PDA

View Full Version : Edward Houghton

kiterunner
08-03-13, 09:51
Name - "official" name and what they were known as Edward Houghton
Date and place of birth Not found
Names of parents Not found
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Not found
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 16 Feb 1779 to Betty Southworth at St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
Occupation(s) - if any Innkeeper
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). 1783 - 1803 Pickup Bank / Yate Bank, Blackburn, Lancashire
Date, place and cause of death Not found
Date and place of burial. Not found
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Not found
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to son's thread:
Richard Houghton (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=12224)

kiterunner
08-03-13, 10:03
His first marriage is unlikely to be the 1781 one at Leyland to Elizabeth Dawson because there is an Edward and Elizabeth couple having children baptised at Leyland when my Edward and Betty are having children at Pickup Bank.

It could be the marriage 16 Feb 1779 at St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, between Edmund Hoghton and Betty Southworth, but Edmund's occupation on that is weaver.

kiterunner
08-03-13, 10:15
There are two possible burials for Edward Houghton at St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn:
25 Jun 1829 age 72, abode Piccop Bank
13 Feb 1835 age 64, abode Yate Bank.

The second one fits with the age on the marriage to the second Betty. I wonder if I could have merged two different Edward Houghtons into one here! If there are two, my OH's ancestor is the one who married Betty Duckworth, widow, in 1799, so that 1835 burial should be him.

kiterunner
08-03-13, 22:32
Oh dear, it looks likely that there were two Edward and Betty couples living at Pickup Bank / Yate Bank at the same time and now I'm not sure which couple were my Richard's parents. Think I will have to look at this tomorrow.

kiterunner
10-03-13, 15:15
Trying to sort them out, these are all from Lancs OPC, but how many different families and who goes with whom!?:

Michael Houghton bap 12 Jan 1783 St James, Darwen, son of Edward and Elisabeth, Pickup Bank
Mary Houghton bap 27 Feb 1785 St James, Darwen, daughter of Edward and Betty, Pickup Bank
Esther Houghton bap 1 Oct 1786 St James, Darwen, daughter of Edward and Betty, Pickup Bank
Alice Houghton bap 25 Apr 1790 St James, Darwen, daughter of Edward and Betty, Pickup Bank
John Houghton bap 13 May 1792 St James, Darwen, son of Edward and Betty, Pickup Bank
Ann Hoghton bap 11 May 1794 St James, Darwen, daughter of Edmund and Betty, Pickup Bank
Willm Hoghton bap 10 May 1795 St James, Darwen, son of Edmund and Agnes, Yate Bank
Peggy Hoghton bap 10 May 1795 St James, Darwen, daughter of Edmund and Agnes, Yate Bank
Dolly Houghton bap 28 Feb 1796 St James, Darwen, daughter of Edmund and Mary, Pickup Bank
John Hoghton bap 9 Aug 1797 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, son of Edward and Agnes, born Jul 1797, Yate Bank
Sally Hoghton bap 21 Feb 1798 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, daughter of Edward and Betty, born Jan 1798, Pickup Bank
Richard Hoghton bap 21 Aug 1799 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, son of Edward and Betty, born 18 Jul 1799, Pickup Bank
Edward Houghton bap 27 Oct 1799 St James, Darwen, son of Edward and Alice, Pickup Bank
Alice Houghton bap 21 Apr 1802 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, daughter of Edward and Alice, Yate Bank
Sally Houghton bap 21 Apr 1802 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, daughter of Edward and Betty, Yate Bank
John Hoghton bap 27 Nov 1803 St James, Darwen, son of Edmund and Alice, Yate Bank
William Hoghton bap 11 Jan 1804 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, son of Edward and Betty, Pickup Bank
Betty Hoghton bap 9 Apr 1806 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, daughter of Edmund and Alice, born 29 Feb 1806, Pickup Bank
Betty Houghton bap 29 Jul 1813 St Paul, Blackburn, daughter of Edmund and Betty, born 5 Jul 1813, Yate Pickup Bank
Richard Houghton bap 3 Mar 1815 St Paul, Blackburn, son of Edward and Betty, born 9 Jan 1815, Yate Bank

