PDA

View Full Version : Edward's children

Zoemcdougall
08-03-13, 10:32
I now have all the birth certs for the children, does't appear that any of them were a twin,. Could the one stated on the 1911 as died, could it have been still born & if so would they have to register it. also only 1 child's birth cert as the father with a middle of Humphrey. I have marriage certs for 3 of his children just waiting for 2 more. No middle name for Edward on them. On his Eldest childs birth occupation of father Daryman that was in 1 1899. All the others have either Railway labourer, platelayer or Forman platelayer. In 1908 Edward his wife & children were living in Barmouth

kiterunner
08-03-13, 12:18
Could the one stated on the 1911 as died, could it have been still born & if so would they have to register it.

The Stillbirth Register was started in 1927, so stillbirths before that date would not have been registered. But the column headings on the 1911 census refer to children born alive so should not include stillbirths. Of course not everyone filled it in correctly.

Merry
08-03-13, 12:19
If the baby/child who died before 1911 had breathed then there should be a birth and death registration. If the child was still born then there will be no registration at all as the still births register (which is not a compulsory registration system) was not introduced until the 1920s.

kiterunner
08-03-13, 12:57
It looks most likely that the child who died would come between Elizabeth and Mary Jane jr who are 9 and 5 respectively on the 1911 census. There are lots of possibles in Newtown district and then you would have to look at Dolgelly district too because they had moved there by the time Dorothy was born.

Zoemcdougall
08-03-13, 16:11
Thankyou for you replies, what do you think I should do now, if indeed there is anything I could do .

kiterunner
08-03-13, 16:28
I can only come up with the same ideas I did before - local newspaper announcements or baptisms.

But did you say that at least one of Edward's children is still alive? Or am I confusing them with someone else? If they are still alive, then maybe s/he would know about the child who died?

Zoemcdougall
08-03-13, 17:08
Yes Kate, Edward's youngest child is still alive she's 97, She won't talk about her family. as she doesn't want to dig up old history. I don't even know if any of his children had been baptised, or how I would go about finding out if they had been baptised, as all the children that I know of were born in different areas according to their birth certs.

kiterunner
08-03-13, 17:43
Not very easy as Methodist baptisms are not always available at record offices.

Zoemcdougall
08-03-13, 18:28
would I need to contact, Newtown & Dolgellu records offices. if they are where I need to help me.

kiterunner
08-03-13, 18:36
It would be Powys County Archives Office:
http://www.powys.gov.uk/index.php?id=647&L=0#

I can't work out what Methodist baptisms they hold from looking at their website but they will be able to tell you.

Zoemcdougall
08-03-13, 18:47
Thankyou Kate

JBee
08-03-13, 19:34
Did the family have a family grave - checking the records of whose interred could possibly say there's a stillborn baby there too - as it did for OH's grandmother's plot.

Zoemcdougall
08-03-13, 19:46
I know that Edward & his wife Mary are buried in Minffordd Cemetery, as are 2 of his children William & Dorothy with Spouses. Edwards other children 1 is buried in Llanasa, 1 in Fairbourne.. one still alive.