Our Local Studies Library is also an archive and holds rates books, school admission registers and the records of local government.

Zoemcdougall
11-03-13, 07:10
Thankyou for all your help.

Zoemcdougall
13-03-13, 10:45
Would I be able to find who owned a house from the 1901 census, or would I have to go to the records office for this info, the house in question is Storehouse or Stonehouse, Manthrig lane Caersws..

kiterunner
13-03-13, 11:12
The 1901 census doesn't show house ownership, sorry. I don't think the record office will have this info for 1901 either.

Zoemcdougall
14-03-13, 06:46
Ok Thankyou Kate,