Burials:
John Hoghton buried 20 Jun 1790 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, son of Edward, Yate Bank, poor
Thomas Hoghton buried 10 Jul 1790 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, son of Edward, age 1, Pickup Bank
Agnes Houghton buried 4 Jun 1798 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, wife of Edward, age 18 years, Yate Bank
Dolly? Houghton buried 6 Jun 1798 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, daughter of Edward, age 5 months, Pickup Bank
Betty Haughton buried 29 Jul 1809 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, daughter of Edward, age 3, Pickup Bank
Alice Houghton buried 3 Oct 1811 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, daughter of Edward, age 21, Yate Bank
Peggy Hoghton buried 17 Aug 1813 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, daughter of Edmund and Agnes, age 18, Yate Bank
Richd Houghton buried 26 Dec 1813 St James, Over Darwen, son of Edmund and Betty, age 2 days, Pickop Bank
Betty Houghton buried 6 Apr 1817 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, age 55, Yate Bank
Betty Houghton buried 27 Jun 1819 Lower Chapel, Over Darwen, age 28th (i.e. 27), Pickupbank
Betty Houghton buried 24 Jul 1827 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, age 73, Pickup-bank
Edward Houghton buried 25 Jun 1829 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, age 72, Piccop Bank
Betty Haughton buried 21 Jan 1835 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, age 57, Pickup Bank
Edward Houghton buried 13 Feb 1835 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, age 64, Yate Bank

Marriages:
16 Feb 1779 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Edmund Hoghton, weaver, Blackburn, married Betty Southworth, spinster, Blackburn, witnesses Peter Nevill and John Nevill
20 Jun 1779 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Edmund Hoghton, weaver, Blackburn, married Alice Holden, spinster, Blackburn
23 Jun 1794 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Edward Hoghton, weaver, Blackburn, married Agnes Holgate, spinster, Blackburn
28 Jan 1799 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Edward Hoghton, innkeeper, Blackburn, married Betty Duckworth, widow, Haslingden (licence application says he is a widower age 28, abode Yate Bank)
20 Jan 1805 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Edward Hoghton, bachelor, Blackburn, married Alice Leaver, spinster, Blackburn
15 Aug 1811 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Edward Hoghton, weaver, widower, Blackburn, married Betty Becket, spinster, Blackburn

kiterunner
10-03-13, 15:26
The Edward who died in 1835 could be the one who married Betty Duckworth as his age fits. And presumably he is the one who was previously married to Agnes. It looks likely that this Edward is the father of two Richards - one who died in 1813 age 2 days and another one baptised in 1815, in which case he can't be the father of my Richard as he was born in 1799 and they wouldn't have named two more children Richard while he was still alive (well, I know it could happen, but extremely unlikely.) (Except there is that other Edward and Betty who got married in 1811! Agh!)

So, it looks more likely that my Richard's parents are the other Edward and Betty, and they could be Edmund Hoghton and Betty Southworth who got married in 1779. This Edward could be the one buried 1829 age 72 and there are a few possibles for Betty's burial.

What do you think?

Shona
17-03-13, 15:54
I agree with you that Edward Hoghton who married Agnes Holgate went on to marry Betty Duckworth.

As regards the two Richards (bap 1813 and bap 1815), I thought that they were more likely to be the offspring of the Edward who married Betty Beckett in 1811.

So it's a choice between the Edward who married Betty Southworth or the other Edward who married 1) Agnes Holgate and 2) Betty Duckworth.

I reckon the evidence (circumstantial!) points towards Edward and Betty Southworth.

I've been seeing if there were any naming trends that may distinguish between the two Edwards, so tried to go further back with the family name in the area.

Edward Houghton married Alice Hoyle in 1754 in Haslingden had the following children baptised there.

- 1755, John
- 1756, Anne
- 1756, Giles
- 1757, Richard
- 1759, Edward
- 1760, Betty
- 1761, John

The Edward baptised in 1759 above could be the Edward who married Betty Southworth and who died in 1829 at the age of 72 - the ages seem to fit quite well.

Edward and Betty Southworth named one of their daughters Alice. The other Edward was married to Agnes Holgate at the time Alice was baptised, so I think we are OK with her parentage.

So do you think there is a chance that Richard (bap 1799) could have been named after his father's brother, Richard?

kiterunner
17-03-13, 16:08
Yes, could be. Thanks, Shona. I think you're probably right about the 1813 and 1815 Richards. There are just too many of these Houghtons!

tenterfieldjulie
24-03-13, 07:47
My goodness they are worse than the Schofields ..... who would have thought there would be so many Edward Houghton/Hoghtons and Betty?? .. I also used to think to be a weaver was quite rare .. but in some areas they seem to be endless .. well done ladies.. Julie